Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Difficulty in you just can't grab something and eat it - you have to make sure it's not to much, Protein based, eat healthy - always have to think what goes into your mouth, for me I am already tired of the constant thought process

I just want to feel normal and eat normal...

You mean the kind of normal where you just ate what you wanted, as much as you wanted, when you wanted, and look in the mirror and be proud of what you saw? That normal? The kind of normal where you walked into a room and felt every set of eyes on you when your hand smacked against a chair because you misjudged how wide you are? Or are you missing the kind of normal where you're at the doctors office looking at your blood pressure and pulse and wondering how you're not dead, or seeing your A1C and blood glucose level and wondering why you're not in a diabetic coma, or falling asleep at a stoplight because the sleep apnea kept you from sleeping last night? Are those the kind of normals you're missing?

Keep your normal, and have mine too. My life is sometimes inconvenienced because I've had sleeve surgery, but I'll take it over the "normal" life I had over a year ago anytime.

You have been given an incredible second chance at life that not everyone gets. Take the gift, make the most of it, and enjoy all life has to offer or sit there and feel sorry for yourself - choice is yours.

You need to find your happiness in something other than food. Zumba? Walking a dog? Knitting? Reading a great book? A new set of friends at a meet-up group? food is fuel and a necessity for your body, but not a necessity for your happiness. Go find something you love to replace eating. You will be SO glad you did.

My Facebook friends list DOUBLED in the last year alone because of this right here. I have met the most amazing people during this journey - people who inspire me and make me want to be a better me (present company included). People who I inspire (imagine the surreal feeling of being told that YOU inspire someone and by more than one person and more than one time).

Don,

What do you mean when you say your life is sometimes inconvenienced by the sleeve???

For me I just feel with all the issues I have gone through there is just no light at the end of the tunnel, maybe in another couple of months my feelings might change but at the moment I am totally miserable :(

Lilprincess, thank you so much for your encouraging words, they made me CRY... I just feel at the moment this new life is such a chore instead of it being how I thought, wonderful. I know I need to move forward and some days I really do, then I have a set back and the regret comes flowing in. I will try my best to make this more FUN, just won't promise....

Unhappysleever--the "promise" needs to be only to yourself--no one else. You don't have to "try your best". Just do it!!! Until you make up your mind to stop your negative self-talk and start telling yourself that you CAN and WILL do this, your are going to continue to feel bad. That probably sounds really mean and cruel to you. Of course it's great that we have these boards to "vent" our feelings and frustrations. But when you say that you are "just not interested" that is much more than just venting frustration.

You've been talking about complications you've been continuing to have. You're 4 months out--are they medical complications that are being treated? Surgical complications are generally resolved by this time. Do you need to be more assertive with your medical team?

Ask yourself--what are you waiting for that will make this not a "chore" as you call it. It is what it is. Please take some time to really think about how your negative thoughts and attitude are affecting your ability to live each day with joy. YOU wake up each day and consciously make that decision. Just remember--what we say to ourselves has EVERYTHING to do with how easy or how hard we make our WLS story.

Don,

What do you mean when you say your life is sometimes inconvenienced by the sleeve???

For me I just feel with all the issues I have gone through there is just no light at the end of the tunnel, maybe in another couple of months my feelings might change but at the moment I am totally miserable :(

For clarity, I'm not talking about complications after surgery as that is a different conversation. I'm talking about times like when I wasn't paying attention and ate too much too fast and experienced sliming. Or times when I've chugged too much too fast and had it come right back up. Stuff like eating bread at a restaurant before a meal - if I fill myself up on bread, I have no room for what I've ordered.

Apex4me, i really do think it has taken me out of my comfort zone and i just dont like it. I haven't set my self any goals cause at the moment my true only goal is to wake up in the morning and not feel sick all the time. I just think this is going to take me 6-12 montths to feel good, i hate feeling ill. The only thing i cant complain about is i now weigh 66lbs less but would be okay if i didnt lose another pound.

(Just saw this after my last post)

Please help me understand what you're saying here. Being taken out of your comfort zone is one thing but feeling sick or till all the time is not normal and needs to be addressed. Have you contacted your surgeon about this? How are you on hydration and Protein levels? Are you taking your Multivitamins like you're supposed to? How about your B-12?

Edited by DonRodolfo

I was sleeved on the 14th Jan this year, first 2 weeks fabulous no complaints, then week 3 got really sick, surgeon ran blood tests found out i was in acute renal failure, due to my bp meds and reflux med causing a toxic reaction through my body, if it was left a couple more days would have been on dialysis for 6 months. Then the nauseastarted, no med tablet would make it subside so dealing with that for the next month. All this time dealing with chronic reflux ( 5 different meds and nothing worked), all of which also gave me diarrhea and bad abdominal pains, still suffering some reflux...something i never dealt with before. Not sleeping well at night is also contributing but have no idea why every morning i wake up feeling ill.In regards to hydration i have no choice but to drink all day as my kidneys still haven't recovered and after my last blood test the surgeons said they were worst than first thought, take my multi every day and try and get my Protein in - now all is revealed why i am so unhappy....

I was sleeved on the 14th Jan this year, first 2 weeks fabulous no complaints, then week 3 got really sick, surgeon ran blood tests found out i was in acute renal failure, due to my bp meds and reflux med causing a toxic reaction through my body, if it was left a couple more days would have been on dialysis for 6 months. Then the nauseastarted, no med tablet would make it subside so dealing with that for the next month. All this time dealing with chronic reflux ( 5 different meds and nothing worked), all of which also gave me diarrhea and bad abdominal pains, still suffering some reflux...something i never dealt with before. Not sleeping well at night is also contributing but have no idea why every morning i wake up feeling ill.In regards to hydration i have no choice but to drink all day as my kidneys still haven't recovered and after my last blood test the surgeons said they were worst than first thought, take my multi every day and try and get my Protein in - now all is revealed why i am so unhappy....

Hi unhappysleever, thanks for opening up about your complications following surgery. It sounds like your kidneys are ok NOW as long as you are vigilent about drinking the required fluids--is that right? So, all the REALLY bad things are in the PAST now and what you need to FIX are basically:

1) Not feeling nausea when you first wake up;

2) Getting better sleep

3) Feeling happy every day and enjoying life again

This is not meant to be disrespectful to your surgeon, but the truth is that medical professionals are super busy people and sometimes they don't really HEAR us unless we really make a lot of NOISE about what is bothering us. Maybe you have to make your point more strongly that this nausea and lack of sleep and depression is NOT OK WITH YOU and you need your surgeon's help to fix it. You are much closer than you were to FEELING BETTER. Don't slide backward now!

In one of your posts, you said that you've lost 66 pounds and you don't care if you don't lose any more. Does that mean that you have reached your weight loss goal already? So you are at maintenance at just 4 months from your surgery? If that is the case--congratulations!. But if that is NOT the case--you said something else. You said you think it's gonna take you 6 to 12 months to feel better. The first 6-9 months after surgery is the time when the weight comes off the "easiest." After that, it slows down. So RIGHT NOW is the time when you need to be following your Bariatric Eating program the closest without deviating from it. I don't need to say this--you KNOW it's true--filling up on bread before a meal definitely WAS NOT on MY program, nor is it on yours. This was not meant as a "guilt trip", just a reality check for you.

I hope by now from all the people who have responded to your post, that you realize there are a lot of people on this forum who care about you and your long-term success. Like I've said, you have your sleeve. That cannot be changed now. You must comply with the lifestyle or you face more real life-threating complications in the future if you CHOOSE not to. The choice is yours. You CAN live a happy and complication-free life. If you do not know how to do that, please find the resources to make that happen. It IS in your power.