Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Conversion from Gastric Sleeve to Bypass

Hi All,

I recently just had my gastric sleeve converted to the gastric bypass. I was sleeved in April 2013 and began to suffer from severe acid reflux along with weekly vomiting. My surgeon suggested doing a conversion to the bypass that that would stop the acid reflux and vomiting.

I had the revision surgery on 5/30 right now I'm still on puréed food.

Has anyone else done a surgery conversion and what has been your experience?

Thanks in advance!

Hi All, I recently just had my gastric sleeve converted to the gastric bypass. I was sleeved in April 2013 and began to suffer from severe acid reflux along with weekly vomiting. My surgeon suggested doing a conversion to the bypass that that would stop the acid reflux and vomiting. I had the revision surgery on 5/30 right now I'm still on puréed food. Has anyone else done a surgery conversion and what has been your experience? Thanks in advance![/quote

Please let me know. I had the sleeve in May 2013. And they are wanting me to convert for the bad reflux I have. How is the recovery compared to the sleeve. Actually I'm a band to a sleeve person. The band caused dilation. This acid reflux is bad.

Hi congrats, I was sleeved in dec 2102 and revised to bypass 5/29. So far so good, no real pain, no nausea or vomiting at all, was the same experience when I had the sleeve. I am still on nourishing fluids until Friday when I start puréed food. I feel like I had no surgery, if it wasn't for my surgeon showing me the before and after pics of the stomach I wouldn't of believed I had the surgery. I am not getting any restriction yet, are you getting any?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Funny I feel the same way. Almost like I didn't have surgery. I mean my incisions hurt and gas pains are bad. But my body is adapting to the bypass very well. No acid reflux or nausea and vomiting. I'm very good about getting my Protein in and Vitamins. I've lost 10lbs and am barely a week 11 days post op. How are you doing with the bypass?

That's great to hear, you hear of so many bad side effects with people I'm just glad I haven't had any. So far so good I'm also managing to get all my Protein and Vitamins in, although I'm making a lot of Soup and adding tasteless protein too it and going through Jello like mad lol. I'm now 17 days post op and 22lbs loss since surgery, can't wait to purée stage now, lots of cooking and blending going on in my house right now

Hi Paul, Funny I feel the same way. Almost like I didn't have surgery. I mean my incisions hurt and gas pains are bad. But my body is adapting to the bypass very well. No acid reflux or nausea and vomiting. I'm very good about getting my Protein in and Vitamins. I've lost 10lbs and am barely a week 11 days post op. How are you doing with the bypass?

I have faith thank you. I am a band to a sleeve. Now will be going bypass because of severe reflux. I didn't want bypass was afraid of issues. I have always been regular at bathroom three to four a day. And afraid I will have issues with bypass. I had severe vomiting when I went to sleeve hospital stay of five days. But hearing the stories here I'm feeling a bit better. Did you have insurance issues because of conversion. Was you weight and bmi low. Thanks so much

Hi Paul, Funny I feel the same way. Almost like I didn't have surgery. I mean my incisions hurt and gas pains are bad. But my body is adapting to the bypass very well. No acid reflux or nausea and vomiting. I'm very good about getting my Protein in and Vitamins. I've lost 10lbs and am barely a week 11 days post op. How are you doing with the bypass?

I have faith thank you. I am a band to a sleeve. Now will be going bypass because of severe reflux. I didn't want bypass was afraid of issues. I have always been regular at bathroom three to four a day. And afraid I will have issues with bypass. I had severe vomiting when I went to sleeve hospital stay of five days. But hearing the stories here I'm feeling a bit better. Did you have insurance issues because of conversion. Was you weight and bmi low. Thanks so much

Hi, we have different insurance in Australia so there was no chance of being turned down, luckily. My BMi was only 35, but due to me having the same surgeon who saw the health problems I was starting to have, he was happy to operate on me. He gave me 3 options 1. RNY 2. Omega loop (mini bypass) , I can't remember the 3rd. After a long discussion we both agreed the option 2 was the best and was reversible to a point. As far as BM, I take a natural soft senna tablet twice a day, that keeps my regular daily. 2 1/2 weeks post op, touch wood, still no nausea and everything staying down

i ha the bands, was revised to the sleeve and now the bypass. with the sleeve, i had severe reflux and vomited many times a day. that is all gone ive had some other issues with intermittent abdominal pain that they are working on now. but it is still better than what i experienced with the sleeve

I got my date august 28. Sleeve to bypass this reflux is awful. This is second conversion. I was a band in 2009. Sleeve. 2013. Any suggestions. I'm nervous with making my tummy even smaller. I'm down to a size 10

well i had the same thing...band in 2008...sleeve in 2010. i had a Tummy Tuck in 2011 and i had bypass in 2013. i was down to a size 8. i initially lost about 5 lbs with bypass but now ive gained 10 lbs and im struggling to get down to my pre-bypass weight.

I am going through the steps now for the revision. I to have reflux real bad. I had it before the sleeve and now it is unbearable. One thing I didn't know about before having it in 2012. The surgeon is doing a barium swallow on Thursday to see how much damage is done. I always thought I was alone. Good to know it's not in my head. Lol

actually, many docs wont do the sleeve if you have bad reflux. i can tell you that since i had bypass i have had heart burn twice...nothing that I would even call reflux. i used to be on protonix but havent taken it since the bypass. they also do the barium swallow to see how bad the reflux is

I'm not sure how I missed this thread! I'm revising from a sleeve to a bypass on August 1st. I had a stricture from the moment I woke up from my VSG in 2012 and ever since then the acid has been eroding my esophagus at the stricture and my surgeon said if we didn't revise I'd be looking at esophageal cancer...at 21!! I had bad reflux before and can't help but wonder why he didn't advise me to do the bypass but I'm hopeful that the revision will fix me. I'm also having such bad reflux that it's causing spasms and I'm on a ton of medication to help with those. I've been on and off Lortab this whole time and haven't had any solid food since surgery in 2012. I was relatively healthy besides some comorbitities and the weight and now my life is a mess. I'm a nursing student and I've barely stayed afloat between all the hospital visits, procedures, Vitamin and Protein deficiencies causing no energy and dehydration to the point of getting constant kidney infections.

I'm so ready to feel better, I'd love to hear more about your experiences with surgery and how bad your reflux was before you had the revision.

my reflux was so bad i would wake up with acid everyday in my mouth. my sleeve was never right from the start. i could never est anything solid. i had bypass, the surgery was tough but wasnt horrible. i was really weak after surgery so i was in the hospital for 4 days. since the bypass in september i have had no reflux and heartburn twice. i can eat basically what i want so im very happy

Hello all, if this is still active. I'm having a revision to gbp Dec 4...from vsg Dec 30, 2013. Same issues as you all but mine started the day i woke from surgery, ended up staying 8 days. I have lots of chest pains so I'm terrified of gbp bc im not sure how that will fix my pains. They say is part of acid reflux, but i didn't know it could hurt like the feeling of swallowing hard rocks! I pray this works bc I've suffered since day one. Did yall lose more weight after the revision? My surgeon said that i prob would, i nvr got to my goal weight of 140 with the vsg any ways. But whether i do or don't, i just pray that it stops this pain and i can njoy finally my decision to get help in the first place. Gl all and thx for any answers you care to share:)