Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 days Post Op and Struggling

Hi all.

I was sleeved on 4/30. My surgeon had a surprise waiting for him in that I had a hernia at my diaphragm. He repaired it and also took out a very diseased gallbladder with a stone the size of a golf ball. Needless to say, my surgery lasted 5 hours. I stayed in the hospital 2 nights, just getting home today, since my oxygen level kept dropping. I'm having a lot of abdominal gas pain that is making it difficult for me to eat and drink more than 2 oz at a time. Even that is a struggle! I'm not getting in all the fluids and I am worried! I was taken off the I.V. around 1 p.m. Have gotten in about 10 oz. since then. Will that be enough to get me through until tomorrow? Praying I feel better and can get in more fluids in the morning.

Thanks for your help!

Hang in there! Even for those of us that didn't have your complications, getting the Water in took time. I couldn't drink 64 oz. for a few weeks. Watch for signs of dehydration, but relax and walk as much as you can.

There is literally no way I was getting in more than 10 or 15 oz the first few days and I had no complications and very little pain. Just do your best and try to take it easy on yourself so you can heal.

I'm three weeks out and in the last few days, suddenly liquids are so much easier and I can hit my goal plus more each day.

I also had a hiatal hernia repair along with my sleeve surgery. The first few days postop I barely had 16oz of Water and like 1-2oz of yogurt or liquids at a time. It took be almost 2 weeks to finally get 64oz of liquids in. So dont worry its normal what your going thru. I wish you a speedy recovery and best of luck on your wls journey.

I know you dont see it now but as the days progress it will get easier, trust me. Im 2 1/2 weeks postop and 19lbs down.

Hi kpay! Your post reminded me that I need to respond to your message! I had a surprise hernia repair too! I am now 2 weeks out and I'm yet to drink 64 oz a day. I had my 2 week check up yesterday, and my surgeon said as long as I was peeing 4 times a day, he said it was fine. It's hard to take in much of anything in the beginning! Just remember this stage is short lived. My recovery has been really easy and I'm crossing my fingers your recovery is similar.

Edited by Bluesea71

Thanks everyone. Feeling a tiny bit better today. My doctor prescribed Simethicone and I'm finally getting a little relief from that. Taking it one day, one hour at a time at this point.

walk, walk, walk! the more you walk the better you will feel. it's not what i wanted to hear and i'm certain it's not what you want to hear. however, it's simply the truth. my surgery was 3/10 and i still don't always get all of my Water in. i'm taking it one sip at a time. i feel really good though and an down 20 lbs., after a month stall! hang in there, it will get easier.

Happy Losing,

Mississippi Girl!

Regrets Regrets. I can't get my fluids in at all day 3 post op

walk, walk, walk! the more you walk the better you will feel. it's not what i wanted to hear and i'm certain it's not what you want to hear. however, it's simply the truth. my surgery was 3/10 and i still don't always get all of my Water in. i'm taking it one sip at a time. i feel really good though and an down 20 lbs., after a month stall! hang in there, it will get easier. Happy Losing, Mississippi Girl!

Thanks! I've actually been walking a lot. It does help!

Got in 4 oz. of broth for Breakfast this morning and already walked twice. Getting a bit easier, thank you, God!

My hero! I'm getting a little more fluids in I think I might walk outside today.

My hero! I'm getting a little more fluids in I think I might walk outside today.

They were right, it does get a little easier every day. Last night was rough, though! Can't seem to get comfortable enough to stay asleep.