Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I be devastated by skin?!

I have jumped the first round of hoops and got approved for the gastric sleeve. Now all the pre-op appointments and classes and all that jazz. They asked me to quit smoking. I did. I have tests and what not next week.

As everything is getting more and more complete I become more and more nervous about am I going to hate my body with the skin? I am 29, no kids size 22 and people who have had it done keep telling me "you won't be that bad... You haven't had kids"... Well I fear differently. I have already started saving up for a body lift. I am going to need a boob job because I am not sure I can part with my ta-tas indefinitely. My biggest paranoia is my thighs. I am a very proportioned big girl. Not extra big in any one place, not small any where but my feet.

My dad's side is bottom heavy and my moms side is top heavy... And I am everywhere heavy. I wonder if I will be more like my mom, more like my dad, if I will I be well proportioned on the other end. Yet the skin. My mom had by pass 10 years ago and she has a lot of ugly skin in her belly and a pooch she can't manage to get rid of... She says it's my fault (because she had me and my bro, lol) but I shouldn't worry. But why not!!??

I did my fair share of eating. I am not going to walk away from this unscathed but my insurance company makes you sign a contract of no plastic surgery for three years. Am I going to hate myself for a few years?? Until I can nip and tuck what I don't like? Or does it feel so damn good to be healthy that no skin sadness could match the happiness of being in a normal size body?

Hi! I'm 28- I did have two kids before surgery, and just had baby number 3 May 1st. I'm 4'11. I was 248 before surgery (although I think I gained after that point, too.). I was a size 20/22. I was 131 this morning when I weighed. I'm currently in a size 6-ish? Sometimes 4 rarely an 8. I wear size small tops and smalls in most dresses/maxi skirts. I will attach a pic of me one week post baby. I haven't taken any more pics since, but I will. My belly is saggy(but that was there fat or now lol). It's easily hidden in clothes and I'm not looking to be a bikini model. I attached a pic of me in a sleeveless dress also. My arms have always been semi toned (I was pretty athletic through high school) and my thighs are decent, too. The very top is a little wrinkly, but it's not overly noticeable even in a bathing suit.

post-167770-0-54921900-1400949580_thumb.jpg

post-167770-0-08338800-1400949562_thumb.jpg

post-167770-0-50970200-1400949603_thumb.jpg

post-167770-0-78374200-1400949652_thumb.jpg

You sound exactly like me, weight evenly proportioned everywhere... I'm 27 and no kids. I'll be honest, the skin bothers me more then I thought it would presurgery. I have a little more then I hoped, but still not that much.

HOWEVER, I can stand up without my knees killing me... I can walk up the 3 flight of stairs at my work without getting winded. I can shop anywhere I want and buy cute clothes. My clothes hide all of it (as well as my kymaro body shapers). I won't get into how much better sex is... It was good before, but let's just say lots more things are possible once 145 lbs are gone! If I'm feeling self conscience about the little sagging skin, I wear lingerie. I'm excited to ride amusement park rides again this summer, because I haven't been in 5+ years. I'm playing softball again. I tried on wedding dresses and actually enjoyed the experience.

I could go on and on about all the positive things that having this surgery to help me lose weight has done for my life... In short, yes the skin bothers me at times, but I have NEVER regretted the decision to have the surgery because of it.

Edited by snochick2005

Hi! I'm 28- I did have two kids before surgery, and just had baby number 3 May 1st. I'm 4'11. I was 248 before surgery (although I think I gained after that point, too.). I was a size 20/22. I was 131 this morning when I weighed. I'm currently in a size 6-ish? Sometimes 4 rarely an 8. I wear size small tops and smalls in most dresses/maxi skirts. I will attach a pic of me one week post baby. I haven't taken any more pics since, but I will. My belly is saggy(but that was there fat or now lol). It's easily hidden in clothes and I'm not looking to be a bikini model. I attached a pic of me in a sleeveless dress also. My arms have always been semi toned (I was pretty athletic through high school) and my thighs are decent, too. The very top is a little wrinkly, but it's not overly noticeable even in a bathing suit.

I think you look great .... I'm 37 has 4 children and I got over 200 pounds I need to loose. I am seriously afraid of my upcoming body issues but I think I'm going to be so happy healthy that it want matter to much.

I think you look great .... I'm 37 has 4 children and I got over 200 pounds I need to loose. I am seriously afraid of my upcoming body issues but I think I'm going to be so happy healthy that it want matter to much.

Thank you so much! You will be blissfully happy. It's truly been life changing in every way possible. I'm a much happier person- people around me are happier. I can wear what ever I want within reason. It's been great. I still have that moment of oh I don't know if that size large will fit and then it hangs off of me, but I'm coming to terms with the fact that after spending 26.5 years lying to myself and saying I was big boned- I'm really super petite (heck my ring size is a 3.75 now!!!).

I worry about the skin issues too...I'm only 12 days out, so I've got a while to go. I am grateful that my insurance will pick up the tab for some plastic surgery if it's medically necessary (if I get so droopy I have sores and whatnot. My doctor said they are very thorough about documenting it 'just in case') and hubby's already given the go-ahead to at least price the rest of it (arms and whatnot) if it becomes necessary.

Me? I'm taking it one day at a time. I've lost enough already that I can walk better, and now that I can actually side-sleep again, I'm sleeping better. At this point, as long as the clothes cover the worst of it, I honestly don't care a whole lot. I've spent my whole life being fat and trying to adjust parts of my body so they are less noticeable (hint: they're always noticeable). I think giving my boobs a little uplift is the one thing I would like...but then, I wanted that before I went the bariatric route. I breastfed three kids...those things would tuck into my pants (if I wanted them to =P)

Thank you so much! You will be blissfully happy. It's truly been life changing in every way possible. I'm a much happier person- people around me are happier. I can wear what ever I want within reason. It's been great. I still have that moment of oh I don't know if that size large will fit and then it hangs off of me, but I'm coming to terms with the fact that after spending 26.5 years lying to myself and saying I was big boned- I'm really super petite (heck my ring size is a 3.75 now!!!).

Lol I'm sorry I had to laugh just because I've said my entire life I was big boned and I already wear a 6.5/7 ring I can imagine what'll happen looking weight in my hands even my feet I'm scared to buy shoes cause everyone says your feet shrink after surgery. I also already have a small face so I'm also afraid of loosing weight in my face..... Crazy, huh?!?lol

I worry about the skin issues too...I'm only 12 days out, so I've got a while to go. I am grateful that my insurance will pick up the tab for some plastic surgery if it's medically necessary (if I get so droopy I have sores and whatnot. My doctor said they are very thorough about documenting it 'just in case') and hubby's already given the go-ahead to at least price the rest of it (arms and whatnot) if it becomes necessary.

Me? I'm taking it one day at a time. I've lost enough already that I can walk better, and now that I can actually side-sleep again, I'm sleeping better. At this point, as long as the clothes cover the worst of it, I honestly don't care a whole lot. I've spent my whole life being fat and trying to adjust parts of my body so they are less noticeable (hint: they're always noticeable). I think giving my boobs a little uplift is the one thing I would like...but then, I wanted that before I went the bariatric route. I breastfed three kids...those things would tuck into my pants (if I wanted them to =P)

I'm glad that insurance will cover plastic surgery if its medically necessary I'm praying I have that same luck.... I want a c cup implant and a boob lift too because its something I've wanted for years now. I've always ha plenty of Junk in the trunk and no head lights ever! My surgery is the 24th of June so hopefully it will all go well.

Lol I'm sorry I had to laugh just because I've said my entire life I was big boned and I already wear a 6.5/7 ring I can imagine what'll happen looking weight in my hands even my feet I'm scared to buy shoes cause everyone says your feet shrink after surgery. I also already have a small face so I'm also afraid of loosing weight in my face..... Crazy, huh?!?lol

My feet shrunk from an 8.5-9 to a 7.5-8. They are also all skin and bones now lol. My big boned self was also a 6.5-7 ring pre surgery lol. My husband calls me his pocket wife all the time- or his little miracle (a local radio station started calling girls under 5'3 with big boobs little miracles and it stuck). I'm pretty sure without the girls I would be 20lbs lighter. (I'm nursing my new baby now and currently in a 34H, but I've always had big boobs no matter the weight).