Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgeon recommended roux n y, I was thinking sleeve

Helenamarie83, I am so happy for you and your cousin being able to do this together! What a blessing! Having someone to confide in, to share the emotional roller coaster with will strengthen your resolve, especially since you are so close. And after the surgery it will be a big plus also! You and your cousin are very fortunate! Bless you both on your journey and keep us informed on how you are doing. It is so nice to have this forum where we can all ask and share information! Thanks everyone!

I don't think I could have done it without her! When we asked to be scheduled together, they said that I would be near impossible to do so, especially because we requested June 16th, but she checked anyways and our open spots were right there. We took that as a sign, for sure!

Nancy E, I am hoping for an early August surgery date also. My last nutrition appointment is July 10th, and at that time my surgeons office can turn in the paperwork to my insurance company. I too go between excitement and concern. So many people feel like that they have to tell me about this friend or that person who is "always sick" after weight loss surgery. But I am "always sick" now because of my weight! I have seen people post about weight loss of 150 lbs in one year. I can only hope my progress is as good as that!

I have been through the same thing since starting the process the very few people I have told have all had stories about other people being sick, it's not being worth it, I wouldn't do it, it's easy way out ... And so on I do regret telling the few people I have told but I just have to keep in mind that I'm doing it for me and no one else I know the reasons I signed up for it. I have a friend who is judgmental about it but I know she wishes she were doing it with me she's much larger than I am but her defense is to say that I'm taking the easy way out/i like being fat. So far there has been nothing easy about this process and from what I understand it's much harder after surgery.

Helenamarie83, I just love happy endings and that is exactly what I see for you and your cousin!!! I agree, I would take the date being open for both of you as a sign also. Do you guys live close to each other? You will be able to walk together or whatever form of exercise you choose. Having an exercise buddy I think helps to keep us accountable and I know gets me out there on the days I just don't feel like it. Make sure you and Mexicangirl keep us all updated. I'm so very excited for you both!!

I am so happy I found this thread! I saw a surgeon that was supposed to be mine back in March, she mentioned that the sleeve would be beneficial to me because I don't have 100lbs to lose ( I'm 174 and 4'11) so I psyched myself that I'm getting the sleeve. Well, it's no longer going to be that surgeon but her partner now and I went to see him last week and he said no he's going to do the bypass instead because there isn't enough research on the sleeve and they are getting people coming back that we're sleeved to fix problems. I left in shock and disappointment however I'm now becoming used to the idea of the bypass, any thoughts on this? I though I was the only one lol

@@lisavz be very careful that you are not starving yourself. Of course we should try not to survive on Protein Shakes, but use them if you have too. All the best to you! Take care of yourself. :)

Helenamarie83, I just love happy endings and that is exactly what I see for you and your cousin!!! I agree, I would take the date being open for both of you as a sign also. Do you guys live close to each other? You will be able to walk together or whatever form of exercise you choose. Having an exercise buddy I think helps to keep us accountable and I know gets me out there on the days I just don't feel like it. Make sure you and Mexicangirl keep us all updated. I'm so very excited for you both!!

Thankyou. She and I have always lived a couple miles apart, but when we started this process,

I actually moved in with her to make it even easier, so now I'm just down the hall. It makes it easier, living with someone who eats the same way and is trying to achieve the same goal. Strength in numbers! We have our pre-op nutrition class tomorrow morning. I can't wait!!

I really love hearing everyone's stories. I have just started my journey but they are fast tracking me and I am supposed to have surgery the week of June 9th as long as everything comes out OK.

I have been thinking of doing this for the last 6 months and have researched the heck out of all of it. I originally also thought I wanted to do the sleeve but when I met with the surgeon he wants me to do the bypass because it has a better success rate. Nancy E. I also have Fibromyalgia. I know it won't completely get rid of it, I just hope this helps with my joints and other issues. I also am on heart medicine, have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I am hoping this helps with everything. I am very excited and I can't wait to have my surgery. I KNOW I will succeed and do what I need to do to get better. This site is wonderful to talk to everyone! All the support helps.

@dcostella I'm also June 9th... welcome to the club.

Ginger

This is a topic I have been considering too. I really want the sleeve because I don't want to deal with nutrient issues later. I am type 2 but it is controlled fairly well (A1C was a 6 last time). I don't want to be tied to medication any more so bariatric is definitely the way to go. The sleeve DOES help put diabetes into remission right? Can one go back later and have the bypass as a revision if the sleeve doesn't go far enough?

This is a topic I have been considering too. I really want the sleeve because I don't want to deal with nutrient issues later. I am type 2 but it is controlled fairly well (A1C was a 6 last time). I don't want to be tied to medication any more so bariatric is definitely the way to go. The sleeve DOES help put diabetes into remission right? Can one go back later and have the bypass as a revision if the sleeve doesn't go far enough?

To revise a sleeve into a bypass, at that point it's more of a duodenal switch which is a much more malabsorbtive procedure than the RNY, and from what my surgeon said, is almost never done unless in very special circumstances. I was concerned with absorption too, which is why I initially went with the sleeve, but after deciding to switch to RNY, I found that the sleeve also causes malabsorption and there is no difference in the amount of Vitamin supplements you have to take between the sleeve and RNY. They key is to take them they way they're advised, if you do that, you should be fine.

@@Travelmego Yes you can revise from the sleeve to the Rny Gastric Bypass, but why would anyone want to have a surgery going in thinking they want to revise? One bariatric surgery is difficult enough and with every revision the complications skyrocket. It's always better to choose the best surgery for ourselves by making that decision with looking at all of the pros and cons of each one and getting suggestions from our bariatric surgeon.

I am revising from the sleeve to the bypass due to extreme GERD issues which is causing a lot of other health issues for me. I wish I could just stay sleeved but I can't, it would kill me eventually. That is the only reason any good surgeon would revise someone, for medically necessary reasons.

Edited by LilmissDiva Irene

When originally I wanted the sleeve, my surgeon told me flat out that I will most likely will come back for a revision, and he will do it for me (hey, money talks, I was self pay), but he asked me why would I want to have two surgeries when I can have one and reach my goal? But I was so obsessed with the thought of sleeve that I did not listen to him, and he got kind of fed up with me.

Turned out I had GERD, so then he said no way for the sleeve and I had to go along, so I got the bypass. I could not be happier. No more reflux, and my weight loss is rather on the slow side but it's steady. Plus I can eat anything and I do not have dumping. Also, my Dr said that only 50% of the bypass patients will have Vitamin deficiency. I know plenty of ppl with bypass who do not take any Vitamins and they are just fine.

I am not going in thinking to revise. I want to take the option that meets my goals with the least potential complications post surgery - including quality of lifestyle. Right now, it seems the sleeve is the option that best meets these goals. If the sleeve doesn't work as well as I hope, then I want to know what options I have post sleeve. On the other hand, there are excellent results for the bypass 'curing' diabetes. If the option of revision to bypass is too difficult, and there is a high chance the sleeve won't work, then I would opt for the bypass and not the sleeve. I am not convinced yet, however, that the bypass is my only real option. It is such a difficult decision!

Edited by Travelmego

I was going for the sleeve and the surgeon convinced me that the bypass was a better choice. I am an insulin dependent Diabetic who will never be off of insulin and take tons of other meds for medical conditions; Rheumatoid Arthritis, Fibromyalgia, and Spinal Stenosis. I am hoping that some of my pain will go away. Because I have bad reflux he also felt the bypass was a better choice. My surgery is scheduled for 6/27/14 and I am scared but cannot wait at the same time. I am a nurse so I get it and belive me it doesn't help. Lisavz not sure why your blood sugars went up. Stress on the body (surgery and healing) can increase your blood sugars. I would keep a tight monitoring of it and what you ate that may cause it to be elevated. Hopefully it is just a temporary thing. Are you testing two hours after eating? Well keep in touch . Nice being in this conversation.

I've thought all along that I wanted sleeve but as I've been researching and given the amount of weight I need to lose (200) I'm thinking bypass is the better decision. I have my consult June 16.