Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you miss anything about being Fat? (You're Old Body)

Thanks for posting this article - I love it! I'm pre op for sleeve (but post op for band, but never got "thin" with the band). The first item on her list - power - is something I think about a lot, and something I worry will lead me to self sabotage if I don't stay conscious of it.

I experienced abuse as a child and I yearned to grow up and get big enough so that I could not be physically dominated and hurt. I know I don't need size, especially fat, to protect me anymore, but psychologically I do think that my size gives me a sense of invulnerability.

Like the woman who wrote the article I plan to focus on building strength and muscle as a way to combat this issue. I should think about self defense classes too. Not so much that I'll need it, but I think it will help me feel safe and comfortable at a smaller size.

I also love her perspective overall - very positive. I think it's important for us to love our fat selves, even while striving to become thinner.

I miss my girls. I was a 42JJ they have now deflated to 38J. They are no longer attractive with the loose skin and now noticeable stretch marks.

I miss my smooth thick thighs! I never had these dimple or cottage cheese looking thighs before :(.

I miss my full arms. Now when I wave at someone it continues all the way up my arm lol.

But what I have gained is so worth all of it LIFE

My surgery is 3 weeks away, I have wondered what I will miss and what I am ready to never experience again.

I just got back from a business trip that included a 12 hr flight on a 747 to Asia, I fly economy of course, and the economy lavs are super tiny. My body brushed either side to sit on the toilet, I couldn't bend over far enough to wipe the front much less the back, it was humiliating and more than a little gross. I prayed that I wouldn't have to have a poo, you know? LOL. I never want to be in that situation ever again. Of course I had to ask for a seat belt extender on a few of the legs, And I was terrified that I was encroaching on my row mates seat. I never want to be in that situation ever again. I could go on about being a gargantuan women in a sea of tiny Asian people, but that is just unnecessary.

What do I think I will miss? Now I don't expect to become Miss USA after surgery, but I have joked in the past that no one ever wonders who I slept with to get where I am in my career. Because I work in male dominated field, I am often the only woman in the room or in a travel group. Sometimes I wonder if it would have been easier/different if I had a hot bod, but then I remind myself that these guys treat you like a compatriot because they don't think of you that way and that makes me happy. So I wonder, if I lose the weight, will that change? Will they see me more as a woman than as a skilled professional? So I guess I might miss my fat coat...

Edited by SnohoGal98296

Thanks feedback everyone!

I have a love hate relationship with my body, Sometimes I really love the way my fat hides me from the rest of the world, The way my ass look's in a pair of jeans, How my breast make the perfect cleavage,and my thick strong arms.

But then I think of all the thing's I really hate and I guess they really do outweigh the thing's I like.

I don't miss shopping in the tiny plus sized section of the store that was mostly old lady clothes.

I don't miss my thighs chaffing together.

I don't miss the boob sweat or underboob rash.

I don't miss huffing and puffing on family walks.

I don't miss being the fat mom at every event.

I don't miss the dread of running into someone I've not seen in years cuz I'd gained so much weight.

I don't miss having to have every hair in place and makeup done every time I left the house because I didn't want to be the sloppy fat lady.

I don't miss sweating uncontrollably doing every day tasks.

I don't miss feeling cramped in a bathroom stall, turning sideways going down an aisle or squeezing past people and still bumping them.

I don't miss having to request a table over a booth or if one was not available, squeezing in, belly and boobs resting against the table.

I don't miss being unable to paint my own toenails and breathing at the same time.

I don't miss wearing all black all the time cuz no one would be able to tell that I was fat if I did that. (Eye roll)

I don't miss making excuses to get out of doing stuff because being so fat made me so tired...

I could go on forever. Nope. I don't miss a thing.

Lipstick Lady...You said you don't miss squeezing past people and still bumping them. I had to chuckle a bit because I still find myself doing that! (I don't bump into them of course) More than once I have squeezed past someone unnecessarily. I forget I am a lot smaller than I was this time last year. I can get into tighter situations with ease and don't need to suck it in!!! It is part of the head game, takes a while for the head to play catch up..

Nope. NOTHING.

My surgery is 3 weeks away, I have wondered what I will miss and what I am ready to never experience again.

I just got back from a business trip that included a 12 hr flight on a 747 to Asia, I fly economy of course, and the economy lavs are super tiny. My body brushed either side to sit on the toilet, I couldn't bend over far enough to wipe the front much less the back, it was humiliating and more than a little gross. I prayed that I wouldn't have to have a poo, you know? LOL. I never want to be in that situation ever again. Of course I had to ask for a seat belt extender on a few of the legs, And I was terrified that I was encroaching on my row mates seat. I never want to be in that situation ever again. I could go on about being a gargantuan women in a sea of tiny Asian people, but that is just unnecessary.

What do I think I will miss? Now I don't expect to become Miss USA after surgery, but I have joked in the past that no one ever wonders who I slept with to get where I am in my career. Because I work in male dominated field, I am often the only woman in the room or in a travel group. Sometimes I wonder if it would have been easier/different if I had a hot bod, but then I remind myself that these guys treat you like a compatriot because they don't think of you that way and that makes me happy. So I wonder, if I lose the weight, will that change? Will they see me more as a woman than as a skilled professional? So I guess I might miss my fat coat...

Looking forward to reading about the changes you experience. :)

This only things I miss slightly are my boobs and having enough padding on my bottom so that it's not uncomfortable sitting on my bony butt.

My rear is a millions time smaller than it was, but I guess I am lucky to say it is still far from boney. Maybe when I get closer to goal?....LOL ( I am not related to either Kim Kardashian or Jennifer Lopez so I believe it will eventually disappear)

I might miss my curves but hey I can buy them back :)

no idea what it's like to live in a normal body. basically my identity!.

@@HalloweenBaby24

i can understand/relate to your above comment to how will you feel once you are/will/do continue to lose weight

being heavy was your identity??? Been there, done that :angry:

time for a change!!!!

i don't know what the heck i would/could possibly regret about having surgery :)

common response to that statement is "I wish i had done this (WLS) years earlier :)

i no longer take my insulin/diabetes meds/high blood pressure, CPAP :)

physically, mentally, - its amazing how i feell :)

i have so much confidence :)

this is/was completely necessary for me!!!! no question/alternative/

my last desparate/chance for success with weight loss

I'm sure you know/realize that many/most/all of us have taken off the weight

you look like a smart cookie :)

you made the smart decision to have the sleeve..........you now have to follow through by eating and drinking correctly til you reach goal

then with maintennance - your hard work continues

you must continue to work hard/follow ALL the rules et al for the rest of your life

in our "old lives" some/many/all of us have been successful in losing a lot of weight :)

but many/most/me regained their weight plus!!!!

the sleeve will "HELP" you - but YOU must do a lot of hard work

"you" work with the sleeve and it will work for/with you :)

best wishes for August :)

good luck to you

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

On a silly note, I am also going to miss my boobs and booty! The comment that you can buy back your curves has me laughing!

On a serious note, I'm pre-op, so I can't speak for how it will be after the surgery but I imagine I'm going to miss being a confident, strong, fat woman. It's taken me years and years to get to self-acceptance and certainly loving yourself when you're fat is a fairly radical thing to do in this sociey and I like being radical! But I love my life so much that I want it to last as long as possible and so here I am.

Will I miss being obese? No. But would I trade in the lessons in compassion, self-acceptance and acceptance of others that I've learned along the way? No. I have plenty of thin family and friends who learned those lessons in other ways but this was my path and I'll always be grateful for it.