Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Below Goal, No Appetite...Is something wrong?

Here I am just 2 days away from my 1 year Bandiversary and I'm confused for the first time during this journey. Why have I lost my appetite? I hate the sight, smell, taste and texture of food...having it in my mouth is TORTURE. I went through this the first couple of weeks after being banded, but should I feel this way now? I'm 8 lbs. below goal and losing more by the day. I've gone back to drinking my calories, but there's only so much of that I can take, too. Has anyone else had this issue? What did you do? I'm guessing I need another unfill (I've already taken out .5cc's) but could there be something else wrong? I'm so serious when I say food make me nauseous!

Help!

There are only a few like you who have met their goal who monitor this board so I wouldn't expect a lot of response? I wish I could respond but I'm still 25 away.

Thinking of you and sending best wishes....got to get this figured out so you are healthy and happy with your weight.....could there be something else muddying the waters? New response to stress, GERD, etc?

First, who's goal? Yours or your body's???

I'm coming up on 4 years and still do not have an appetite, no hunger, no cravings...I could care less about food. Have no interest.

Don't send me to the grocery store, I will wander around and not find anything to buy....

As far as goals, I was puzzled about this also....my Dr. explained to me....I lived a bad lifestyle with bad eating habits that slowly and eventually made me morbidly obese....

NOW

I live a new, healthy Protein rich lifestyle....which will (and did) eventually return me to a "Normal" state...a place I am supposed to be....but it is important to note, since we eat so little, make the best of it....high Protein, low fat, etc, etc....

I have become a real food nut...drives my family crazy when we go out to eat...

BTW, with the Band surgery...when you reach YOUR goal, what are you supposed to do??? This is not a diet you can turn on and turn off...your eating habits cannot change if you are truly in the Green....

Only thing you can do is get some Fluid taken out...I tried that and could not wait to get it put back in....

I like the new me and my new life....don't want to change a thing.

Edited by B-52

I'm also below goal, but like B52 says, who's goal? How do you look? Are you looking too thin? If yes, speak to your doctor and see what he/she says. If your body can still shed some unwanted pounds, I wouldn't stress...except for the fact that you are starting to drink calories. That could be the start of a slippery slope.

I looked at your stats...your BMI is not showing you as underweight but I know BMI is just one of many factors. If you go to the doctor, let us know what he/she recommends.

Hmmmm not sure what that means. I would talk to my doc or nut and get their professional opinion. Good luck.

Thanks B-52! It's my personal goal, not my bodies. The thing is I don't want to be any smaller. I don't think I look good like this and it's kind of bothering me. If I knew where I would bottom out, I wouldn't worry so much but I truly wish I had about 5 pounds back.

First, who's goal? Yours or your body's???

I'm coming up on 4 years and still do not have an appetite, no hunger, no cravings...I could care less about food. Have no interest.

Don't send me to the grocery store, I will wander around and not find anything to buy....

As far as goals, I was puzzled about this also....my Dr. explained to me....I lived a bad lifestyle with bad eating habits that slowly and eventually made me morbidly obese....

NOW

I live a new, healthy Protein rich lifestyle....which will (and did) eventually return me to a "Normal" state...a place I am supposed to be....but it is important to note, since we eat so little, make the best of it....high Protein, low fat, etc, etc....

I have become a real food nut...drives my family crazy when we go out to eat...

BTW, with the Band surgery...when you reach YOUR goal, what are you supposed to do??? This is not a diet you can turn on and turn off...your eating habits cannot change if you are truly in the Green....

Only thing you can do is get some Fluid taken out...I tried that and could not wait to get it put back in....

I like the new me and my new life....don't want to change a thing.

Hi Gowalking:

My BMI is okay, I just look too thin and my mother says I'm starting to look sickly. I know it's the excess skin, for the first time in my life I look my age and I'm terrified. This is NOT what I wanted. I don't feel pretty anymore and I just don't know what to do. When I say I'm drinking my calories, I mean V8 and Protein shakes. I can't stand sweets, so I don't eat ice cream or drink milk shakes. I have to nearly choke Protein shakes down these days.

I'm also below goal, but like B52 says, who's goal? How do you look? Are you looking too thin? If yes, speak to your doctor and see what he/she says. If your body can still shed some unwanted pounds, I wouldn't stress...except for the fact that you are starting to drink calories. That could be the start of a slippery slope.

I looked at your stats...your BMI is not showing you as underweight but I know BMI is just one of many factors. If you go to the doctor, let us know what he/she recommends.

Hi Gowalking:

My BMI is okay, I just look too thin and my mother says I'm starting to look sickly. I know it's the excess skin, for the first time in my life I look my age and I'm terrified. This is NOT what I wanted. I don't feel pretty anymore and I just don't know what to do. When I say I'm drinking my calories, I mean V8 and Protein shakes. I can't stand sweets, so I don't eat ice cream or drink milk shakes. I have to nearly choke Protein Shakes down these days.

Oh sweetheart, I understand. I have the same issue and also panicked when I looked in the mirror one day and saw my grandmother's face. Just remember that you may not be looking too thin...it just may be that others who know what you looked like before are having the same trouble you are..and they are seeing someone who looks drastically different. Again...I think the doctor is the best one to determine both whether or not you are too thin, and if yes, how to gain some without putting all your hard work in jeopardy. Please keep us posted on how it goes. Oh, and one more thing...I've been very honest about this...I had such a hard time with the way I look now that I started going to a therapist. I'm not telling you to do the same thing...I'm just saying that it's hard at times to take in all the changes we've been through.

Thanks B-52! It's my personal goal, not my bodies. The thing is I don't want to be any smaller. I don't think I look good like this and it's kind of bothering me. If I knew where I would bottom out, I wouldn't worry so much but I truly wish I had about 5 pounds back.

well, maybe I'm an anomaly but I sure have not bottomed out yet. I was banded 12/10/12 and I've hit a plateau. I have a personal go but would be extremely ecstatic to be below my personal goal.

I still have an appetite and would love to not have an appetite. I just want to eat to live not live to eat and I'm pretty sure I'm doing OK and will strive to stay on this journey forever.

If you have hit your personal and your body's goal and food is literally making you sick to try to eat, I would suggest that you see your doctor. Get a check up, a physical, have labs, maybe some scans, see what is going on. Make sure there is no physical, health related reason for your food aversion.

As far as goals, I have set a few and went on right by them....I remember the ONLY and BIGGEST wish I could ever ask for was to get below 200 lbs...that in itself was but a dream....if not just a fantasy....

Turns out that was nothing in the big picture....

I am fortunate to be able to have a "Full Body Analysis" done at my gym, for the cost of $15....among everything it tells me, I am particularly interested that out of my total weight, what % of it is actually fat...as opposed to bone mass, muscle mass, and Water weight....

BMI's are not accurate by no means....an individual can be 20-30 lbs over weight, but have a very low body fat %...just look at athletes like football players....

According to BMI, I am still 10 lbs over weight,,,but I have a very low body fat %...if I was to loose any more weight, it would not be fat...THEN that would be unhealthy, if not dangerous....

But that is why I am sure to get all my daily Protein....and all the Water I can drink

So I continued to loose until I bottomed out...but the entire time I was able to see it was my body fat that was going down...if anything, my muscle mass increased due to all the exercising I was doing along with the protein....

My weight loss stopped when by body fat bottomed out.

And I have more energy and better health now than I ever have....

Edited by B-52