Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gym routine help please

I'm 7 weeks post op VSG, I have been attending Planet Fitness for the last 3 weeks and I'm needing some routine advice. I would like to know what you think is the best machinery or workout to tighten skin that will begin to loosen as I lose weight. Or if you know of any websites that will lead me to get the best results for my effort. I currently weigh 358lbs at my 6 week checkup, and I started this journey at 413lbs.

I personally would if your gym offers it a trainer to teach you what to do and as soon as you have the routine down then continue to do it on your own.

That is what I plan on doing at this point in my exercise routine.

I agree with Chelly, look into getting a personal trainer.

Dont worry so much about loose skin. Balance is what needs to be consintrated on. Because of weight your body has adapted to support it. Now that it is coming off your core will need to handle your body differently. Its very commom for those of us that lose lots of weight to end up with back issues because of this.

If you dont want to spend money on a personal trainer, try bodybuilding.com They have plans for women based on yours goals - gaining muscles, toning, etc. All their plans are free and some even come with a meal plan, like Jamie Eason's LiveFit Trainer, which is 12 weeks. You dont have to do the complete workout, but its a good starting point. If you dont know the exercises google them or ask a trainer at the gym to demonstrate. Its a lot cheaper than paying for individual training sessions :)

I'd go with a trainer. I actually purchased 8 sessions in the 8 weeks leading up to surgery and I learned SO much. She helped me with the form so I could avoid injury and was able to evaluate and help me know what I needed to work on most.

I haven't been cleared to start lifting again, so I'm waiting on that, but then will get another package and start up again. It's great motivation to work out with a trainer (I did once a week) and then do the exercises on your own between sessions.

I think it's a good investment in your health to help you avoid strains or injuries, too.

While weight training will help strengthen and rebuild muscle (we lose muscle mass with weight loss), there is not much that can be done with loose skin. Muscle can fill it out somewhat, but once that skin is stretched, it generally doesn't come back. Many people who undergo WLS will consider plastic surgery to deal with loose skin. With that said, as many posters have stated, a personal trainer can help with establishing a routine for you based on your goals.

Planet Fitness has FREE personal trainers available on staff. There is NO charge for their services. Since you have a PF membership, I;d suggest talking to one of the trainers at your PF gym. Most have degrees in phys ed training, and they are happy to offer advice, training and guidance. Take advantage of the free advice.

I use the treadmill at PF on a daily basis... for me, it works fine; and I see many members thar are in the same shape I am in, so I don't feel embarassed or intimidated being there.

I signed up yesterday to see the trainer on Monday and to start a more intense regimen that'll give me the results I want. Thank you all for your wonderful advice, y'all are awesome!

Good luck @@tamalyn! I think going to a trainer is your best bet...one because you risk injury if you try to go it alone, but also, if you set an appointment with a trainer, you're more apt to go to the gym. Same goes for a workout buddy - you'll cancel on yourself, but not another person who is relying on you to go.

Great job and keep up the good work!

I just started to work out after 3 months of my surgery and I have been just using the eliptical and the treadmill. And I do a lot of ab exercises to build my core. I have not started with weights yet and thinking of buying some so I can do the arms at home. I like kettle bells. I think getting a trainer is good id you can afford it. They know which exercises work best for certain parts of your body. Here in my area sessions are like 75-100 an hr. Good luck!

I had a trainer and she was brutal. A slave driving taskmistress. Because of her I dabble in kettlebells (I don't do a lot of fancy expert moves but a basic swing is a fabulous total body move that will make you struggle to sit to pee for days LOL!). I also like using a barbell to do deadlifts. Deadlifts really target the hamstrings.

If you are interested in lifting weights, make sure to exercise opposing muscle groups to stay balanced. If you work on your chest, work on your back the same day. If you do biceps, don't forget your triceps. Hamstrings and quads. A lot of people will do ab work but not do low back work - so if you do crunches, do some planks to engage your low back. You don't need to do fancy moves, just make sure to do basic moves with the best form you can. You can always make things more challenging by lifting a heavier weight.

I agree with "Racewalker" for the most part. Too many variables exist to accurately tell you if lifting will help with skin issues....age, skin type, time elapsed since weight loss, amount of total weight loss, etc. I do think that if you have very minor issues with loose skin, lifting consistantly and building muscle can help some. But if you have major loose skin, even the most dedicated lifting routine will probably do very little to improve the loose skin since we gain fat easier and without a ceiling as opposed to the difficulty in gaining muscle to fill in where the fat once existed. I don't know for sure, but my guess is that lifting consistanly, my diet and the fact that I've lost less weight than the average sleever, all contributed to my lack of loose skin. Regardless of skin goals from lifting, a good sensible approach to resistance training has many other healthy benefits for us.

Edited by aroundhky

Planet Fitness is more of a health club than a gym... trainers are free, and the staff will usually offer advice when asked. Unless you want to be a body builder, I'd stick with PF and take advantage of their programs, at least for the first year.

Membership is cheap, and (at least where I go) the place is immaculate and well maintained, and kept spotlessly clean. I see a lot of heavy folks at my gym, and wide variety of age groups and an even mix of gender. I was afraid to try a gym, by PF has been a perfect so far.

I'd suggest talking to the trainers at your facility to see what they have to offer.

I use the treadmill and a few machines for a 70 session each morning, and I can easily burn 700 calories.