Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dermatologist/Endocrinologist question...

I so want to ask a Dermatologist or Endocrinologist a question, but I don't want to go through my doctor and have to do blood work then get a referral , Yad yada yada! If anybody can answer this bizarre question I'd sure be thankful. Here it goes....

If I already have really thin hair where you can see through to my scalp from either it being (Androgenic Alopecia) or a previous case of(Telogen Effluvium) from 9 yrs. ago and my hair never came back.....then I have the VSG surgery and I go through the Telogen Effluvium again, will my hair grow back? Not knowing if my hair will come back is keeping me from the surgery. I am beside myself with fear of permanently losing even MORE hair.

As it is I have to wear a hair piece, as a woman it is devastating. I so badly need to have surgery but then what, be a healthy, trim BALD woman.

I know it may sound vain, please no mean comments, I understand if you start with a nice full, thick head of hair then it's no biggy, can hardly notice, but when I have people staring at my head already when I go out, it's horribly embarrassing.

What should I do? Should I have the VSG or keep the hair I have left and stay obese and still unhappy. I'm so confused on what to do.

From what I understand the Hair loss is temporary. I've met people that have had fun with wigs for the 3-4 months the hair loss is significant. I would take the short-term hair loss over a life time of misery.

Good luck with your decision.

I totally feel for you!! BUT I think you need to go for it. Obesity has so many short and long term complications.

Most the beauties you see in hollywood and in the magazines are wearing hair extensions or wigs. Seriously.

Do everything you can to keep your hair but don't let it stop you from getting fit and healthy!! I have heard something to the effect the early days, first few months are essential to getting enough Protein and Vitamins and that once Hair loss starts you can't prevent it (it does come back) BUT before you have hair loss you can make sure you are getting all your nutrients to prevent it. I am only 3 weeks out and not having any issues AND I am super attached to my hair so I am trying to be REALLY good about protein and vits. Good luck!!

Alopecia has got to be hard, especially for women. I really think you should go see your dermatologist and determine if this is really what is going on with you. If so, no--the hair won't grow back. And surgery certainly doesn't help matters in the hair department. Have you spoken with your dermatologist/endocrinologist about a different professional hair piece/wig (often covered by insurance) for conditions such as those you mentioned? They are made of human hair and it would cut down on the stares.They look real! I know it is certainly not ideal, but the bottom line is this. WLS will save your life. If you are healthy now, it is temporary. Better to be healthy and bald than a corpse with hair. Sorry to be so blunt, but it is the truth.

And you will look so fabulous to boot! :)

what are your risks for remaining obese? list them all out on a sheet of paper. on the other side, write down the risks of having the surgery. compare the lists and then see if you can decide which risks you are willing to take.

you can also lose wight other ways... drastic weight loss any way can make your hair fall out. but exercise and diet are usually less drastic, so its likely losing weight this way will not make your hair fall out. you can do a medically supervised diet and work with a personal trainer as an option. maybe try this first and see how it goes. that way you can avoid all the risks as much as possible.

First -- I'm sorry you're already facing hair loss challenges and having a hard time making this decision. It really does come down to how much your weight is impacting you and how much you need to change. You didn't post stats, so we can't tell your BMI or how much you need to lose and you didn't say if you had other comorbidities (diabetes, high blood pressure, etc.).

If it were me and I was a lower BMI with less complications, I might try another method of weight loss first (doctor supervised). But, like someone else posted, all weight loss can trigger Hair loss. If I were having complications due to my weight, I would definitely consider the surgery and start making some plans and decisions about how to deal with the hair loss. There are some drugs for alopecia that might help and it sounds like you already have some coping strategies for how to deal with the hair issue.

Overall -- you're the only one that knows you situation, how much your weight is impacting you and how much the hair loss affects you. So you're the only one that can make your decision. But, if you do decide to go ahead with the surgery, you'll find lots of support here.

Best wishes!

Here are my stats.. 301lbs HW 283CW 5ft 4 inch

sleep apnea size 26-28 47 yrs old

I love all of each one if your comments

And I like the honesty

I have 3 boys also

Ages 9, 12 , 15 that I want to be around for

I've been dieting for many yrs and can never keep

The weight off when I lose

I need to lose 140lbs roughly

I will do what " teachamy" suggested

And write down on paper the risks of staying obese and surgery

I keep telling myself I'll just lose the weight myself, I'll try again, but I know my insatiable hunger always wins in the end !

Thank you , all of you :)

I have thought about this for a while now. About 20 years ago I had a perm on my hair at JC Penney's. The hairdresser burned my hair to a crisp, the perm rods were falling out with my hair still attached. She covered by teasing my hair, keeping me from looking in a mirror, etc. Told me not to was it for 4 days and when I did and realized the sheer volume of hair that was broken off went back to the store. There were some "emergency" treatments that were tried, etc ... long story made short, I am still missing probably 60% of the hair on top of my head (the back grew back, sides increased to about 50%). I was told it would come back with time, after about 5-6 years, went to a different dermatologist who told me it would never be back.

Anyway, I know going in that much Hair loss and I will be totally bald on the top of my head. I will be very careful in getting in what I need as far as Vitamins, Proteins, etc. and know the possibility exists that I will be buying a hairpiece or cut my hair really short and get some wigs. I am doing this surgery to give myself longer than 7 years of life expectancy I have left ... good luck in your decision. Oh, btw, I'm 58 years young.

Edited by SusinMichigan

Dear Susan, I'm so sorry you went through that, what an aweful thing to happen . It sounds like you are going to be brave and go for it and I think that's great! I am trying so hard to muster up some guts and also be brave and get healthy regardless of my hair. I'm almost done with all my preops and need to lose 4 more lbs to be at the 10 lb loss they require. Do you have a date if surgery yet?

Hi A New Start ... I have learned through time to prioritize my life, and this wls is a priority! I have a surgery date of July 1. Everything pre op is done and has been for about a month now. I'm just sitting and waiting for the 17 of June to start the pre op diet and in the meantime, have given up sugar, lost a little weight, working on doing a little fix on my knees (injections for now rather than knee replacement), trying to eat primarily low carb like my husband, but know I can still have something I really love short term with rare occasion.

Good luck with your 4 pounds ... you can do that! It'll be exciting for you when you get your date. Good luck!

Hi Susinmichigan... You are right to prioritize , that's a good way to look at it. I'm glad to hear you are doing so well, keep up the positive attitude, I will keep trying also. Thank you

@a new begining Do you have an update about you hair and WLS? I recently received my approval for surgery. I also spoke with a dermatologist today and was diagnosed with Androgentic Alopecia. He stated my hair would grow back after it fell out around the 3-4 month mark and stated more than once it was just temporary. He said for my hair now, there are three options I can try together: Men's Rogaine (at least 2 times a day, 3 times a day even better), birth control pills, and Spironolactone. He said these would need to be taken long term to achieve the best results for my hair. I'd love to know an update about your hair and your decision on surgery!