Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was a "super healthy" fat person until surgery changed my life. Was it worth it?

@@LipstickLady

I just came across your fabulous post and results. You look stunning! Awesome and hot!

Such inspiration and great role model for the WLS.

And now, few years later you are maintaining your weight loss and live a happy, productive full life.

Mega Congratulations to you !!!

The weight loss takes years off the face and body, it made you look so much younger :)

I am only 5 months post op, but I already look younger myself, and my face is getting back its shape, and my eyes are big again.

I still have 22Ibs left to goal, and 33Ibs left to lose to my stretch goal.

I believe I will get there.

So, thank you so much for posting your journey.

Awesome stuff!

xxxxx

OK, we Both are Awesome !

xxxxx

I hadn't quite had surgery yet when this thread was started!

You're one of the people that inspired me to be successful. Have I ever thanked you for that?

Thank you.

Ditto @@LipstickLady I hope you feel the love and admiration!

I'm also one of those fit in fat chicks. I've done 4 marathons and numerous other events and always get looked at like yeah right you can really do those? I'm getting sleeved next spring and hopefully this will make it so my joints don't hurt anymore and I don't have to jiggle everytime I walk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using the BariatricPal App

Edited by julsfit

Thank you so much for posting this story. It's the first one I've read on this app, and it's just the one I needed and one that's hard to find elsewhere. I'm a healthy fat person...I even like how I look (mostly). But I know I could be more..."myself". Surgery seems so extreme when I don't have other health issues, so I've been really unsure. Reading your story is perfectly inspiring that this is an option and that the payoff will be great. Thanks again, and congrats on your amazing success!!

Sent from my XT1080 using the BariatricPal App

:)

Edited by lore

You look truly amazing I'm just starting out on this journey same size you were.

I so want to do all the exercise but I am finding I'm so lacking in energy .

Can you give an example of your typical days diet...

Early days and now ...

Big hugs xox

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

When I started this journey I was 5.3 and 264 pounds. I had no health issues. I did martial arts, I went to the gym regularly, I loved to swim laps for exercise, and I didn't have any aches or pains. My blood counts were good and I *thought* I was very happy with myself. I had friends, a successful business, a happy husband and kids, an overall great life.

I decided to have surgery because I didn't want my body to start breaking down and I knew it would. While I could do all those things above, I was starting to get very tired and increasingly lazy. After an hour of laps, I just wanted to sit in my pool chair and read. After a three hour martial arts day, I wanted to sleep on the sofa. I was finding myself watching my family do fun stuff more than participating and I was getting increasingly nervous about going places like the park because I was wondering how I was going to cover up the huffing and puffing and the excessive sweating.

Looking back, I was truly fooling myself into believing that my life was normal except for my clothing size. My biggest dread was going to school events and being the fat mom. I hated that not only for myself, but for my kids. I knew they would never say so, but what child wants to have the super obese fat mom in the room? I was very self conscious about going out in public, never wanting a hair out of place, or my hair and outfit less than perfect. (By God, I may have been a fat person, but I was going to be a perfectly groomed fat person 'cuz that would fool people! Just like wearing all black would fool them or not actually eating in public would fool them.)

My mental armor against my obesity was a louder laugh, a bigger smile, a heartier personality, and I was always told that I was a bit intimidating because I oooooozed self confidence. (I am thrilled to say that I have maintained these characteristics, so I did gain something from my time as an obese person.)

Here I am, 1 year later, 111 pounds thinner (but still 5.3. HA!). I hit my original goal of 159, and am now about 3 pounds away from my stretch goal of 149. I really think I want to get to 139, but really, if I never lose another pound, so be it.

I still swim, do martial arts, I TEACH kickboxing, and I zumba my heart out several days a week. I no longer sweat excessively, I can not only keep up with the family, but I am most often the one who WANTS to go out and do physical things. After a great exercise session, I have MORE energy as opposed to flopping my happy arse on the couch for the rest of the day. I am down from a size 20 to a size 6 and I was able to squeeze into a size 4 the other day. (I turned blue, I couldn't breathe, bend or sit, but I buttoned those b!tches!)

I have done several mud runs and am always looking for more opportunities. I am looking into becoming a certified Zumba instructor and am attending a 3 day martial arts camp without fear of not being able to keep up. I can go into public looking like a wreck from the gym and no longer feel like people are looking at me as the sloppy fat woman, and if I buy a cup of fro-yo or have junk food in my cart, I no longer feel the judgmental stares. (And the meat heads at the GNC actually WANT to help me instead of just ringing me up without eye contact.)

As I start this summer as a thinner person for the first time in 15-20ish years, every day is a wonderment. I am wearing shorts. I am buying sleeveless dresses. I have floppy skin, but I don't care!! I can buy clothes anywhere I want and I have the freedom to spend my day without focusing on how I look, what I am going to eat, who is looking at me judgmentally, if I am going to be able to fit in a space, if I am going to crowd someone. I can be so much more spontaneous in my schedule and I am always looking forward to trying new things. (A super cool perk? If I get something on my clothes or need a quick change of outfit because something comes up, I can run into the store, buy something off the rack without trying it on and I KNOW it's going to fit!!! WHAT!?!?!)

Life was good before. Life is freaking AWESOME now.

Before.

attachicon.gif blackdressbeforeedit.jpg

Now.

attachicon.gif 1year.jpg

And the fun stuff!

attachicon.gif rm100.jpgattachicon.gif RM101.jpgattachicon.gif rm103.jpg

Your are the epitome of Awesomeness!! I'm new to the forum and looking to have surgery next year..just started my process..and I'm a little nervous, but reading stories like yours is very inspiring and it makes me feel like I am making the right decision..I love how u looked at the world before and even moreso now. You are my hero! Lol. God Bless u!

Sent from my XT1650 using the BariatricPal App

I too was a "super healthy fat person" much to the surprise of my doctors and surgeon and while I'm only eight months out I can definitely appreciate the improvements to my quality of life post op. There are a handful of people who've stuck out to me since I joined this site and you're one of them. I thoroughly enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing your story.

Im a "healthy" fat person too. May I ask what you started at? How much are you now? How long have you been sleeved? You know, your whole life story. lol I'm just curious about others. I'm 5'3" and am 238. I'm 37yo getting sleeved on 09/13/16. I'm super nervous. Thanks for responding if you do. I don't normally reach out or blab like this. Hope you are doing well.

I so relate to the Op that was truly me and I am just now owning it @@LipstickLady

I too was a "super healthy fat person" much to the surprise of my doctors and surgeon and while I'm only eight months out I can definitely appreciate the improvements to my quality of life post op. There are a handful of people who've stuck out to me since I joined this site and you're one of them. I thoroughly enjoy your posts. Thanks for sharing your story.

Im a "healthy" fat person too. May I ask what you started at? How much are you now? How long have you been sleeved? You know, your whole life story. lol I'm just curious about others. I'm 5'3" and am 238. I'm 37yo getting sleeved on 09/13/16. I'm super nervous. Thanks for responding if you do. I don't normally reach out or blab like this. Hope you are doing well.

I started at 264 and have settled at 155ish. I am 5.3 so technically, I am "overweight" but I am a solid size 8 with an athletic frame and perfectly satisfied. I could probably stand to lose another 10-15 but then I would always be fighting to maintain. My body is healthy where it is and I rarely think much beyond getting in my Protein and a heck of a lot of cheese.

I'm thrilled.

I so relate to the Op that was truly me and I am just now owning it @@LipstickLady

GOOD FOR YOU!! You can totally do this.