Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is a "Slider" food?

I've seen this reference in many posts but can't find a post explaining what it is.

A slider food is a food that you can eat a lot of. It does not have a dense Protein as a base and so therefore it slides right through your sleeve and does not allow the flaps to close on either end of your sleeve to start the digestive process....

Me..pop corn is one of my worst sliders I can eat 3 cups before I even think about it.....Ice cream, Cookies, candy, cake, chips, Popsicles, usually refined sugar anything is a slider...Some people are fortunate and can't eat refined sugar...Most can....

If you start with dense Proteins then you will fill up with a lot less food.....And your flaps will close ( sounds like a plane ) lol to hold it in the sleeve to start breaking it down...

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

^^^^^^ what she said :)

at the beginning, not MANY things are sliders since you still have some residual swelling etc. As time goes on, MANY things can become sliders.

For example, I could hardly eat ANY bread - a couple bites and I would get really sick - totally bloated my little stomach. Now, not so much! Still can't eat a whole sandwich but I can def eat a full half now and if I eat biscuits/rolls I could eat a couple without stopping. :) THAT's where healthy choices and watching your basics comes in!

Any chips, Cookies, candy, etc - all sliders! Especially, those little white powdered donuts! (if you get my drift!) LOL

I am terrified about even touching a little white doughnut @@Georgia I believe that they are solely responsible for at least 20 lbs of my excess weigh..Maybe more...I will not allow them in the house...I do look at them but I do not touch.

Thanks..now I am thinking about them... :(

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

I am terrified about even toughing a little white donut @@Georgia I believe that they are solely responsible for at least 20 lbs of my excess weigh..Maybe more...I will not allow them in the house...I do look at them but I do not touch.

Thanks..now I am thinking about them... :(

Hee hee! So sorry, RJ!!!

Thanks! That's super good info. So the SLIDER foods can be the DANGEROUS foods. I just thought anything would fill you up.

Why don't slider foods fill you?

A slider food is a food that you can eat a lot of. It does not have a dense Protein as a base and so therefore it slides right through your sleeve and does not allow the flaps to close on either end of your sleeve to start the digestive process....

Me..pop corn is one of my worst sliders I can eat 3 cups before I even think about it.....Ice cream, Cookies, candy, cake, chips, Popsicles, usually refined sugar anything is a slider...Some people are fortunate and can't eat refined sugar...Most can....

If you start with dense Proteins then you will fill up with a lot less food.....And your flaps will close ( sounds like a plane ) lol to hold it in the sleeve to start breaking it down...

Hey RJ,

popcorn is my biggest slider also. I can only eat a small amt of ice cream, milkshakes, Cookies, chips - but for some reason, If I tried hard enuf, I could eat a whole bucket of movie popcorn. At home, I usually measure out air popped (with real butter, of course, non of that microwave crap) to 2-3 cups but at the theater, I just eat until I'm stuffed -which is alot of popcorn.

Cheez Its also. Not sure why I can eat an endless amt of these 2 things but only a few bites of ice cream? Oh, and candy, except chocolate. I can only eat a bite of chocolate.< /p>

Sliders are different for everyone. It takes some practice to find out what sliders are urs.

Good luck!

Thanks! That's super good info. So the SLIDER foods can be the DANGEROUS foods. I just thought anything would fill you up.

Um, "slider" :) In other words, there is NO RESTRICTION on a slider food. Or at least, not much! Like RJ said, popcorn just keeps "sliding" - so you have to practice true Portion Control with those foods.

As eluded to earlier, I can (and have! yes, I said it!) eaten basically a LOT of little donuts in a matter of hours. That's why our surgeons recommend low carb, high Protein diets. Most carby foods turn out to be sliders.

This is also why some doctors will tell you to limit your usage of yogurt, Protein Shakes, etc. if you get to a certain point and stall. Even though they can be good sources of Protein, it's harder to overeat dense protein.

Thanks! That's super good info. So the SLIDER foods can be the DANGEROUS foods. I just thought anything would fill you up. Why don't slider foods fill you?

1. Because when smooshed down, the take up very little space. Think of an entire bag of potato chips. When crushed it's only about 2 cups of crumbs that pack 1700 or more calories in them. They don't take up much room.

2. They are high calorie liquids or full liquids that go right through the stomach in 10 mins eg shakes, yogurt etc.

3. They are not dense Proteins which cause the valve at the bottom of the stomach to shut so your stomach can start pre-digesting food. That causes your sleeve to feel full and restricted. That tends not to happen with refined carbs or fats.

"Slider" food

@@DarbiMolly

as you can see B) we have a lot of smart "cookies" on this forum ;) that answered your question

i have 3 major sliders :angry:

popcorn

Protein bars

pistachio nuts!! :wacko:

the nuts (no i'm not talking about OP, well maybe a little) LOL :lol:

pistachio's are the hardest thing for me to deal wiith :angry:

i usually don't buy them, because 25 are great - but its hard for me to stop then!!!! :mellow:

good luck :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Oh man popcorn. I love it but there is seriously no shut off for it. Same with salt and vinegar chips. Can't keep em in the house. Sugar makes me sick luckily.

That's interesting as I though any and all food would full you up. Thanks so much for this post. I learn something new and interesting everyday I'm here. That's what its for right? lol This post and it's responses help with the thought that VSG really is a "tool" as there are "dangerous foods" as DarbiMolly called them. Great Post!!!

I love Skinny Pop popcorn. I am only 5 weeks out but I can eat a full serving (4cups). I measure it out and eat it when my family is eating foods like fried chicken and pizza.

Hey RJ, popcorn is my biggest slider also. I can only eat a small amt of ice cream, milkshakes, Cookies, chips - but for some reason, If I tried hard enuf, I could eat a whole bucket of movie popcorn. At home, I usually measure out air popped (with real butter, of course, non of that microwave crap) to 2-3 cups but at the theater, I just eat until I'm stuffed -which is alot of popcorn. Cheez Its also. Not sure why I can eat an endless amt of these 2 things but only a few bites of ice cream? Oh, and candy, except chocolate. I can only eat a bite of chocolate. Sliders are different for everyone. It takes some practice to find out what sliders are urs. Good luck!

Marfar7: how far out are you from having the surgery?