Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

July 7th is my surgery date!

Can't believe I finally have a surgery date. I am so excited to start my new healthier life! Now I just have to whip this 2 week pre-op diet. My doctor requires lean Protein and low/no carbs for 2 weeks prior to surgery. Any one else have a similar pre-op diet?

Congrats! 7/7 is a great date! (it's mine too). Good luck with your pre-op diet. Sounds better than what I am on...28 days of Protein Shakes.< /p>

I do! I drink a Protein supplement for Breakfast and I'm allowed 3oz lean Protein + 1 cup of veggies for lunch and dinner. It's taken some getting used too- I get full right after eating but am usually starving about an hour later! I think it's because carbs give us that truly 'full' feeling. I feel better though and have way more energy! A couple of people have posted on here that the 2 week pre-surgery diet was worse than the after surgery diet. I sure hope so!! Good luck!

Dexter-No idea how you can drink Protein Drinks for 28 days pre-op. Yikes! My surgeon requires a 10% weight loss of the "total" amount you are overweight. I had to lose 14 pounds BUT I had 6 months to do it on my 6 month plan my insurance required. I lost that a few months ago so for the pre-op, on the day before the surgery I am to have a light Breakfast and liquids the rest of the day. My doctor does not require any liquid diet, just the day before. I feel lucky for that although someone said it may be a good idea to do my own liquid diet for one week before. I may do that to get in the right mindset. Good luck!

My surgery is the 7th also, 2 weeks protien drinks, SF Jello and SF Popsicles . Clear broths. Hopefully it will fly by... Need to stay busy and get my walking in.

My surgery date is 7/9 & I have the same pre-op diet, beginning 6/25. I'm more nervous about the diet than surgery! I know the end result will be worth it!!

Is anone else second guessing everything? seems like my emotions about this surgery are all over the place. Day 5 of pre op diet, and so far so good.... But I'm reading all the horror stories, Vitamin deficiencies, and every other long term issues.. My Dr. Talked to me Tuesday for 11/2 hrs answering all my questions, left feeling great.. Then started researching more, again with the complications ... Saw my dietician today and she also has calmed my crazy thoughts.. feel like I am over thinking this as it gets closer.. Anyone else?

My date is July 8th and my emotions have been up and down. That coupled with a negative reaction from one of my best friends when I told her has not made it much easier. As with any surgery there are risks but I have heard and read more positive stories then negative so keep that in mind. Also, do you have anyone close by that has had the surgery and a good outcome. I am lucky to have 2 co-workers who have recently had the sleeve and they are doing FABULOUSLY. They have been supportive and have helped alleviate some of my worries. They have both said the 2 week liquid diet before surgery was the hardest (if you have to do that type of pre-op diet. The diets seem to really vary). I am doing the pre-op now and it is TOUGH. So I am thinking it can only get better. Keep your chin up and be careful what you read, put faith in you doctor, too. Good luck!

Hey it's on my 32nd Birthday all of your surgeries!! Good luck! I will be thinking of you on that day!

Lisa

Thanks Stacy Jo, unfortunately I do not know of anyone who has had the surgery that I could talk to.. I agree more positives than negatives, maybe because I don't have any serious health issues at this time, and not a huge amount to lose, So I just keep thinking, should I once again do this on my own.. And not put myself at risk for the complications... But, I do already have high cholesterol , border line high blood sugar .. My mother is morbidly obese and has almost every weight related health issues.. Problem is as many times as I have lost (4 times lg amount). Have always put it back on within 2 years.. .So am hoping this will be the tool to finally get control and keep it off,..

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches