Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much money do you save now on your food bill??

This is a question for the banded...how much do you save on average a month off your food bill now that you are eating normally and not eating everything in the house? I am thinking I am going to save quite a bit of money!! Instead of one of something I used to buy two, just so I could have extra. Deanna

At this rate, I will be able to afford a cruise in six months.

I DONT SAVE THAT MUCH AS NOW IM ON A TOTALLY DIFFERENT MENU FROM THE REST OF MY FAMILY, AND MOST THE food I BUY 4 ME GOES IN THE BIN BECAUSE I CANT EAT WHAT I BUY 4 ME ALONE TO MYSLELF ! BUT THERE IS A FEW MEALS WE CAN EAT AS A FAMILY, BUT NOT MANY, ITS 50/50 REALLY ON FOOD SAVINGS, DEPENDS IF UR SINGLE OR HAVE A FAMILY

I just started out, but so far I'm not saving $$. LOL. I am having to buy so many supplements, Protein junk (since can't find one I like.. and they are not cheap), all the Soups and things I get for now, I take the broth out and the rest of it goes in the trash. Fiance is still eating fast food and delivery, so.. it's just additional $$ for now! I'm hoping when I'm on normal foods we'll start saving money.

I was shocked by how much I ate. I mean I understood conceptually that I had to be packing away alot of food to maintain the weight that I had but so much of my eating was unconcsious.

WOW - now we have so many leftovers I had to institute a "leftover smorgasbord night" into our weekly rotation.

I haven't calculated the actual cost savings yet but it has made a difference.

LOL...I like the smorgasboard idea...call the neighbors in...come and gat it!!!! I can see not saving money with buying the supplements but I really meant just on food that you are not eating that you used to be eating. I can see it being quite a substantial savings not buying two of everything just so I can eat one box, tray, carton or whatever by myself.

Nope, haven't saved a dime on groceries here. Mainly because pre-band my diet was so attrocious...I'd buy the cheapest Pasta and other crappy junk stuff and that "food" is so inexpensive. Box of Little Debbie's snack cakes $1.30...fresh fruit and veggies...well, A LOT more than $1.30!!! But, I'm healthier and happier so I'm sticking with my new lifestlye. I started out with dreams of saving money on food too...but healthy food costs more, at least in my area.

I havent noticed a difference. I think it is about even. I buy better cuts of steak, more chicken breasts, more fresh vegetables and fruit. Quality over quantity, but costs about the same on my grocery bill.

In terms of the weekly supermarket shop, nothing. We never ate a lot of fast food as a family and I always bought good quality food, and still do. That's a lot more expensive than eating packaged or junk foods. I always bought organic fruit and veg as well which means our grocery bill is about $300 per week (Australian dollars).

Where I do save is on the day to day expenditure. I rarely buy lunch out anymore, whereas I always used to and I was forever buying coffee and a muffin at the shops. I rarely do that now. That would probably save me $30 a week but I buy so many more clothes now that we havent noticed the saving, lol.

Although I'm not banded yet. I'm trying to eat healthy before I'm banded and I'm actually spending more money. Like Jachut said, buying fresh foods is much more expensive than prepackaged foods.

I think my food costs are going down. My husband has been living off of drive through and take out lately though so that might offset it. But lately especially I'm just not eating much. So there isn't that much to buy. And some stuff does last longer too because I am eating less.

Jachut said it well! I don't really save money at the grocery store, but I do throw away more leftovers........I eat organic and preservative free, it is not cheap. Also I have to buy a lot of my own food, but still provide food for meals for my husband. Sometimes there is crossover. If we do eat out, which is not often anymore, and an area where we have saved a lot of money, we sometimes just order one dish and a side. our bill is so little...

I always bought alot of fresh fruits and vegetables before being banded. I quess that is why I am noticing the difference. I eat 1/4 pint of rasberries now instead of two pints, etc.