Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I will be traveling for about 2 weeks to DisneyWorld. I need any tips on dining at Disney (I have the quick service dining plan...it is free so I'm not concerned with throwing stuff away) and also on getting all my Protein in. I usually do premier drinks but they are too heavy to pack. I will be 5 months out of surgery during the trip.

For packing in your day bag, Quest Bars are great. I can only eat half of one at a time.

For planning your food while in WDW http://allears.net/dining/menu/ is my go to site.

Beef Jerky and 1 oz nut packs are easy to carry. For meals, pretty much any sandwich will be fine and every place has them, just don't eat the bread. I like to roll up my sandwich filling in the lettuce (if there is lettuce on the sandwich). I bet if you asked for the sandwich "protein style" in a lettuce wrap instead of on bread, they would be happy to accommodate. Have fun!

I am going to Disney world about 5 months out as well. Great suggestions above! My plan was to pack Protein Bars, jerkey, nuts, and berries. I would also do a balanced Protein Shake in the am everyday for Breakfast to get the extra vit/min and fluids before starting the day. They have lots of food choices with grilled CHx and or turkey ... I'd do like above and remove the bread.< /p>

Have you thought about ordering some Premier Protein and having it shipped to your hotel? I'm not sure where you're staying. I know on the Disney property there is a grocery delivery service we've ordered from in the past (gardengrocer dot com). You can order a variety of foods. We've ordered healthy Snacks and even cases of bottles Water to take into the parks. Much cheaper and easier to control your snacks.

I will be going to Disney too. I will be 3 1/2 months post op. Thankfully my mother lives in Florida and will be meeting us the first night for dinner. She is going to bring me a case of Premier Protein and a case of Water. I plan to have a Premier Protein every morning for breakfast. We do not have the dining plan. I have already cancelled all of the buffet meals we had planned. We will still do a few table services and I plan to get the highest protein appetizer I can find or a salad with grilled chicken. Hoping I can have salad at that time. At the quick service meals, some have salads, or I will do a sandwich and not eat the bread. Best of luck to you. We go to Disney every summer, I am looking forward to being a little lighter this year and not hiding behind my children for all of the pictures.

I'll be heading to Disney when I'm 8 weeks post-op. I'm also curious about how I'll deal with eating. I'm inclined to do shakes, only because the thought of having to wait before drinking in that hot weather sounds unbearable. But I'm eager to hear how others do! Please post after your return.

Thanks,

Jenny

1) If you search on disboards.com, there a loads of people who have traveled after bariatric surgery and have good tips.

2) allears.net has menus for every restaurant (counter service or not) that can help you plan where some good choices are for you. I think they (and maybe disneyfoodblog.com) have sections on lo-carb and south beach diets that would be helpful as well!

3) Some ideas off the top of my head for each park:

Animal kingdom: Flame Tree BBQ has a 1/2 chicken meal or chicken salad

Magic Kingdom: Columbia Harbor House has a salmon entree with couscous and broccoli. Also a really good tuna sandwich if you don't eat the bread

Epcot: Tangerine Cafe has a chicken or lamb shwarma plate with hummus that is pretty good. There's a ton of crazy healthy options at the Sunshine Seasons food court

Hollywood Studios: I hate eating in this park, not a ton of options. The sandwiches at the Starring Rolls Cafe are good, if you picked them apart. Read through the menus and see what you can find.

We go fairly often to either Disneyland or WDW, but our next trip isn't until February. I hope you have an awesome time!

Not sure if you are gone already, but I just saw your post. I totally agree with MelBrooks' post above. There are some good healthy counter options. My favorites at WDW are Tangierine Cafe (in Morocco at Epcot) and Sunshine Seasons (in The Land at Epcot). Delicious and healthy food!

I also agree with MelBrooks that Hollywood Studios does not have many good options. The best healthy option we found was the 1/2 chicken meal at Fairfax Fare.

Thanks, everyone. Not going until end of summer so I am still checking out the sites and info recommended. Yes, I do recall Hollywood Studios not having great choices, thinking back, we always got burgers. I always had the mind set of being on vacation was splurge time and didn't watch what I ate. The dining plan comes with dessert included 2x a day plus we would always do a pastry for breakfast. No more!!! I'm sure I will include a few treats but in general I want to make smart choices. I've been trying out powdered Protein coffee mixes that I can mix with the hot Water at the hotel for breakfast.

I am going the end of August too! I was sleeved on April 30th and was wondering how I was gonna make it thru this trip! My husband and daughter will get the dining plan and I will either pack my own or order a healthy appetizer.

I am going the end of August too! I was sleeved on April 30th and was wondering how I was gonna make it thru this trip! My husband and daughter will get the dining plan and I will either pack my own or order a healthy appetizer.

Disney has a rule that everyone in the room must be on the plan, or no one can have it. :( I tried to just add my hubby and daughter and was told nope, can't be done.

We love the food at colombia harbor house in Magic Kingdom, as well as Cosmic Rays grilled chicken salad. Pecos Bills also has really good burgers and wraps, and they are plenty large enough to share. I also really like the hotdogs at Casey's. I take it off the bun, and dip it in the cheese sauce that is on the toppings bar, I also have to have a bit of saurkraut.

At Animal Kingdom I agree Flame Tree is a great option, as is Yak and Yeti's to go counter. I had shrimp stirfry and hubby had chicken stirfry. I simply skipped the rice.

Epcot, you have a ton of fun tasty options eating around World Showcase, I LOVE the food and wine festival simply because the portions are just right for me. We really like Beirgarten (germany), and Rose and Crown (the UK). Rose and Crown has a take out window as well, it's listed as a fish and chip's place. I just eat the fish, with the breading pulled off. And Sunshine Seasons is really good, they have a kids meal that is a chick leg or wing, and a veggies or bag of apples and a drink. I take the apples and eat them later in the day.

For Hollywood Studio's I like the chicken cesar salad at pizza Planet, they have the best turkey legs there too.

And just for the record, you can show your card from your surgeon and eat at the kids price at the buffets. Still like $15-$20 but cheaper than the $35-$40 for adults. And all of the quick service places list only meals on their menu boards, but you can order anything ala carte. I don't care for the fries in Disney, so I either get apple slices, or sub another veggie, or just order the Protein without bread ala carte. In some cases it's not much more to get the meal, and then have apples for later, so that's always worth looking at as well.

Have fun, that really is the most magical place on earth!

Great post. I will be going to WDW later this year. I hope to have my surgery in July, still waiting to hear from insurance. I was wondering what dining would be like. I'm glad that they honor the card we get from our surgeons. It will be so nice to be able to fit in all the rides without worrying or worse, the seat belt not fitting. Good luck everyone.

Pelican lady, I've read quite a few Threads on disboards and looks like they don't generally honor the card from surgeons. I would call the individual restaurant and ask to be sure if you are really counting on it. I have heard of a character dining place that just charged an entertainment fee if you are going with your family but not eating. It is a case by case basis and they don't have to honor it. My fingers are crossed though!

Deanask8te, everyone in a Disney room must be on the same dining plan or none at all. We are going the first of September so it is free dining for us.