Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6/12/14 - Sugery Buddies Needed

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for buddies that are having thier surgery close to mine or on the same day. So we can go through the up and downs. I am open to anyone (male or female). I am tall 5'8" and have a great family (2 daughters and awesome hubby). I am 35.

So ready for my surgery on Thursday the 12th.

Hello! I am having my surgery June 11th. I'm 285, 28 years old and live in Houston Texas. I am married but no kids yet (someday!). I've been stalking around the boards for a while and pretty freaked out about surgery. How are you feeling about it?

Hi Shiner86,

I am kinda freaked out, but know the closer it gets the more freaked out I will become. I am excited you and I are simular dates. I am doing the diet and have been really good as I want my liver to be small. So the doctor does not hurt it. I think I am more worried about leeks. The doctor said to let it heal the whole time, but that is at the top of my mind. I do not think I will have that issue, but the thought is there.

What about you? What you worried on? Lets think of funny things to think of when we start to worry ;)

I am a veterinarian and I do surgery every day on animals and I keep having this stupid recurring nightmare where I am awake during anesthesia for my own surgery. It's so silly seeing as I know full and well how anesthesia drugs work but none the less I keep having it. That's the most irritating part is worrying about the surgery.

The pre op diet has been pretty good so far. I am not really concerned about the post op diet since I know I won't have a choice in the matter (or at least that's how I think about it). I keep hoping I'll be one of the lucky ones who feels great 2-3 days post op!

When I get really stressed or thinking about it I go and look at before and after pics which really help my mind switch to wishful thinking.

I also wonder if my tastes will change like people say. So many what ifs.... It's exciting and Scary all at once. Have you ever had any surgery befor? I'm hoping they give me some kind of anti anxiety medication before they knock me out!

-Michelle

July 9 here... I think I am more worried about the Endoscopy next week than the VGS ;)

Hi Shiner86,

WOW, that would suck to wake up during surgery. It happened once when I had a colonoscopy, but I was out right after and they all were like lie down. I never went back to that doctor, but I am betting your doctor would not do that or at least say something to them prior (like hey, I do not want to wake up). I have had surgery’s a few. Had my gallbladder out so I am hoping it is about like that. I like to be honest with the people taking care of me and the doctor. So I ask lots of questions and then go this is how I would like it ;) So they know my expectations. So far with my surgery’s it has helped.

I agree on the after diet, I will follow as (same I have to ;)). One of my things is the nausea I do not want to have dry heaves or multiple times I try to get sick which messes with my tummy. Oh the car ride home as well. Seattle drivers are horrible so the drive will be long and bumpy.

My surgery is outpatient, but he is having me spend the night one night - as I am a special kid ;) Ensure I will not die you know semantics. How about yours? Staying the night?

I think when they take me back for the procedure I am going to try and think that I am on a nice sunny beach.

I am thinking of buying stock in GasX ;) As I have been told that helps.

July 9 here... I think I am more worried about the Endoscopy next week than the VGS ;)

Don't worry cryss, the endoscopy is a breeze. I just had mine done Monday. They gave me an IV, wheeled me into the room they do the procedure. My surgeon (he does his own endoscopys) and the anesthesiologist and a nurse were in there. They put some liquid in my IV and I was out within a minute. Woke up on the way back to the preop testing area. I hung out for about 15 minutes until I was fully awake and aware. Got dressed and my ride was there to get my by the time I was done.

I had a very very mild sore throat by mid day, but it was practically unnoticeable. I was never groggy or tired, but they do tell you not to drive for the rest if the day and to have an adult at home with you.

Hi Cyrss,

The prep is the worst, but the drugs are good when you have it. Make sure you tell them you do not want to wake up during. They have a new pill version where you wear a fanny pack camera around. That might be an option. My sure to have sugar free popsicles or couch drops ready as throat will be sore.

Don't worry cryss, the endoscopy is a breeze. I just had mine done Monday.

Thank you for the assurance. That does put my anxiety at bay!

Hi cryss,

Let us know how endo goes.

Hello! I will have surgery on 6/11, I'm on day 3 I my liquid diet. I haven't lost as much weight as I thought. I get nervous and scared however; I can't wait for my end result.

Hi Lizjim30,

Wow you on liquid diet. Is that by choice? I am on a 40 gram carbs or less to shrink my liver. Though I did not see weight loss until I was not constipated. You might want to see how much protien your drinks have and maybe might be backed up? Just a thought as protien does that to me. If not that hang in there. Our bodies are funny and l like to think of them as "the none supportive friend who needs lots of focus and love. When I have finally forgot about her (my body) and stepped back on scale I see results"

Hi cryss,

Let us know how endo goes.

I sure will!

I'm June 10th.. I have no pre-op diet!! Super excited & nervous!!!

Hi guys,

Had my surgery. Everything went well. Have lots of gas as I have a HERNIA repair at the same tine.

I am forcing fluids, but you will hurt, but make sure to flush Fluid.

The nurses I had were great and Dr. Eric Harris is really nice. He did a great job.

Will send more post after I am less drugged up.