Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre-op Diet Question..Why only Bariatic Advantage?

My surgery is on May 9th. My doctor allows me Bariatic Advantage shakes 4-5 times a day with fruits blended in, sugarfree Popsicles & Jello.

I had to pick up 2 big packets of Bariatic Advantage from the office for my pre-op diet which I did.

I was able to follow the diet for 4-5 days but then started hating the taste of vanilla & chocolate BA. Since then, I have still followed all the rules but changed a couple of things:

- Changed BA to GNC unflavored. The nutrition is the same. If anything, GNC is lower on calories and carb.

- Also have one powders? utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken Flavored Soup a day.

Other than that I have followed all the rules and lost 13 lbs. :)

This morning, I got a call from my doc's office to confirm that I was following my BA diet. I told them I was. But now I feel like I lied.

The thing is that if I had continued the BA, I would not have been able to continue just because I hated the taste and felt like throwing up!

Now the questions: Why is my doc office insisting that I use Bariatic Advantage? Did anyone else have that experience? Did I make a mistake by substituting? Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

It depends on your doctor on why they are using BA exclusively. My doctor only used BA and I am in the NW burbs of Chicago. I thought it might be some kick-back scheme but it might just be a convenient way to stay consistent with previous results. It's all about shrinking your liver and helping you lose a few pounds to make the surgery a little easier for your surgeon and safer. I did my 14 days on BA and hated it but I kept in mind it was for only 14 days. I haven't touched the stuff since. It sounds like you are doing well, keep up the good work.

I too find it interesting that some Docs specify one brand over the other, but as long as the nutrition lines up, it is shake or liquid based and you are losing, then why the difference? My Doc sells BA but never said I had to buy it, they gave me a per shake nutritional guideline to follow and said have at it! They even listed a few brands, like Premier at costco. ..

CubsWinCubsWin I think we may have the same surgery center. My surgeon is from Kane Surgery Center in Hoffman Estates!

CubsWinCubsWin I think we may have the same surgery center. My surgeon is from Kane Surgery Center in Hoffman Estates!

You are correct. They are some great folks up there. It seems odd but it's probably because they are a BlueCross/BlueShield Center of Excellence they are required to have very standard operating procedures which may include prescribing everyone the same pre-op BA shakes. You're in good hands.

My Doc offeres BA, but says I can use other brands with the simular lableing. I have only tried the BA Soup and a orange smoothe. The soup wasnt bad, but the smoothie was not so good. In my opinion, all the protien shakes / smoothies or what ever they lable them are terrible.

I can have any high Protein Shakes under 200 cals and 25 grams of Protein or more. Just drink what you can tolerate! You'll be fine! If they ask why you havent ordered any more through them just tell them you've gone to their website and ordered some.

The list I had for the three-month diet had quite a variety of products that I could use for one daily Meal Replacement. When the ten day liver shrinking phase began I had to choose from: Carnation No Sugar Added, Atkins Advantage, Boost Glucose Controlled, and High Protein Slimfast. My Nutritionist said it was because of specific values of nutrients and minerals. Now that I am past four months post-op, I still have to have one shake a day to help reach 80 grams of Protein. For this it is totally my own choice, but it has to be a whey protein product.

Now the questions: Why is my doc office insisting that I use Bariatic Advantage? Should I be concerned?

Thanks!

It's driven by the same thing everything is.......money. Of course they get a kick back. I went to some of my Doc's monthly support groups and the Bariatric nurse would even push various supplements and Vitamins in the sessions.

It's a business and they try to squeeze every dime they can out of the process.

I buy and use only products that I like and find are necessary.(usually the cheapest) & (Which are none of the stuff my Doc pushes) If I don't need it, I don't use it. <_<

They made me buy it too (Kane Center). I have alternated a few different shakes. They have stayed within all of the other guidelines. Nobody called to ask me if I was drinking them though.

I too am seeing one of the Drs from the Kane Center in Hoffman Estates for my wls!! I am doing all my pre surgery appts right now and hopeing for a date for surgery very soon! Good luck to you and maybe we will cross paths sometime! Hope your on the mend from your surgery.

I too am seeing one of the Drs from the Kane Center in Hoffman Estates for my wls!! I am doing all my pre surgery appts right now and hopeing for a date for surgery very soon! Good luck to you and maybe we will cross paths sometime! Hope your on the mend quickly from your surgery.

Thank you for all the rsponses and advice. I had my surgery on May 9th, 14 pounds lighter than where i started. Doctor was very happy with my progress. I did find out why they insist on BA. As some people mentioned here, they are a BCBS center of excellence and have to deliver consistent results to maintain that status.

My surgeons office has certain brands that they prefer, but didn't try and push one. They do sell Chike powder in their office, but they specifically asked if I was planning in doing powder or ready made. When I said ready made and that I had tried a few and liked Premier Protein the dietician said that was great because that's their favorite to recommend to patients, though she have me a sheet with some other options listed.

I don't know if kick back is the right term for what they're doing, but if they're selling in the office then they purchased their stock at wholesale price and are selling to you at retail, the same way any other store would. It is a good money maker for them and is convenient for patients who don't care to do all the research on their options.

Thank you for all the rsponses and advice. I had my surgery on May 9th, 14 pounds lighter than where i started. Doctor was very happy with my progress. I did find out why they insist on BA. As some people mentioned here, they are a BCBS center of excellence and have to deliver consistent results to maintain that status.

I had mine on the 12th. I was pleasantly surprised losing 17 pounds! I gave my BA powder to someone else since I can't use it post-op. Not that I'd want to.