Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep apnea and sleeve surgery?

Just had a question for anyone who knows--sleep apnea is one of my conditions. Recently I've been making a regular effort to use the CPAP that was issued to me back in 2008. I won't pretend it's easy--sometimes I wake up at 0-dark-thirty half asleep and rip it off my face because it's itchy, bothersome, and blowing air out weird places on the mask. I'm hardly aware of what I'm doing (at the time).

I had read that sleep apnea can be a concern with surgery, specifically an article said, "After surgery, you will be given pain killing drugs, which affect normal breathing and reflexes. Airway blockage becomes most dangerous at this time."

I was looking into getting a sleep apnea dental appliance, but it's costly and not covered by my insurance. Having only the CPAP, what is the best way to keep myself safe before and after this procedure? Do I bring the CPAP to the hospital with me? Do the doctors monitor this somehow when they're giving me IV painkillers in the hospital? Do I make sure to put it on at home before I take any pain killers they give me and fall asleep?

Sorry for all the questions; you guys have been great about information.

Yes, I would bring it to the hospital with you. Weight loss helps minimize or eliminate sleep apnea, but not until you lose a fair amount of weight.

I don't know how severe your sleep apnea is so by all means talk to your surgeon and do what you are told...I think it is usually a requirement to bring to the hospital. I was told after a few months I wouldn't need a cpap after losing some weight, no one seems very concerned about my sleep apnea.

I take my bipap with me to all surgery ..

I can not use Cpap I did the same thing plus it would give me bad headaches , the bipap rocks

I can't speak for during or after surgery yet but it really sounds like you need to talk to your respiratory therapist about options. If your mask is leaking in weird places your not getting good suction which is why you might be waking up in the middle of the night. Also, if your mask is 6 years old, it's possible you might just need a new one. Usually insurance will cover replacements. Is the hospital doing a sleep study on you before your surgery? Maybe you should ask about a nasal pillow instead of a mask. They are a little less intrusive.

I also have sle ep apnea and have been instructed to bring my Cpap to the Hospital with me. My surgery date is July 14th. During surgery you will have a device that will keep your airways open. Hope that helps

Edited by kathysleeve

I too have apena. I was told just to bring the tubing and mask. The hospital provides the machine. However I will say I never used the machine in the hospital.

Bring your CPAP with you to the hospital. You may need it after surgery, not during surgery. Your vital signs will be monitored while in the hospital and receiving pain medication so don't worry. Once you are discharged, you should use your CPAP as instructed, as well as for naps the first day that you're home and/or if you're still taking pain medication. Good luck to you.

I too have apena. I was told just to bring the tubing and mask. The hospital provides the machine. However I will say I never used the machine in the hospital.

The settings on the CPap in the hospital will be set to different calibrations, unless your dr conveys that information to the hospital staff. You might want to ask.

The concern is that narcotic pain medicines depress your respiratory system, so when you pair that with obstructive sleep apnea there is a very real danger that a person can stop breathing if sleeping while on narcotics without the CPAP.

Thanks for all your input. Update: My last sleep study and CPAP assignment was in 2008 so my PCP's office called today and is working on getting me a more recent one (with more accurate air calibration). I emailed my bariatric surgeon, who said:

Both OSA and low thyroid are ok if stable and treated. We have many pts with untreated OSA—but around the time of surgery “we treat everyone as if they have it” with maximal vigilance.

I am comfortable that your risks are not notably increased with these two well-managed issues.

So I guess he's on top of it. I'll just make sure I have a CPAP to use at home for when I take those after surgery pain meds and zonk out (keep airway open).

Edited by Skywalker