Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all! I had my sleeve on June 10th. My surgery seemed to go just fine and as expected. Of course with my luck, I was vomiting blood with every sip of Fluid I took. On June 11th I had an upper G.I. contrast swallow test to show what was going on. There was a blood clot at the end of my esophagus blocking access to my stomach. On June 12 the doctor performed an endoscopy and removed the blood clot. After removing the blood clot he was able to see that what was left of my stomach had twisted ferociously and the opening to my pylorus was extremely tight. After these findings of course I had to go right back into surgery. The doctor did some cutting, some stretching, some slicing, and some finagling to fix it. After the first surgery I starting to get dehydrated and my veins were being uncooperative. I was kept in the hospital until the evening of the 14th when the doctor saw that I was able to drink and keep down fluids on my own, however small amounts they were. As of Monday the 23rd, almost 3 weeks post op during my clear liquid stage, I was drinking about 20 ounces of fluid per day and around 20 g of Protein per day. Needless to say I have been extremely dehydrated and malnutritioned. I had already gone into the hospital a couple of times for IV fluids where they stabbed me countless amounts of times looking for veins that weren't there. Finally on Tuesday, the 24th, I saw my doctor, and he sent me over to the hospital for another upper G.I. to see what was happening. It was there that we saw I was having esophageal spasms and pylorus spasms that was pushing everything I drank back up and my stomach was not emptying at all. My surgeon consulted with several surgeons and came up with a game plan. A shit ton of medication and Botox injections into the lower part of my esophagus and somewhere in my pylorus to paralyze the nerves. I was admitted into the hospital again on June 24 due to dehydration and cramping because of low potassium levels. My doc ordered a picc line be put in to administer nutrition and hydration, and wasn't released until after my Botox injections and my potassium levels were good on June 30. So far so good except for a few superficial blood clots, Constipation and nausea. If I had a time machine, I would undo it all. This has been like living a nightmare. I have put my entire family including my 3 beautiful children through hell going through with this surgery.

Dear Kat619: Oh my dear! I am so very sorry for all your troubles. What a terrible ordeal for you and your family. I am a bit confused...did they actually let you drink fluids immediately after surgery? The protocol is to avoid fluids until after the radiologists have done the fluoroscopy to determine if there are leaks. I hope your issues resolve quickly and you start to reap the benefits at long last. Kudos to you for your courage and tolerance! Best wishes for a speedy recovery from the complications.

Hello all! I had my sleeve on June 10th. My surgery seemed to go just fine and as expected. Of course with my luck, I was vomiting blood with every sip of Fluid I took. On June 11th I had an upper G.I. contrast swallow test to show what was going on. There was a blood clot at the end of my esophagus blocking access to my stomach. On June 12 the doctor performed an endoscopy and removed the blood clot. After removing the blood clot he was able to see that what was left of my stomach had twisted ferociously and the opening to my pylorus was extremely tight. After these findings of course I had to go right back into surgery. The doctor did some cutting, some stretching, some slicing, and some finagling to fix it. After the first surgery I starting to get dehydrated and my veins were being uncooperative. I was kept in the hospital until the evening of the 14th when the doctor saw that I was able to drink and keep down fluids on my own, however small amounts they were. As of Monday the 23rd, almost 3 weeks post op during my clear liquid stage, I was drinking about 20 ounces of fluid per day and around 20 g of Protein per day. Needless to say I have been extremely dehydrated and malnutritioned. I had already gone into the hospital a couple of times for IV fluids where they stabbed me countless amounts of times looking for veins that weren't there. Finally on Tuesday, the 24th, I saw my doctor, and he sent me over to the hospital for another upper G.I. to see what was happening. It was there that we saw I was having esophageal spasms and pylorus spasms that was pushing everything I drank back up and my stomach was not emptying at all. My surgeon consulted with several surgeons and came up with a game plan. A **** ton of medication and Botox injections into the lower part of my esophagus and somewhere in my pylorus to paralyze the nerves. I was admitted into the hospital again on June 24 due to dehydration and cramping because of low potassium levels. My doc ordered a picc line be put in to administer nutrition and hydration, and wasn't released until after my Botox injections and my potassium levels were good on June 30. So far so good except for a few superficial blood clots, Constipation and nausea. If I had a time machine, I would undo it all. This has been like living a nightmare. I have put my entire family including my 3 beautiful children through hell going through with this surgery.

oh my you have been through so much. I sure hope things start looking up and you can heal and move on soon.

Had the gastric sleeve surgery on Monday June 30th, 2014. I came home from the hospital yesterday. I have been experiencing really painful gas pains, painful explosive diarrhea and sharp pains in my belly when I walk. Does this seem normal? I called my Dr.'s office today and the nurse said it is to be expected. However, I have friend who had the same surgery on the same day and her pain has gotten much better. Am I just being a worry wart?

Had the gastric sleeve surgery on Monday June 30th, 2014. I came home from the hospital yesterday. I have been experiencing really painful gas pains, painful explosive diarrhea and sharp pains in my belly when I walk. Does this seem normal? I called my Dr.'s office today and the nurse said it is to be expected. However, I have friend who had the same surgery on the same day and her pain has gotten much better. Am I just being a worry wart?

it can be normal. Walking will help with the fad pains. The pains are most likely your incisions healing. Mine hurt most when getting up or down, or moving to get more comfortable. One of my incisions still hurts a little and I'm 2 weeks out.

My surgery was June 12. I seem to be right on track, having lost 10 pounds so far. Cleared to start walking on the treadmill so, that should improve weight loss. I lost 65 pounds prior to the surgery.

Dear Kat619: Oh my dear! I am so very sorry for all your troubles. What a terrible ordeal for you and your family. I am a bit confused...did they actually let you drink fluids immediately after surgery? The protocol is to avoid fluids until after the radiologists have done the fluoroscopy to determine if there are leaks. I hope your issues resolve quickly and you start to reap the benefits at long last. Kudos to you for your courage and tolerance! Best wishes for a speedy recovery from the complications.

Thank you. It's getting better, but I'm still having trouble getting in fluids. To answer your question, yes my doc did have me drinking right away. His way is he doesn't do a swallow test unless there are issues. I've read that this is pretty standard depending on your surgeon.

• lashomatic: Well, everyone experiences pain at different levels, as you may have heard. You should not be too shy about taking your pain meds to head-off pain, particularly as you describe. In my case I took only a few doses of the oxycodone they gave me and transitioned to liquid Tylenol as quickly as I could (the oxycodone made be dizzy anyway). Some pain should be expected, and the location and number of incision sites will vary to some degree with each patient. Having said all the above, "stabbing" pains in your belly while you are vertical sounds a little unusual. Being vertical was my most comfortable position, it was bending, and particularly twisting motions that lead to pain in my case. I would definitely mention the location and level of your pains to your surgeon. Do also be careful with your activity level initially - to avoid damage to the sutures, staple line, etc.

Hi Kat619: glad to hear you are doing a bit better. You certainly deserve some smooth sailing after all you have been through! Interesting what you said about post-surgery fluids. My surgeon appears to be one of the more conservative ones, in that she does not want us to have any fluids until after the fluoroscope analysis to detect leaks. Even though they all do a leak test while you are on the table, small leaks can escape detection, which is why many surgeons want the more comprehensive fluoroscope analysis. If there is a leak, that can lead to peritonitis, a pretty serious complication! Also, vomiting can stress the staple line and while you are on the heavy-duty pain killers, nausea is not an uncommon reaction to anesthesia and pain meds....

Hi everyone! Just wanted to check in and let you know how my journey is going so far....

HW: 340

SW: 329

CW: 316

I had my surgery on June 16th in Mexico and it went very well. I feel very blessed that I really didn't have any problems after surgery and the healing process is going very smooth. My incisions are healing good too. I started back to work this last Monday so I only had to work 4 days because of the holiday so that is good.

I have to be honest though, I weighed myself today and the scale hasn't moved since last week. I know that I need to be easy on myself but it's hard. Regarding the eating part of this whole thing......it's been a little rough. The first two weeks were pretty easy for me, liquids and Protein. But now that I can start adding softer foods, it's a little rough because of the restriction and trying to get used to that. I know this is part of the journey and I know it will get better every day, because so far it has. I truly believe that having a positive attitude has helped me a lot too. Now, I just have to start adding exercise into my daily routine and I think that will help a lot too.

Here's to my new found independence!

Happy 4th of July!

Holly

THE scale MOVED!!!!!! After two weeks staying the same number (thought I had failed 3 weeks after surgery) and then this morning I was down 5lbs!! My surgeon told me I needed to eat more, so that's what I did and IT WORKED! I'm so happy! Just gonna keep on keepin on with my plan!

How many calories per day are you consuming?

I'm so excited! I feel great, my pain is non-existent, I've lost 43 pounds total SW of 254 CW of 211!! I'm ready to do this!

Thank you. It's getting better, but I'm still having trouble getting in fluids. To answer your question, yes my doc did have me drinking right away. His way is he doesn't do a swallow test unless there are issues. I've read that this is pretty standard depending on your surgeon.

my dr is the same way. I was drink after I got to my room and no leak test done still. I'm glad yo hear things are starting to get better for you.

Edited by stacielynntate

I was sleeved on the 16th and am currently on soft foods phase. Has anyone tried fresh greenbeans? I just strung and broke a whole pot of them but not sure if I should try them or not. I have done ok on eggs, cottage cheese and yogurt but can only eat about quarter of a cup and then wait 30 mins and do the other half of the cup.