Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PB Hell....

I think I am PBing more that most of the people that I've read of, but I'm really sure I don't have too much of a fill.

A little history:

Banded on 7/2/04 by Dr. Rumbaut

Fill on 8/17/04 by Dr. Kuri

I'm on Depo Provera, so I don't have a monthly cycle, or an irregular cycle or anything, just no cycle (lucky me).

Anyway, I know that everyone goes through days when they are tighter than other days, but this range of restriction for me is really crazy. Mostly during the morning I can't successfully eat anything, so I quit trying that. I drink milk or protien drinks or somethin. Today for lunch I tried to have 2 slices of roast beef and a slice of swiss cheese. About 25 minutes or so after I quit eating, it all came up. I knew it was going too, but I was fighting it for about 10 minutes or so. After my fill, I learned I need to chew things way better than I had been even after I got my band, so I've been very very good about that lately, but it still came up. But on the other hand, one day last week for lunch I had a little more than a bowl of beef stroganoff, with beef chunks and noodles and mushrooms. I think my problem today was the cheese, but I've eaten a half a roast beef and swiss sandwich since my fill with no problem (bread and all, though I'm trying to avoid it now).

There's no stomach acid involved, but I'm still worried about damaging my esophagus. It's about 4 hours after lunch and I'm eating some roast beef, (it's thinnly sliced) and I"m not having a problem. No soft stops or anything. I don't know what the deal is!

Sorry if I'm a little ranty... it's been a long day :)

Thanks

I have no problem with stroganoff either I think it is easier cuz of the sauce, but when I eat beef or chicken by itself I have problems I have learned to eat ech bithe with a bite of veggies it seems to helpp go down better. Or I use some kind of sauce to help lubricate it down.

Hi Sarah,

I have been trying to get specifics on how often other people PB too. Sometimes I don't for weeks at a time and then BLAM, I'll have 2 or 3 experiences of it within a couple of days. I tend to believe that when it does happen it is because I haven't chewed well enough but other times I thought I chewed pretty darned good and it will happen. When it does happen it ussually isn't violent or anything, more just an uncomfortable feeling and then a spit up. I haven't even had a fill yet so I just need to be more aware of my eating. I really try to avoid these episodes and I know how frustrating it is having them. How often are yours? Best wishes to you, Teresa

I appreciate your responses.

I've had one a day in the last few days, but I really don't think I had one for a week before that. I know it's at least once a week lately. It's rather frustrating because I think I want to go get another fill (because of the times when I can eat alot), but not if it's just going to make this worse.

More examples of stuff I can eat well is chips n' salsa, or the cheese dip stuff. I can eat beef Jerky well (surprisingly), but I chew it into nothing. I had some roast beef as I was typing my first post, and that was fine, but I didn't eat a whole bunch.

Couple of things sprang to mind when I read the original post here. First of all, lunch meat and cheese (any other than sliced american) is very hard to eat- especially at lunch. I have PBed several times because it just doesn't make sense that I can't eat it!

The other thing- once you PB, you really MUST take some time off. Otherwise it's a vicious cycle. PBing is actually a serious thing. It causes your stomach to swell. It gets irritated and needs a break. I'm not say you don't take a break, I just want to make sure it's clear.

While you're getting used to your strange levels of restrictions, you are going to PB, it's a fact of having the band. Some people are lucky and don't, but the majority do. So if you eat roast beef one day at lunch and you PB, don't eat it again for lunch! One of the hardest things to do with the band is to make new habits and to find new things to eat.

Since I'm so much looser at night, I stick to the same kind of things during the day that I know are good for me, don't make me PB, and are yummy. I'm sure other people have some ideas, too. If you're hungry for roast beef- have some at supper.

I promise that you will find patterns in your restriction levels and it will get easier.

Hang in there!

Megan

How long of a break? Ussually when I have a PB episode I am not even interested in eating further until the next meal time and then I make sure it is something that works easily. I think sometimes after a few weeks of none occurring I get a little over confident and don't pay enough attention but it is weird I can go so long without any problem and then suddenly things become a problem. I also get the depo shot and don't experience any part of the normal cycle. Anyway I'll be interested in the experiences of others, Teresa

When I PB I usually try to either not eat my next meal or drink Soup or just liquids of some sort. Maybe a Protein drink. I do not do solids till the next day.

I have noticed with me that the mornings I am way more restricted so I either have a Protein Drink or some really moist scrambled eggs.

lunch and supper I can do pretty much whatever I want. I just have to remember to chew chew chew.

NO breads, Pasta, or rice for the most part. There are rare occasions that I can do some breads. I find that toast is easier than soft breads. Pasta only if it is almost mush. No rice at all so far.

cheese is easy as long as it is the softer kinds. Like brie.

I also have noticed that when I fly the restriction is high for the first couple of days and then it goes back to normal. NOt sure what causes that phenom.

Hope these tidbits help.

I find that if I eat too quickly, no matter how well I chew, it will cause me to P.B. I have really been trying to eat very slowly and I find it has improved quite a bit. If I wait long enough between bites, I can eat almost anything, except bread. I'm getting the hang of this band!

Originally posted by Penni60

I also have noticed that when I fly the restriction is high for the first couple of days and then it goes back to normal. NOt sure what causes that phenom.

Boy, learned this little bit just in time for tomorrow's flight!

Also, chest congestion and/or sinus congestion can make you pb more. I had to have .2cc removed this week because I was pbing on Water. That fill had seemed perfect for a week, then wham! I'm really wondering if the antibiotics could be the culprit.:)

Wow, that's a lot of helpful information.

I think the swiss cheese was the problem :) But now I know. Also, I may have been eating too fast. Like said above, even though I chewed it into nothingness, I may have not waited enough in between bites. I will spend the next week SLOWING DOWN big time. I imagine that will help some.

Good to know about the airplanes though. I flew a few weeks back and had tight restriction and didn't even put the 2 together.

I really appreciate all of your responses. Now I have a better idea of what I'm probably doing wrong, while at the same time, knowing that I'm not crazy. lol

:D

When did any of you pb the first time? I am just starting soft foods carefully, and haven't had one yet, in fact I'm not sure if I even have restriction, because so far everything I've tried is going down well. Fear is keeping me careful, but so far no real problems. I do make sure to eat slowly and chew everything to nothing, but I can eat more than the 2 oz I was told my pouch is.

I think my serving size is more like 1/2 cup before I feel an ache coming on.

Shouldn't I be more restricted than that?

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The thing to remember about the phase you are in is that it's all about healing. Your band should be empty, or very near empty, so any restriction that you have is because your stomach is swollen. When you are eating soft foods, they go right through the stoma, so your pouch isn't 'holding' anything.

I had to learn this too, as I'm sure we all did. I wasn't fortunate enough to have found this board before surgery or even before my first fill so I wasn't 'warned' about the period before your first fill where you can eat almost like normal once you get to solid foods (scary!).

Everyone's experience is different, but I did PB before my first fill. I would happen when I took too big of a bite, or I didn't chew well enough. I very much think my problem now is that I am eating too fast, not waiting long enough between bites.

Anywho, be sure to post again if you are worried. One thing this board is great for is 'reality checks'. ;)

So is Jello considered a liquid for the first 2 weeks? Wow I wish someone had told me that while i was eating Soup and Water and juice and milk...crikey Jello would have been like prime rib LOL

;):):D

fortuneatly I havent pb'd yet and i'm so nervous...but honestly i dont feel any restriction except in the morning and then it's just an all around yucky, i hate the morning feeling lol

Katie