Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Odd things about my surgeon.

He doesn't do the Barium Swallow Test. Said it can cause more problems than it catches and when the stomach is so swollen tiny leaks won't be detected anyway.

He doesn't require stopping liquids before eating...only five minutes. He does require a 30 minute wait after. He said in his experience, drinking up to five minutes before can help patients swallow food easier.

He does not send us home with pain killers. If the pain is unmanageable after taking extra strength 'something' (I'll have to look at my paper to see which med) then call him and will will prescribe something.

He does not do drains.

I think everything else seems to align with what I read other's post-op rules are. I believe he is a great surgeon, has had tons of experience, and reports very low complication rates. I'm scheduled for this Monday, two days away, and a bit worried about the pain. I had two 9 lb babies naturally and I keep telling myself that there is no way this can compare to that! I hope hope hope that's true!

My surgeon also has the same drinking regimen as your does. Also didn't have to do the barium swallow.

The pain was minimal after surgery and the hospital staff was right there to give something for it. They don't want you to hurt either.

Hope you have a very easy time of things. Just follow the doc's orders and you will do fine.

Chris

I will pray for you and hope things go ok

it will be interesting to see how my surgeon differs from what the nurses were telling us in my Options classes. My surgery is supposed to be July 15. I've got to get busy losing weight before then. Also gotta find my paperwork and get all my tests done before then.

My surgeon was the same way. In our big informational meeting they told us they would do those things...but at my appointment they told me that my particular doctor did not do them.

My surgeon has a no drinking 5 minute before / 45 minute after eating rule. Makes more sense because the fluids certainly don't stick around in your sleeve longer than 5 min.

As for pain, I never needed pain meds after I left the hospital.

Barium swallow...he's right, tiny leaks would likely be closed from all the swelling. My doctor does a barium fluoroscopy 3 days post anyways. It was explained that it also allows them to assess how well things are passing through into the intestines and any delay would be picked up. A flouroscopy is more or less a "real time" moving X-ray and you can watch the liquid travel down your esophagus, through your sleeve and into your intestines. It was very cool to watch...and that's how I know liquids run through your sleeve in well under 5 minutes.

Drain...I had one for 3 days. It really wasn't an issue. Allows them to monitor the color and consistency of the Fluid in your abdomen. Again, a leak may not be super evident because of the swelling, but any abnormal internal bleeding would be detected immediately.

I don't think it's a big deal that your surgeon does things different from some others. JUst like so many pre and postop diets are different. Like you said, if his complication rate is low then he must be OK.