Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How's your arthritus?

I'm about a month from surgery, but my arthritic hip is killing me. I'm hoping that getting the weight off it will help, right now I can't really walk too far on it let alone go to exercise levels. What results are any of you seeing as you drop the weight? It has to help, but how much?

my hips and feet are feeling so much better and I've quit taking my anti-inflammatory meds. Of course my left knee is still causing me problems but it is so much better than it was. I know at some point in time I will have to have my knees replaced but I have bought some time with this weight loss. Yay for the sleeve.

At 53, even the 45 lbs that I'm down in 12 weeks have worked wonders on my right knee and ankle and left hip. With weather changes I still feel a bit of pain, but nothing like before. My Dr required I go off of my anti-inflammatory a week before my sleeve, and stay off forever. I was really worried as it made a big difference in my comfort level, but I don't miss it at all now.

Take care, Susan

I don't have arthritis but developed terrible gout in the joints of my big toes after surgery, and after horrible (since 12/30/13) trial and tribulation thought I would share what is helping me.Gout meds have nearly killed me, and put me in the hospital. A compound pharmacist has saved my life and sanity. I take 6 Omega 3 1000 mgs 3 times a day (inflammation fighter), Curamin (morn and night) for pain, Celery seed 4 capsules a day, sprinkle Tumeric on my food, and take Tart Cherry capsules 2 with Breakfast and 2 with dinner. My reason for sharing is this stopped my horrible pain in 2 days in the joint of both big toes, how can it not help other joints. After 6 months I am finally pain free for the first time. Also, I had neuropathy in my feet prior to the sleeve, which disappeared one month after surgery. Look into some natural remedies for the arthritis. Best of luck!

oh Linda thanks for this post...I too have developed gout...and was wondering how to reduce the pain....6 Omega 3 1000mg 3 times?

or total 6 capsules....it must be 6 right.2 at a time?

I too will start...gout pain is bad...i am scared of walking...as it is i couldnt walk much due to arthritis..

thanks again.

oh Linda thanks for this post...I too have developed gout...and was wondering how to reduce the pain....6 Omega 3 1000mg 3 times?

or total 6 capsules....it must be 6 right.2 at a time?

I too will start...gout pain is bad...i am scared of walking...as it is i couldnt walk much due to arthritis..

thanks again.

Yes, you are right about the dosage above. I am now without gout pain 6 weeks straight thanks to the herbal remedies, and am told I can cut down on the pills. I will keep taking them though since (cut the dosage in half) as I do not want that pain again. Just got back from a 7 day cruise and wow, I can walk! I hope you can find relief!

My hips and knees are better to the point that I can walk with a cane instead of a walker, and the pain is less. My back not so much, as I have 14 herniated discs with all of that arthritic complication that goes with it. I need a full lumbar fusion, the one with a posterior, anterior, and lateral incisions with rods and hardware and such. However, I am down 55 pounds at almost six months, and have bought some time with my sleeve. The spine surgeon thinks that if I can get another 50 pounds off, my risk for needing the surgery will be considerably less. I am getting by with continueing the lumbar epidurals and wearing a back brace.

55 pounds is amazing weight loss..miss Mac!!!.i am stuck since more than a month...infact I have gained 1 kg since i got gout pain..

.got my tests done...

cholesterol has risen....so has insulin level...i think thats why I am not loosing...

making some changes in my diet.

linda how wonderful that your pain has gone!!all the best to you both!!

Best wishes everyone, have to keep counting our blessings! Linda

hi Linda....what are the herbal remedies that you took for gout....do tell me..

I am feeling better, having vegetable juice twice...stopped high Protein diet...have a light veggie diet now...might not help in weight loss..but first I have to reduce the gout..

I was told to go on a fruit and veggie diet for 2 weeks which I did, plus the following. Thank God it worked and my pain is gone. Good luck!

I was sleeved November 18, 2013 and the gout attack hit me December 30 like a freight train. Back and forth, both big toe joints. Went to the ER at New Years, called my surgeon's office (was told the Indomethacin will EAT your sleeve, but gout was not their problem or specialty). Raw cherries and juice did not help. My primary doctor put me on Indomethacin and Colcrys anyway which scared me to death. Then I was given Allpurinol, 100 mg. then 300 mg. when that did not help. Through it all I suffered. In March I was out of town and ended up in the hospital after vomiting 8 hours from the meds Indomethacin and Colcrys. I was so dehydrated I was admitted 24 hours. Horrible. There is HOPE. I found a compound pharmacist who put me on a regimen the past 40 days and I am finally pain free for 38 days following this regimen of herbal items purchases from his pharmacy (or online at vitacost, or healthfood store):Solaray Triple Strength Tart Cherry capsules (2 in the am, 2 in the pm); Curamin capsules (1 am, 1 pm)(for pain); Omega 3 fish oil, 1000 mg (2 capsules, 3 times a day) (inflammation fighter); Celery Seed capsules 505 mg capsules (1 capsule 4 times a day); Tumeric spice (sprinkle on food, salads, etc. - he said use this like pepper/salt); Celery - eat as much fresh celery as possible a day. Put in ice Water in fridge for freshness; Eat fruits and veggies for 2 weeks during a flare up. I am a BELIEVER. I used a cane to get to the compound pharmacist after I picked up a 2nd round of steroids (which I did not use). I left the next day for a road trip from Florida to Kansas, and in less than 2 days I was completely pain free and still am today, June 18. I went back to the pharmacist when I returned, and he told me I could cut down the dosage of the supplements. I cut the dose in half now but I will not stop them as I never want to experience gout again.<br /><br />I will never take Indomethacin or Colcrys again. I don't drink alcohol, I never ate the foods they say cause gout. It has to be the protein/weight loss that caused it.All these supplements are herbal. Best Wishes. I feel your pain. Linda

amazing....i too am having a vegetable juice daily...but we dont get all those tablets here....I live in India...i have started Omega 3 thrice...

i am feeling better...am having apple daily...thanks a tonne.

Can you order something online? If someone you know is traveling can they find you some supplements? My worry is that the gout seems to come back. Also, there is a med called Allpurinol that is supposed to be taken daily to keep the gout from returning. Please check and see if it is available. Best of luck to you!