Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

no more "normal" food ever?

I had my orientation meeting at Kaiser yesterday which included time with the bariatric dietitian. According to her never again will I be able to eat a tortilla, a spoonful of rice, a bite of Pasta, a piece of bread etc. The only starch in my life can be one piece of well toasted bread or 5 crackers such as Saltines. And, that's just part of the food restrictions. I think you get the picture.

I can certainly live with that for the recovery period. No problem. But I don't want to do it for life. My husband and I travel a lot and I love trying the new foods at our destinations.

I have read so much information from people and purchased cookbooks written by post WLS patients that say you can eventually eat just about anything in very small amounts as long as you are chewing enough.

Part of the reason I am fat is that I love food and I love to cook. I see this whole process as an opportunity to change the way I cook and eat to match a new healthier life style. However, if it is true that I have to eliminate most foods from my diet I am considering not having the surgery.

Would love to get some feedback.

there is no good or bad foods (only better choices)

you can eat what you want....sometimes some things are just better left on shelves or at the drive thru.

3500 calories is a pound ate or drank.....so if you eat only lettuce or bbq chips, its the same.

i did not get super morbid obese by making healthier eating choices.

i am losing weight by eating...i eat what i want...i dont diet and i dont do without..

I am 2 years post op and I eat anything I want, but much smaller portions than before surgery. Your taste buds change after surgery, and for me it opened me up to new things. I am a lot more adventurous with food now. During your recovery stage you want to stick to the doctors orders, but you must live your life after that.

nasucat, I feel the same way. I'm soon to get my surgery date for RNY and the same thoughts invade me constantly. I HAVE to do this for my health; diabetic, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. But it boggles the mind to think that you cannot eat anymore. Obviously, that's not entirely true. I'm just gonna throw this out there and say, maybe my problem is that I don't trust myself around food. I am a fabulous southern cook and baker. The Paula Deen of my family...so to speak. I don't want to feel left out...felt that enough in my life. While I'm not on the fence, I truly understand your concerns. Many nice people on here that are vets, so listen to what they say...I am.

I too was told this story of no bread, no tortilla, no beer, etc. 3 years ago a family doctor told me DON'T DO IT-you will never ever be able to eat normal food again. That scared the poop out of me. So I dropped the idea of WLS.

Then last summer I was wondering about WLS surgery again. Went to a weight management seminar (government hoops to jump through-Canada). they basically said it didn't work. I was looking at a 3 to 5 year wait, and the results would be disappointing. I was also told that after having WLS I would be back to see them about getting the band removed due to problems of illness.

Then last fall I ran into a friend I had not seen in a while. wow, he was thin. This guy loved his beer (works for a brewery) and loved his steak. I was amazed at how he looked-happy and healthy. He had the band 5 years ago, lost 100 pounds and has kept it off. Now came the big question: What can you not eat? He said he eats and drinks what he wants-just in small portions and slowly. Hmm, conflicting stories here.

I called a surgeon for info on the band. He told it like it is. No miracle, just a tool to aid in weight loss.

Then I found this website, wonderful advise and a realistic insight into WLS from real life people who have had it done.

I was banded Jan 22 2014. I followed the food rules to the letter for the first 6 weeks after the surgery. then onto normal food. I have since had thin crust pizza, steak, red wine, Mexican food etc. I eat a very small portion and watch my calorie intake per day. On a regular daily basis I avoid all starchy foods, sugars, and high fat foods as much as possible. I can eat a tortilla, but choose to make it a special occasion only. Any refined sugar and I will not lose weight, in fact the next day, the scale goes up.

Your band will signal you on what you can and cannot tolerate.

the bottom line is that you have to make healthy choices with the food and it will work. You say you love to cook, great that is 75% of the battle. I have found by feedback on this website that most people struggle because they are hooked on fast food, frozen processed foods, prepackaged foods. Look at the labels on foods-high fats, high sodium, high carbs-this is what made us FAT! Cooking fresh is the answer. Get creative in the kitchen. Take those high fat, high sugar chef type recipes and put a spin on them. If you feel like a sandwich, make a sandwich roll in a piece of lettuce instead of bread. Like spicy Mexican-skip the rice and tortilla, serve with a homemade salsa and a 1/4 cup of refried bean etc.

You don't have to eliminate food, you will become conscious of what you choose.

Good luck in your journey

I find it amazing that a Kaiser dietician would make such a ridiculous statement. With a very short list of exceptions, I eat anything I want to eat. The success of the surgery is not about what you can or can't eat. I find it unforgivable for a healthcare "professional" to suggest otherwise. It's about what you choose to eat. Or not eat. Lifestyle changes.

Apparently Bariatric Pal should be required reading for bariatric dieticians - for life!

I had my orientation meeting at Kaiser yesterday which included time with the bariatric dietitian. According to her never again will I be able to eat a tortilla, a spoonful of rice, a bite of Pasta, a piece of bread etc. The only starch in my life can be one piece of well toasted bread or 5 crackers such as Saltines. And, that's just part of the food restrictions. I think you get the picture.

I can certainly live with that for the recovery period. No problem. But I don't want to do it for life. My husband and I travel a lot and I love trying the new foods at our destinations.

I have read so much information from people and purchased cookbooks written by post WLS patients that say you can eventually eat just about anything in very small amounts as long as you are chewing enough.

Part of the reason I am fat is that I love food and I love to cook. I see this whole process as an opportunity to change the way I cook and eat to match a new healthier life style. However, if it is true that I have to eliminate most foods from my diet I am considering not having the surgery.

Would love to get some feedback.

I am pre-op... so you may take this for what it's worth. My nutritionist basically threatened to not recommend me for surgery because I kept saying I didn't want to give up foods like pizza, that I would just eat less of them. She insisted that is not how it works. Also, my surgeons office requires a "Steps Class" in which they gave us a list of behaviors that will ensure our failure, i.e. "things to avoid". Such as eating foods with more than 20% or more of Daily Value of Fat, more than 10 grams of sugar per serving, eating candy, drinking soda or alcohol, etc. If we want to succeed... we need to accept that these foods are no longer in our best interest. I can't say I have learned this yet. But I refuse to go through the surgery and weight loss only to gain it back by returning to old habits.

Just a suggestion, this is something I am finding out about myself... healthy food can taste good too. Fajita veggies are yummy, even without the tortilla. I never knew this. lol. And last little bit I learned in class... rank all the foods you eat on a scale of 1 to 10. then eliminate all the 1's and 2's and all the 9's and 10's. If you don't like it, don't eat it. Same goes if you like it too much.

Anyway... way more info than you wanted, I guess. Good luck!

I find it amazing that a Kaiser dietician would make such a ridiculous statement. With a very short list of exceptions, I eat anything I want to eat. The success of the surgery is not about what you can or can't eat. I find it unforgivable for a healthcare "professional" to suggest otherwise. It's about what you choose to eat. Or not eat. Lifestyle changes.

Apparently Bariatric Pal should be required reading for bariatric dieticians - for life!

DL is right on - as usual. My clinic told us that most people will be able to eat at least 80% of the foods that are currently in their diet, just much less of them. I have yet to find a food that I have not been able to have at least a bite of, and that includes pizza, Pasta salads, pumpkin pie with whipped cream, birthday cake, and ice cream. Obviously, I don't eat these choices very often and I normally limit myself to one small piece or just a bite. It is amazing how satisfying one bite can be! I have yet to experience dumping.

All that said, for the first few months, you will not be able to eat any starches other than possibly a couple crackers. Even 11 months out I do not choose to eat many carbs and normally keep them to fruits and vegies.

I had RNY and it has changed my life in EVERY way. Please don't let what this poorly educated dietitian said keep you from finding your own success story!

Carol