Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello, my name is Anxiety. What's yours? 2 wks to go

Hi everyone,
My husband and I start our liquid/1 meal diet day after tomorrow (5th). I've been trying not to think bout any of this because I get too much anxiety. But I keep thinking (and mourning?) about not being able to eat the foods that I like and taste oh so good ever again! :( Makes me kind of depressed. Then I start wondering if I'm doing the right thing. I hope this is normal. I hope I don't regret this decision. Otherwise I'm just trying not to think about it ;)

And today I spoke with a friend who had a RNY and she got an intestinal leak about 5 yrs after her surgery (2003) and one of my other friends did too and almost died. However, I know both of them ate foods they weren't supposed to be eating, and too much, so that's probably why. But this worries me too! Will this happen to me? Better not! lol

I think I will write down why I want to be healthy and thin, just as a reminder, and keep it with me to pull out whenever I need reassurance. I have pictures of my very obese mom and sister that I look at and that's a quick jolt back to reality and why I'm doing this. I AM following exactly in her path and I just CANNOT let that happen.

Two weeks. EEK!

ANXIETY! I've got one of my mother in laws and her husband are flying in to help us in a week and a half and I'm totally stressing because of that too. It's a long story but he has not been allowed back here for 7 yrs because he wrote a really mean letter to me saying how 'dirty and messy' our house is and some other stuff, but we had just moved into this brand new house then and nothing was "dirty" or "messy", we didn't even have any furniture! Well, the house has been lived in now and we do have 3 kids and 3 pets so no matter what I do right now it will never be as "dirty" or "messy" as it was 7 yrs ago no matter how clean I make it. :( So he better keep his mouth shut about it or I will tell him to leave. We moved away from family on purpose and they keep coming to visit! ugh Two months later the other set of my in laws are coming for their annual visit I keep praying they're not able to make! They stress me out so much. :( I just hope I don't have a nervous breakdown in the next two weeks.

On a difference subject: I am making notes for my surgeon to ask him:

1) Please don't make me pee in a cup for a pregnancy test. It is very humiliating and 'rubs it in', even when I did have a uterus and tied tubes (PCOS, infertility). No uterus and tubes and I don't ovulate anyway = no baby even remotely possible. He's doing blood work anyway so do the preg test that way if "mandatory". I hate peeing in cups. SO GROSS

2) Lidocaine before IV insertion please (they usually have to poke me 3 or so times because I'm dehydrated or all my blood is somewhere other than my hands because of my anxiety.)

3) Please have the anesthesiologist come in and give me something to relax me AS SOON AS I get there PLEASE! This is VERY important for someone who has GAD. Even waiting for an hour is killer. I know they can do this because I've had it done before. I hate it when they don't listen to me about this and just shrug it off. And then I get angry and start being a B to them and then feel guilty afterwards so PLEASE give me some happy juice. Just a little!
It is going to take everything in my power NOT to take some of the Lorazapam that I have!!

4) Please have me go before my husband! (see #3)

I pray he will help me with these.

I need that numbing stuff for IVs too. I had RNY on June 10th (wow, has it been a month??!). The first couple days was total buyers remorse, but since then I've felt fantastic! Walk as much as possible in the hospital, it really helps. And good luck!

PS: if you don't already, I suggest journaling. It helps with the anxiety before and emotions after!

About the IV insertion an anesthesiologist can do it easier then the nurses can in my opinion especially with hard to find veins. I had them do mine from knowing from a previous surgery.

I agree write things down on how you are feeling it will help.

When something pops in your mind about anything concerning the procedure write down and ask the surgeon's office right away.

I would alert your surgeon to your requests that you mention here right away so they can put in your chart and maybe inform the hospital too.

Before you are given happy juice make sure you have everything written down that you want done to you and give it to your husband and/or the nurse to make sure your wishes are carried out.

Try to relax as much as possible and the best to you both on your surgeries.

Hi Karen,

I feel the same way as you my surgery is not until Aug. 8 th. I have not practiced chewing and sipping slowly. There are days I ask myself if I will be able to do this. I start my liquid 3 weeks before and I hope it goes well. Wishing you the best!

I'm a tough stick for IVs too and mine collapse after about 24 hours, so during my 6 days in the hospital (got readmitted for pneumonia) I had 5 IVs. I was a complete wreck about that! I asked for the house doctor once and he just happened to be a pediatrician and he was fine with tiny little veins and crying patients. I also requested and got a PICC line nurse (I think they're called) -- the ones who have to put PICC lines in if you need them. She wrapped my arm in a hot, thick wet towel and put a plastic bag on my arm and left it there for about 10 minutes before attempting a stick. That worked really well.

I've also asked for the anesthesiologist before and that worked well. When I was readmitted to the hospital they sent a girl in to take blood and she had "STUDENT" on her name badge bigger than her name. I very politely told her she was probably a great student but I'm a tough stick and she wasn't going to practice on me.

I feel like such a PITA when I do it but it's my body and IVs and blood draws are one of my big phobias, so they can just deal with it! :)