Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

:clap2: I was banded on 12-04-06 in Denver, Co. Rose Medical. I have lost 43 pds. 64 to go. Seems like a lot left, but I'm already a success! I failed so many times with diets, but Lapband works for me. 247/204/140.

:help: We are collecting information from experienced Lapband recipients, for those who are considering Lapband surgery or are in the process of Lapband. The experiences you share will be in booklet form, given to attendees at bariatric seminars, medical offices and clinics. Can you help someone who is searching/struggling? All we need is your opinion and experience.

First question: Since your surgery, what have you discovered about your relationship with food?

Second question: Did you experience any complications with your procedure, during or after? If so, briefly explain.

Third question: What are your feelings towards morbidly obese people now, and if you could sit down and talk with them, what one thing would you share with them?

Your responses would have first name, first initial of last name.

Ex; Mary P.

Thank you and big hugs to you for your lifechanging courage!

Michelle

First question: Since your surgery, what have you discovered about your relationship with food?

At first it seemed impossible, but over time, food has taken on much less importance in my life. I find it much easier now to make healthy choices, because hunger is no longer part of the equation. The saying Eat to Live istead of Living to Eat, now fits me, before banding it was the opposite!

Second question: Did you experience any complications with your procedure, during or after? If so, briefly explain.

No complications during surgery, none during recovery. Only issue now is with some reflux. But that is a problem that plagued me several years ago as well.

Third question: What are your feelings towards morbidly obese people now, and if you could sit down and talk with them, what one thing would you share with them?

I feel a kinship with them, I wish it would not be offensive to share with them, without being ask! That is my big issue with hiding the surgery. It leads other MO people to believe that we are capable of doing something they are not. I tell everyone, hoping my experience will give someone else hope. I would try to clear up some misconceptions of what banding is, it is just now getting commercial coverage, and up until now it has only been associated with bypass. I would say----what have you got to lose except extra pounds!

Kat M.

I have only been banded for a month now and my whole outlook on food has changed. I am looking at food as fuel for my body. I don't need to eat to comfort me. I would not have been able to change my eating habits if I didn't have this band. I love it.I had no complications from my surgery. I was banded on Thurs and back to work on Monday. I never needed any pain medication. I made sure I walked alot to keep me from getting gas pains. I am very strict at following my Drs orders. I have had no PB. I have never had anything come back up. I am commited to making this work.

As far as looking at other obese people now. I would like to tell them how easy this procedure was. I was scared for no reason. I have never been able to lose weight like this and be in control of my eating. I would do this again in a minute. This may not be for everyone, but it has sure given me a new start at a healthy life.

I've found in the past (almost) four weeks since surgery that my relationship with food is no longer obsessive. I no longer feel guilt over eating certain things - because I'm eating between 1/3 and 1/2 of what I ate before surgery. I take the time to savor food and enjoy it - whereas I used to approach eating as "okay - i have this on my plate - what am I going to eat as soon as I finish this!"

I am happy to say that my surgery went very smoothly and I've had no complications since. I'm grateful to have found this Forum as I got an incredible amount of useful information (and different points of view) about every stage of the LapBand process - which helped me understand what to expect. The only discomfort for me was the intense chest pains (gas) that lasted for 6 days after surgery - but I was not surprised by this after reading about it from so many others.

Third question: What are your feelings towards morbidly obese people now, and if you could sit down and talk with them, what one thing would you share with them? I would explain my personal story and my happiness with the LapBand experience. It was of great comfort to me that there was an option other than the kind of dieting and yo-yo lifestyle that I had experienced for the past 15 years. I am thrilled with my LapBand decision so far and thrilled with the incredible amount of support and information that is available to me on sites such as this and through my surgeon's office and support groups.

The surgery has opened my eyes as to why I am fat and it has thrown all my 'bad' food behaviors in my face for scrutiny and change. I've learned what an emotional eater I am and how I turn to food for everything in my life. It has shown me how addicted I am to food and how I use food for so many reasons - hunger satisfaction being almost the smallest reason. I was hoping the surgery would help me become a normal eater - one which eats when hungry, stops when full and eats a variety of foods - even occassionally snacks/treats. I was hoping I would not be obsessed with food, dieting, my body 24/7. I do not have that and am not sure I ever will. I still struggle daily as my weight loss has been slow and perplexing. I do notice many many changes but they are still not all automatic although I guess if I am lucky enough to keep this band - that will change. For example at a dinner the other night I loaded my plate with pre banding portions then had to sneak my plate over to my husband to not make a big deal out of not eating that much. I still reach for food in the morning when I know it won't go down. I sometimes think I am a basket case - the most hard headed woman around.

Nothing other than one unfill due to eating a piece of sushi for Breakfast and getting so stuck I couldn't swallow my own spit. I'm forever thankful the doc either stiched this band in so good and/or I at least followed the post op diet to the letter that this band is still in me! I do pb a lot and have since banding. Again my hard headed ness keeps me trying foods and pushing the limits.

I feel incredible sadness when I see morbidly obese people as I know some of the misery, loathing and self hatred that they must feel. I feel the hopelessness and shame of being overweight and the wrath and hatred we face from others in society.

:clap2: I was banded on 12-04-06 in Denver, Co. Rose Medical. I have lost 43 pds. 64 to go. Seems like a lot left, but I'm already a success! I failed so many times with diets, but Lapband works for me. 247/204/140.

:help: We are collecting information from experienced Lapband recipients, for those who are considering Lapband surgery or are in the process of Lapband. The experiences you share will be in booklet form, given to attendees at bariatric seminars, medical offices and clinics. Can you help someone who is searching/struggling? All we need is your opinion and experience.

Your responses would have first name, first initial of last name.

Ex; Mary P.

Thank you and big hugs to you for your lifechanging courage!

Michelle

Hi Michelle. I'd have to say right now my relationship with food as more towards what will feed my body what it needs vs. that old timey recipe for buttery poundcake that Auntie D use to bake.

Second: Nothing with the band I did sustain some slight trauma from intubation that left some minor bleeding which I am coughing out. No serious pain, no fever, I actually feel quite fine.

Third: My heart aches for morbidly obese individuals. I don't think people who are overweight truly understand all of the personal complications that occur when you are twice if not three times the size of a normal human being. Not that I "feel sorry" in a pity sense it's more of a physical sense of what they go through on a daily basis that can be painful and emotionally traumatic. Part of my friendship with LapBandTalk has been the others that DO understand.

There is nothing better for someone looking into lapband surgery then to hear from those who have done it. Hope your booklet has lots of inspiration for them!

First question: Before having surgery, food was my best friend. I was always looking for something to eat. I was an emotional eater. No matter what mood, I ate. Suffering from depression for years helped get me in the shape I was. Since having surgery, my views of food have totally changed. I am no longer consumed with thoughts of food! Foods that where my favorites before aren't even part of my eating plan and I really don't miss them!

Second question: My surgery went smooth; no problems at all! My recovery was great as well. I didn't need any pain medication. The only complication, if you can call it that, that I have experienced is when my band was too full. I wasn't able to get anything down. That, however, is an easy fix. Went to the doc and he removed some of the Fluid and now I'm doing great!

Third question: I would tell them there is hope. Morbidly obese people are often times the most mistreated people around. Being overweight is one of the few things that society is ok with discriminating against. I know this because I have been morbidly obese my entire adult life. My heart goes out to these people. I know what it's like. I understand the hurt and the struggles and it is a lonely place to be. I find myself wanting to tell every overweight person about Lapband surgery. It has saved my life! Are there risks, of course, but not like those that you will encounter if you stay obese. Is it worth it? You bet ya! I have not regretted my decision once!

Denise M.

I realise that my relationship with food prior to my surgery was purely emotional. I used it as a way of making myself feel better about anything. Now I use food purely to feed my body. It isn't such a big deal any more.

In order to place the band correctly I had to have a hiatus hernia repaired. This meant that my recovery time was a month instead of a few days.

I feel desperately sorry for morbidly obese people and regularly tell complete strangers about how the surgery has changed my life.

Louise R.