Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, it is finally the week to really begin my lap band process. A little nervous and also anxious. I start my pre-surgery diet on the 12th and have been reading everything I can find. Not sure this is a good thing!! There are a lot of minimal concerns on what is to come and I am just taking it at face value that I will not have all the side effects that are mentioned. hair loss, skin conditions, esophagus spasm, headaches, bad breath and many others. I pray this goes smoothly. My doctor has been good with explaining the process and I feel I can trust him so I hope I am right. I wonder what this week will bring, will I be hungry since I will only be having the shakes this week? How bad will the symptoms be?? Yes, a little scared but excited too. I see the results of so many and it is awesome, just to feel and move better, to have more energy and yes of course, look much better.

So Tuesday is my visit, Thursday I take the first step in changing my current eating lifestyle and June 27th I change my life- whew... :unsure:

apryl1957 I am wishing you the best and am trying to reassure you that you will be fine...I am about 5 months out and haven't had any trouble with Hair loss, skin conditions, spasms, headaches, bad breath or any other problems. You will be just fine sweetie...just know we are here to help you through the rough times. I'm gonna do a 5 day pouch test this week too, to prepare for my next fill on the 17th. I will be keeping you in my thoughts as well on the 27th!!! btw 1957 ur birth yr? mine is June 1957 if that is what it means...LOLRH! Hang in there girl you are going to do just fine!

Edited by Mikee57

Well, it is finally the week to really begin my lap band process. A little nervous and also anxious. I start my pre-surgery diet on the 12th and have been reading everything I can find. Not sure this is a good thing!! There are a lot of minimal concerns on what is to come and I am just taking it at face value that I will not have all the side effects that are mentioned. hair loss, skin conditions, esophagus spasm, headaches, bad breath and many others. I pray this goes smoothly. My doctor has been good with explaining the process and I feel I can trust him so I hope I am right. I wonder what this week will bring, will I be hungry since I will only be having the shakes this week? How bad will the symptoms be?? Yes, a little scared but excited too. I see the results of so many and it is awesome, just to feel and move better, to have more energy and yes of course, look much better. So Tuesday is my visit, Thursday I take the first step in changing my current eating lifestyle and June 27th I change my life- whew... :unsure:

I had the same fears but then I thought how can I do nothing and perhaps kill myself with my weight in the process. Hair loss I take Biotin 500g and use nioxin Shampoo and trust me my hair was paper thin to begin with . Keep your Protein intake high it helps. Hunger with the shakes I'm not gonna lie first few days are rough but drink plenty of Water in between. What symptoms are you worried about ? Hunger headaches may prevail as well as sugar withdrawal but keep your eye on the prize. I was scared to death but then when I finally told my bestie she equated it with shoe shopping if you don't like it return it granted not as easy as returning a pair of shoes but greatest accessory of my life.I am a compliant Bandster not perfect but I will avoid complications at every cost. I want my band forever . In the past year I have changed so much last year this time I was almost 300lbs squeezing into a 2/3x top 22 pants. I got banded and active now I wear a size medium/large shirt and 12 pants and weigh 195 lost 102 pounds but whose counting lol wth. I work out 5-6 days a week and completed a Spartan race yesterday. None of this would of been possible with my band . You are not alone and we have all been there and all be there for you. When u get hungry read a success story on here

There are a lot of really positive posts on here, but the truth is, a lot of people don't post unless there's a problem. Lots of one time visitors, etc. If this surgery was unsuccessful for most people or if most people had major complications, insurance companies would not be paying for the surgeries. All of the possible negative outcomes get us really worked up. And for the first month out two I was hyper sensitive to every pang and gurgle in my tummy. Six months out, it's smooth sailing. Everything will be fine! Just stick to the plan. Change your life!

Thank you all for your very positive words of encouragement. They have helped me greatly. I am not sure why I am a little uneasy, I think that maybe it is because I have had so many failures that I am afraid to anticipate a lot. One day at a time-right! Today is the first day of my pre-op diet and I have done great, exactly as instructed. I hope tomorrow and the next 13 days will be ok too! When I think about it 13 days is a long time for nothing solid but then it really is just two weeks. Gosh, I make myself dizzy. Ok, so I can do this, and I pray for no complications and that six months down the road I will know this was all worth it.

Thank you all so much, my family has been great but talking with people who know what I am doing, what I am feeling and what I hope for is giving me strength and peace of mind. :blush:

So I am now on day two of my pre-op diet. Day one was not bad, a little hungry at lunch time but I found that eating my broth with a 'spoon' rather than drinking it helped. I drank more yesterday in one day that I normally would in three. Today one shake so far, I actually like the chocolate, and am off to drink another now. Not sure but do we have to drink 3-4 shakes a day or is it just that is the max we should drink. I drank two shakes, 32oz of crystal light, broth for both dinner and supper and went to bed without being hungry. It is noon and I have had one shake (breakfast) so far. I am concerned that I am not eating enough since I am not 'yet' hungry. Anyone know if I must consume 3-4 shakes a day even if not hungry. Unfortunately I anticipate that within the next 13 days I will not be having this concern. :unsure:

@@Apryl1957 Anticipate success and it may just come your way!

The beginning is hard…lots of changes…lots of unknowns….just take one day at a time….ask questions when they come up….make the best choices for you…follow your doctors order to the 'T'….cut yourself some slack…don't be a slave to the scale (in fact put it away)…don't compare yourself to others….and remember…we didn't get to our highest weight over night and it will NOT come off over night. One pound down is one less you carry around….be proud of each and every ones of those pounds and be realistic when setting goals.

Congrats on making a decision that will change your life….it surely changed mine!

Edited by chasingadream

Well, it is finally the week to really begin my lap band process. A little nervous and also anxious. I start my pre-surgery diet on the 12th and have been reading everything I can find. Not sure this is a good thing!! There are a lot of minimal concerns on what is to come and I am just taking it at face value that I will not have all the side effects that are mentioned. hair loss, skin conditions, esophagus spasm, headaches, bad breath and many others. I pray this goes smoothly. My doctor has been good with explaining the process and I feel I can trust him so I hope I am right. I wonder what this week will bring, will I be hungry since I will only be having the shakes this week? How bad will the symptoms be?? Yes, a little scared but excited too. I see the results of so many and it is awesome, just to feel and move better, to have more energy and yes of course, look much better.

So Tuesday is my visit, Thursday I take the first step in changing my current eating lifestyle and June 27th I change my life- whew... :unsure:

Sounds like you're doing your homework which is fantastic. I went through that period while preop of reading too much especially the negative stuff. It is good to be aware of possible complications and 'what ifs' but don't let it fester or deter you.

My only advice (in which you didn't ask for :P ) is to be patient. You will have moments of frustration, even perhaps the feeling of failure but one thing you need to do is keep your eye on the goal and keep moving forward. If you stumble that is OK but just keep going.

Best Wishes!!