Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

GREAT NEWS STEF!!!! I am glad it all worked out and you are back on the fills!! And a weight loss to boot!

I will check out the carb cycling this weekend. I am taking my son back to the oral surgeon for a recheck, he had his wisdom teeth pulled on Tuesday. I am tired, and he is 19!! Regardless of age, they still need their Mom!

well, TGIF...talk to you all later.

Congrats Steph!!!!!! :w00t:

I'm happy that all is well now :biggrin2:

Ok - I read the article on carb cycling and my head is spinning!!! :smile:

I doubt I get 50g of Protein a day, much less 1g per pound!!! YIKES!

We won't even talk about water! :thumbup:

I too am glad all is well with the band, Steph.

(I read the board here, I just don't post a lot anymore. Dunno why...?)

I agree, Wombat. I do well and average about 90 grams of protein a day and it is fairly common for me to have some days with well over 110 grams, but how to eat 300 grams a day? Especially with PBing on dry chicken breast and deli turkey! I found the Carb Cycling page and concept fascinating and it really does make a whole lot of sense. I'd love to try it sometime, but maybe once I get in the 200# range, I could maybe make that many grams of protein a day.

And yeah,. I'm REAL bad about water! I'm lucky to get 6 glasses a day. I stink, I know.

In all honesty and seriousness, I am wondering about the one gram per pound thing being universal. I will check it out. What got me wondering was FaithMD. Like I said, those Protein recommendations are usually spouted by bodybuilders and elite athletes. Personally, I KNOW that they look into this more than most others. And I hate to say it for fear of lynching, but lapband docs are likely at the bottom of the list of folks giving correct protein recommendations. They usually don't even meet government recommendations, which are lame. (Did you know that all RDA's are based on a sedentary male, about 5'8", 140# from almost 40 or 50 years ago? That's ridiculous.)

But I digress...what I'm wondering is if it wouldn't be more accurate to say one gram of protein per lean pound of body mass? I may be way off base, but will be researching that. These folks who say one gram per pound are usually hovering at 5% body fat, for pete's sake! :thumbup:

excellent point, Stef. If one gram per pound of LEAN mass, I could almost see that. Keep us updated on what you find, will ya?

Okay...I gotta ask: What does "Red Green is my HERO" mean? LOL

Thanks for looking into this Stef!! That Protein requirement is too far out of my league. It also looks like a buttload of calories too!!! I am barely eating 600 calories right now - much less them being from good quality food. I just need something IN more than I'm caring about what it is. (it's not this bad all the time - before any one starts fussing at me :thumbup: )

You are our resident guru - what would we do without you??!?!!

FaithMD - I was thinking about you the other day. Glad to see you are still on here and doing so well!!!

Hi, everyone! It's great to read of everyone's achievements and you are all doing so great! Suzzzie, Happy Late Birthday!

I don't post as often now for several reasons: One being no internet at our new house and I'm swamped at work; Two is, I'm down. I'm STILL battling this MRSA Staph Infection at my main incision site. I've been going to a Wound Care Center for a month now and packing my incision twice daily.

I went to my Lapband Surgeon this afternoon for the first time during this go-round. He is scared we may have to remove the port and allow my body to heal and possibly put a port back in in a different location. I don't want to remove ANYTHING. I am hoping to get in to an Infectious Disease Doctor and hope they can get this healed without having to remove the Port and thereby negate the band and the progress I've made since last June.

I'm down; I want to bawl my eyes out; I want to dive head-first into a vat of chocolate; I want to be over with this infection and keep moving with the Lapband. I look at my positives: my cholesterol levels are straightening out on their own, I'm at the lowest weight my hubby's known me at, my BMI has gone down at least 10 points. I don't want to lose any of that.

Thanks for looking into this Stef!! That Protein requirement is too far out of my league. It also looks like a buttload of calories too!!! I am barely eating 600 calories right now - much less them being from good quality food. I just need something IN more than I'm caring about what it is. (it's not this bad all the time - before any one starts fussing at me :thumbup: )

You are our resident guru - what would we do without you??!?!!

FaithMD - I was thinking about you the other day. Glad to see you are still on here and doing so well!!!

Naw, that is not too much for you! Your ticker says 132 pounds. (Jeez I'm jealous of it, too.) So that would be 132 grams of protein a day. Let's say your body fat percentage is 25. That would leave your lean weight at 99. You could do 99 grams if you really tried, Gen!

Now if I am at 175 and have a body fat percentage of 25, my protein requirement would be 131. I can do that without blinking.

Oh and each gram of protein is 4 calories, so that isn't too much!

Hi, everyone! It's great to read of everyone's achievements and you are all doing so great! Suzzzie, Happy Late Birthday!

I don't post as often now for several reasons: One being no internet at our new house and I'm swamped at work; Two is, I'm down. I'm STILL battling this MRSA Staph Infection at my main incision site. I've been going to a Wound Care Center for a month now and packing my incision twice daily.

I went to my Lapband Surgeon this afternoon for the first time during this go-round. He is scared we may have to remove the port and allow my body to heal and possibly put a port back in in a different location. I don't want to remove ANYTHING. I am hoping to get in to an Infectious Disease Doctor and hope they can get this healed without having to remove the Port and thereby negate the band and the progress I've made since last June.

I'm down; I want to bawl my eyes out; I want to dive head-first into a vat of chocolate; I want to be over with this infection and keep moving with the Lapband. I look at my positives: my cholesterol levels are straightening out on their own, I'm at the lowest weight my hubby's known me at, my BMI has gone down at least 10 points. I don't want to lose any of that.

Ohh Beckie! I'm soooo sorry you are STILL having trouble!! I just can't help to think how EASILY that could have been me. YOu poor thing!!

Just keep your eye on the prize - you are so right to focus on your cholesterol and BMI going lower and lower! How amazing is that?!

Hopefully the ID doc will be able to help you. DO they have you bathing in hepa-cleanse or anything like that? It's an all over body anti-bug stuff... Can't recall the EXACT name. but something like that.

Oh, and you got to see our doc? The one who did our surgeries? Is he still HOT? Haha!!

Thanks for the belated Bday wishes!

Beckie - I am so sorry you are still have MRSA. It is called a super-bug for a reason darn it. An ID doc is definitely what you need.

I had a 1cc unfill on Wednesday. Doc said my pouch looked slightly distended, which could be the beginning of a slip. He basically accused me of keeping my band too tight this whole time, making it do the work, and that is how I have lost this much weight. If he had been my choice for a surgeon - I probably wouldn't have had the band - he is a typical arrogant SOB. He doesn't listen, assumes he knows what you are doing wrong, and never gives you a chance to finish your sentence. Hopefully this unfill and sticking with liquids, soft foods for awhile will do the trick and I won't have to see him again for a long time.

I hate being too tight and only having liquids, but of course he didn't let me explain that. I did ask for this last fill because I could eat too much - I can not explain why it tightened up again too much and of course he didn't bother to try to explain it, just I told you so. I am hoping it was distended because I had a bad episode of Pbing the night before I went. I was so hungry that I tried to eat a very soft small new potato. I went to bed about an hour later, then woke up choking. I now know what my husband felt like with his reflux before he lost weight! Not fun!

Sorry for the long post - I needed to vent about my arrogant doc!:thumbup:

I changed my goal on my ticker to the weight that will put me at a normal BMI. I don't know if I can get there, but it is something shoot for!

Okay...I gotta ask: What does "Red Green is my HERO" mean? LOL

I LOVE Red Green, he is a fictitious character from Canadian television. He's this guy who is the typical male with all the handy man tinkering (all with duct tape involved) and male bonding rituals. He runs a lodge (like the Moose) called the Possum Lodge and their motto is Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati which means "When all else fails, play dead" (like a possum). They say the "Man's Prayer" before each lodge meeting and it goes something like this:

I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to...I guess.

www.redgreen.com

It's a great show, they run it on PBS a lot.

Good morning gang. All that talk about Protein and body mass has my head spinning..LOL! I really haven't looked at it that closely and may be the reason my wl has slowed!

wombat...wow, your weight loss is great, you are reaching goal!! that is fantastic.

Beckie, sorry about your struggle, I hope it works out for you, I know that it must be hard.

Missy, your doc sounds difficult!! I have not seen mine since surgery a year ago, I see the PA and she is great. I asked for a flouro to just look at my pouch to ensure it is all ok in there! I have my tight moments more than I think I should, but also don't want an unfill if I don't need one. I go in June 3.

This weekend is the Marine Corp. Half Marathon in our area in VA. I read all the articles in the paper and know people running. I really wish I could run, and probably could if I put my mind to it. Do any of you run? this is the first Marine half and will be an annual event in our area!

Hi Everyone, my sister was banded by Dr. Bruno Dillemans in Belgium and she has had great results. When she booked her surgery she went through Direct Healthcare International but I have since heard that they are the most expensive group in the region and they no longer deal with Dr. Dillemans but some other unheard of surgeon in Antwerp. There is another company called Euro-Weight-Loss-Surgery.com and I have booked through them. They are partneres with Dr. Dillemans and as far as I could gather are the cheapest in Europe. This is just a little info incase there is anyone outh there starting the journey to their ideal weight.

bye for now!

Jo

Steph - thanks for the break down!! I am going to try to work towards 99g a day. I know I'm going to have to do some shakes to get there. I just can't eat enough to do that much meat.< /p>

Re: the 132 ... :confused_smile: I'm only 5'0" tall. My ideal weight range is between 95-125; that's why my goal is 120. I have to say that I've seen your pics and you look FANTASTIC!!! My tummy has seen better days, (along with my thighs and butt). I would kill for your tone tummy!! I don't know if I can exercise enough to make them look better. I have great muscle tone in my legs, but you can't really see it through the "fluff"

Thanks Janine - I'm trying. The blasted scale isn't moving right now so I need to do something different :thumbs_up:

HUGS to all the Junies!!

Gen (wombat)