Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Australian Bandsters Chat Thread

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice I have called my doc and am waiting for the nurse to call me back, she thinks I definately need an unfill as reflux at night is bad. The problem is he is over an hour and a half away!!!! I asked if there is any way that it will settle down if I stick to liquids for a while but she says not really and they don't want to encourage bad eating habits. Will let you all know.

Thanks

Hi

thanks mikey 1969, I am so glad I found this forum before i have surgery, it is so helpful just talking to poeple that have been through this, The best support is poeple who have walked in the over weight shoe and can really understand, I to have a ver skinny husband but a very supportive husband, I have not explained this to the children as yet. I will need to tell them as I will not be eating the same food as them for a while. has any one else got children mine are 5 and 7.

Hi Ange123

My children are 12 & 7 and I have been banded for one year now.

The kids have been great. I just told them that I was having an operation to loss my weight.(they have seen me diet on and off since they were born). They even laugh at me when I have to PB.

My children are 19, 11 and 4. They have seen me trying to lose weight every day of their lives. I sat the younger one's down and explained what I was having done and what it will be like after. They are terrific about it. The youngest one is always asking me if I can have this or have that. The few time's I've had to go to the bathroom after eating something, I've tried to keep to myself as my boys get upset when I'm sick (always have). My oldest child is just like me and if she's not careful will have the same issue's later in life, now she's doing what she can to ensure she doesn't end up where I am now. All in all they have been so supportive and understanding. I'm pleased I didn't try to keep this from particularly the younger one's, now we are doing this as a family.

Hi All,

Well you'll be pleased to hear I can eat now!!!! Doc took out the last 1ml he put in, as he says I must be getting close to my max at the moment and he is going away and if I have another problem no-one here to take more out, so I am happy with that at least I can keep a cup of coffee down now.

Hi angel,

I have 2 kids 6 & 2. I didn't really say much to them, I eat what they eat but in smaller amounts, when I could only have liquids etc I explained that I was a bit sick and that I couldn't eat too much, like when they are sick. My 2yo couldn't care less but the 6yo understood. I personally just didn't want him to see me on another "diet" I wanted to show him healthy eating was the way to be fit & healthy, as I struggled all my life with my weight and I believe it started early on from witnessing bad habits. I will explain later if he asks about my scars etc.

Good Luck.

Dionnem,

That's awesome you are feeling better. Must be a worry when something like that happens and you are a distance away from your doc. I have that same problem but so far I've not had a need to go back in a hurry.

Cheers

Lisa

Hi Everyone... so many new names in here now. I was addicted to this sight from early february until i was banded on the 9th March this year. Things are going so well i rarely have the time to pop in to say hi. The band changed my life so much and im so happy.

Im due for my 3rd fill on the 31/5....

hi All

Can any one tell me how common Band Slippage is, that is the part that really concerns me as My husband and I are extending our mortgage to have this operation and how ever will we afford the cost again if the band slips??? does it slip because the bander is eatingt the wrong foods? does any one know??? and can advise me???

And excited but apprehensive June 29 Bandster

Hi Ange123,

I was only banded on the 21 March this year so not really qualified to comment on how common slippages are BUT, when I spoke to my doctor about it before I had the operation he said that IF it happens it won't cost me again. I'm not sure if that's just his policy or the norm. He also told me that slippages are NOT common and if you follow their directions and don't overeat or vomit on a regular basis, this lessen's the chances. I hope this has put your mind to rest somewhat, if you still aren't sure, ASK THE DOCTOR what his policy is in regards to cost if it does happen. I paid for mine so I needed to know also that I wasn't going to be hit again for 1000's at a later date.

Take care

Hi all,

Well today I'm off to the doctors for a second fill. Last night I had a bit of a scare with vomiting but all seems ok this morning. Will stick to fluids for 24 hours and discuss it with Dr Russell today and get his opinion. I'm not sure if I worry more about things because I'm nearly 2 hours drive from my doctor or just because I'm a worrywort lol

Have a wonderful day all,

Cheers,

Hi all.....

well i cancelled my appointment for my 3rd fill. I spoke to the doctor and he said that if i still cant handle a full cup of food at a meal time and still bring things up than its best not to put more fill in. Also the weight loss is still occuring so.... next fill on July 2nd.

I had my second fill of .5mls today. Went well. My doctor was happy with the amount of weight i've lost so far. He's off for a month now so hopefully I won't have any problems while he's away as he is the only Doctor that does this in Rockhampton.

Squeal Sqeal, clap clap, jump up and down. I bought a dress for a formal function today.

it took 5 minutes, it costs only $199, its a size 14 and its gorgeous! How freaking easy was that, I knew the event was coming up but I wasnt looking yet.

I laybyed it so cant take a pic yet, but its gorgeous. Its a fairly heavy black brocade-y sort of fabric, has a slight raised pattern on it, it has a boat neck line and is sleeveless - the neckline comes right out to the shoulder, darted over the bust and the skirt has some darts as well so its kind of tulip shaped, with a big belt around the waist. Very classic, very Audrey Hepburn-ish. Knee lenght. It looked fantastic on too, was a great find because 40 year old mother's of 3 who have lost 35 kgs dont really do jersey very well without some serious foundation garments, lol.

I'm actually not 100% sure we're going as Dougs interviewing for another job (and its a work function) but I'm buying it anyway, I've never got anything to wear when these things coming up.

Jachut,

Congratulations girl. The dress sounds awesome. I agree you should buy it even if you don't go as after all the hard work to lose that weight, YOU DESERVE IT!!!

Make sure you take a pic of you in it sometime and let the rest of us drool.

Cheers,

Hi All,Just popping in to say hi, and see how much weight we are all losing. I have lost 24 kgs so far. It is a real slog though, no doubt. It has been said before that the band is only an aid. The weight aint gonna lose itself.

Susannah