Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

LB or GS? Need help

Hello!

I had LB and was very successful with it for years. Although, I had to get it opened in the spring and fall for a couple months each due to allergies/serious post nasal drip causing issues. I was very sick last year (unrelated) and ended up with a hernia etc. Long story short, LB was removed (not sure it should have been).

Due to all my issues, I am not sure I want the LB again bc I am frankly sick of being used and a pin cushion (again was not related to LB but was bad 8 months) and just hyper sensitive. Thus, I looked into as cleared to have GS.

I am so confused and frustrated. One side says LB is better bc can always be adjusted and that GS will lead to reflux and a whole slew of issues. Also argues that GS use in US has not been that long and it shows a high percentage that pouch will be stretched and then not effective.

The other side says LB not as effective and shows high percentage of eventual slippage/failure (plus constant fills/reduction issues as noted above). Further says that reflux can be addressed, likely not long term and not lead to other issues (Barrett's disease).

I do not know what to do. Any thoughts? Anyone out there who went from LB to LB or LB to GS?

Thanks. Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Hi Susan, I had to comment because your journey sounds like mine. I has the band in Jan 2007, I loved it and did great. Then one time I got an overfill and had to take some Fluid out. That's when all my issues began. I had 23 fills trying to find my sweet spot and could not find it. Finally last year in November we removed the band and converted to sleeve.

I have Barrett's Esophagus and have been dealing with acid reflux for years, my hernia was removed but I still have the after effects. I do have acid reflux with the sleeve, but I had it worse with the band and had to sleep sitting up. Medication does help and I will be on it for the rest of my life I am sure.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Best wishes to you

Tonya

Have you been successful w losing weight?

I have read that people that revise surgeries tend to lose slower, and I am compared to many, a slow loser. However, with that being said, I am happy with my results and I continue to lose. I figure Im not in a race but on a journey.

My stats are:

Began the lapband at 250

dropped down to 145

Complications arose, and got back up to 214 which is what I was on my date of surgery

Gastric sleeve sugery 11/20/13 at 214.5

Today my weight is 165, Im almost 7 months out, so about 50 lbs in 7 months

From what I read, most people start to slow down at about 6 months, for me its been the opposite. Ive been at a stall for a few months and barely losing, this month Im going to hit around 10 lbs I think. So I've actually started losing more after 6 months.

The thing I like about the sleeve is no more "stuck" feeling, I can pretty much eat whatever I like but not much of it. I try and make healthy choices though and stay away from the carbs and sugar.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

May I ask the source of your "facts"?

for example, there is actually very little pouch stretching and that is pretty well documented. You can lose some of that feeling of restriction, but that is largely controlled by behavior.

You mention that the sleeve is plagued by reflux (true, I don't have it but clearly many do) and a host of other issues. What other issues? What percentage of people?

You as your questions to a very biased group. I HATED the lapband, it made my life hell and I was still obese. I love my sleeve and have had amazing success (lost over 160# and in maintenance - bought a bikini the other day!) anyway, I feel that from us you are going to get a one sided view too, but I think you should really take a look at ACTUAL stats of how many people have various issues longer term.

BTW, when I was banded, I had to sign a form that I knew that the band was temporary and would likely need to be removed and I would likely have weight regain. Funny that they knew that back in 2001 but don't seem to mention it anymore. Of course, i thought "that will never happen to me" - HA

i thought the sleeve didnt cause reflux , only in people who already had it to begin with. which is true?

Look at studies. At about 3-6 years out around 30%, maybe more, of people with sleeves have reflux problems. for people who had reflux to start with, probably should consider RNY. I personally had reflux when my band was too tight, but no serious problem since being sleeved. Eat small helps.

<p>i thought the sleeve didnt cause reflux , only in people who already had it to begin with. which is true?</p>

I can't say the sleeve caused my reflux cause I has it before. I have Barrett's esophagus, my reflux is controlled with meds. Once the reflux is no longer controlled or get out of hand, RnY might be a route I have to take, but so far I can control it as long as I takes meds, avoid coffee, no spicy food etc.

I had LP in August of 2012 (surgery weight 245, pants size 22+), and lost about 90 pounds (155, pants size 12/14). Ran into issues Apr - Dec 2013, then had to have a complete unfill in Dec (during a mini vacation in a NYC ER room). Had a revision to the sleeve Jan 2014. I now fluctuate around 136-138 pds (pants size 8). I'm sure I could lose more if I wanted to, but my calories are higher so I maintain, and am content.

Hind sight > I would have totally started with the sleeve instead of having the LP in the first place. The restriction is different. I don't (thankfully) have any reflux at this point but I'm only 5 months post op. If I eat too much, my stomach gets gassy & sometimes my nose starts to run. I hear some people get the runny nose. Weird....

It's a personal decision & I can only say is that this is a tool. We all have to make the decision to eat healthier or we WILL gain it all back. I could eat chocolate all day (if I liked it) and not bother with Protein, so it's up to you to make the right food choices. You 'are' in control!

Wishing you the best of luck.

I looked at both originally. A friend of mine that has had LB over five years talked me out of the band. She's had to have an emergency surgery when it slipped, and too many fills/unfills to count. She vomits at least 2-3 times /week, which she admits is her fault because she eats too fast or doesn't chew well. Even after 5 years she's never hit her goal weight and gains a bunch back every time she gets an unfill. A lot of her failure is her fault because of what she chooses to eat, but the whole band maintenance thing sure sounded like a pain in the butt. I was sleeved in dec 2013 and am already below goal. After 3 months of recovery I was totally back to normal and feel fabulous. No reflux, no food aversions. The only thing I've given up for the sleeve is carbonated beverages and 80+ pounds. She's now looking at converting to a sleeve.

Granted I am only 4 weeks into it, but have had zero problems with GR. My doc told me only a few of his patients get GS after surgery. It seems much of the information passed around is subjective and changes from doc to doc.

If my dr was doing gastric sleeve at the time I had my initial wls I would have went that route. I had lap band 3/2006 and revision in 1 surgery 4/2014. I did not have reflux prior to revision but I do now. Gastric Sleeve is still way better choice in my opinion. I have been happy with my procedure. Weight loss has been slower. I just keep telling myself I will get to my goal. It may take time but I will do it.