Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications. Pulmonary Embolism, anyone?

I had surgery on 4/15 and was progressing very well. Back at work, keeping active, losing lbs and enjoying life. Exactly 2 weeks post op I woke up, made my way to the bathroom, sneezed, and felt a searing pain in my right lung. I went to the ER where I was diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pulmonary-embolism/basics/definition/con-20022849 Scary and painful! The reality is, a PE can be fatal. I spent 3 days in the hospital in extreme pain.

I don't know exactly what caused the clots to develop. I do know that the nurse put the squeezy boots on me but never turned them on. She also blew out my vein when flushing my IV. I also binge watched 2 seasons of House of Cards during my recovery. However, I did make sure to get up at least every two hours and take a walk. Who knows.

Did anyone else have a complication like this despite keeping active?

My friend was hospitalized 2 1/2 weeks after surgery for the same thing. I plan on wearing compression stockings at night for about six weeks to be on the safe side.

Did anyone else have a complication like this despite keeping active?

I didn't have a PE complications, but thanks for posting this thread. Even though they go over the risks for PE and tell us all about the steps to help prevent it........most tend to take it with a grain of salt figuring it'll never happen.

I hope your doing better now. Let's hope the rest of your recovery is smoother. ;)

Were any of you taking lovenox prior to surgery? I only ask as I am currently on this therapy due to my history of blood clots. My surgery is tomorrow so I just want to make sure all is covered. Good luck on your recovery.

My friend wasn't, but I would give them to myself after surgery if my Dr. will give them to me. I'm trying to take care of myself to the best of my knowledge, that's why I'm getting compression stockings to wear at night!

Were any of you taking lovenox prior to surgery? I only ask as I am currently on this therapy due to my history of blood clots. My surgery is tomorrow so I just want to make sure all is covered. Good luck on your recovery.

I was given two separate lovonox shots within the first 24 hours after surgery.

Edited by MrDel

My friend was hospitalized 2 1/2 weeks after surgery for the same thing. I plan on wearing compression stockings at night for about six weeks to be on the safe side.

Make sure you ask your Dr. about the compression stockings. While I was in the hospital the doc told me that compression stockings can actually cause clots.

My friend wasn't, but I would give them to myself after surgery if my Dr. will give them to me. I'm trying to take care of myself to the best of my knowledge, that's why I'm getting compression stockings to wear at night!

Be careful with sleeping with the compression socks. Please ask your doctors advice before doing that.

I was given two separate lovonox shots within the first 24 hours after surgery.

Thanks for the info Mr. Del! I hope you are feeling much better.

I will, but that's what compression stockings are for...as soon as my friend was admitted for the blood clot on her lung they put the stockings on her as soon as she got there. That's news to me, but I will ask because I'm not a Dr. Thanks

I'm in the UK, and had my op done under the NHS - National Health Scheme. I was given the compression socks to put on immediately afterwards (ok, they were put on for me!) and I was told to wear them at all times once I was home too, which I did.

This thread has struck a cord with me, as My mum had a PE after an op, and later died with it..

Take care all, and do all you can to avoid this.