Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Suzzzie - I agree with Faith - you are dieting and exercising, just like everyone else in the challenge, so unless the rules specifically state no surgery patients, I would go for. What city is the challenge for? Welcome back from vacation!

Liberty... It's being held through the Liberty Nutrition Center. I called the lady about it today, she said there were no restrictions... of course I didn't ask specifically about WLS. Lol. She said its $30 to enter, they meet every Tuesday evening to weigh and measure and they willh ave healthy Snacks and guest speakers. If you gain a pound during the week you have to add $1 to the 'pot' (well, $1 per pound gained!) and then if you miss a week then you add $5 the next time you come. Lol. I'm trying to get a few of my family members to join up too! I'm going to go sign up and pay tomorrow, then the challenge will start next Tues. I think it will be fun, even if I don't win! It will give me a chance to meet new people and maybe I can find a good exercise buddy or something.

OH - I forgot my very big NSV! I flew Southwest yesterday to Nashville. I buckled the belt, put the armrest down and put the tray table down. I can't tell you the last time I was able to do that!

Very Exciting!! I flew Southwest too, and the seatbelt fit me with a few inches to spare... whereas when I went to Vegas a few weeks pre-op I had to suck in my gut and still barely fastened the dang belt!! I'm not quite able to get the tray table down, but I wasn't far from it!! Its so neat when something that so many people take for granted FINALLY work for us too!!

Suzzzie......NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!:omg: We were going to meet! What happened?!? I can't believe I missed you!:)

:girl_hug:Toni

Ya know what?? I was so busy in the week or so before leaving that time just flew by! I was barely packed before I had to leave for the airport!! Maybe we can meet up next time? I think I'll try to get down there for New Years or maybe sometime in Feb. or March!!

You are about my age...remember the show "Secret Squirrel"? LOL With his sidekick, Morocco Mole? It just "took me back", is all. Here is a video clip that might jog your memory:

Secret Squirrel TV Show

Secret Squirrel is not ringing a bell.....but it sure is cute!!!!! Thanks for cluein' me in!!!! :bounce:

Sheila - congrats on the BP medicine. Keep up the good work. Good Luck with the seat belt!

Suzzzie - thanks for the info. I am in Belton - I wish they would do something like that! Sounds fun and a great way to make new friends.

Toni - glad to see you are still here with us. We miss your daily posts ;-).

OK, serious question for you all...

First I will say that I've lost 8 pounds in just under 2 weeks... which I LOVE but... Sigh... do you think I am over-filled? Here's the issue:

I do fine with things like nuts, chips, Beans, etc... but when it comes to meat like chicken, pork, turkey, beef... etc... I can take about 3 bites and I get really light headed and feel a slight waver of nausea. I've not thrown up, but ran to the bathroom a few time to only end up burping and then having the hiccups for a while. My chest feels really really tight, my eyes Water and turn red... OK, I think I know the answer... Lol. But dang!! I don't want to go in for an unfill!

This is what I've eaten today:

3 bites of pulled pork (from a BBQ sandwich)

4 bites of chicken

8 Doritos

1 mini chocolate bar (the bite size ones)

1/2 cup baked beans

Thats been about the sum of my food for the past 2 weeks... some days I've eaten less...

I want to 'tough it out' until my appointment on the 12th, but I don't think I can deal with this.

Oh yeah, I haven't been hungry hardly at all, only eating cause I know I HAVE to - thats a totally new experience for me! Also, water kinda hurts, I have to sip it very slowly. My fill didn't start out this tight, it just got worse over the past week...

I have 7cc in a 10cc band.

what do you all think?

you could blame bite size for the meat BUT when Water kinda hurts and you have to sip - I would say you need a little unfill. That is what drove me to my unfill. Everything I drank hurt and I couldn't even think about anything solid. This was right after fill, but I have heard it can take a little while to tighten up. They took 1cc out at the time, but on my next fill I ended up with more than that back in and have been fine. Weird how that works. Maybe they could just take .5 out and you would be fine.

Yeah, I tried to blame bite size too... but OMG, I've never taken such tiny nibbles in my life! Its crazy.

The weird thing in, that after I go through the whole nausea/burping/hiccup routine, I can sometimes get a few more bites in without incident... but usually by then I'm so frustrated that that is the last thing I even want to try!

Also, along with the nausea feeling, I also will occasionally feel light headed, almost like I'm going to pass out... Its kinda scary.

Yeah, I tried to blame bite size too... but OMG, I've never taken such tiny nibbles in my life! Its crazy.

The weird thing in, that after I go through the whole nausea/burping/hiccup routine, I can sometimes get a few more bites in without incident... but usually by then I'm so frustrated that that is the last thing I even want to try!

Also, along with the nausea feeling, I also will occasionally feel light headed, almost like I'm going to pass out... Its kinda scary.

That doesn't sound good at all, Suzzzie. The Water is what worries me...you HAVE to drink lots of Water. As far as the food goes, keep taking teeny bites and if it's tolerable, as the weight comes off, it should loosen up as I understand it. If it hurts to drink water, though, you likely need a tad removed. I know what you mean about wanting to stick it out...I stuck it out before, and it did loosen up. But I didn't have any trouble with water. That part is worrisome. Let us know what you decide. Have you called your doc?

Suzzie, based on what you're saying, I think *you would feel more comfortable if you had a tiny bit taken out. It's best to get in 3 really good solid meals a day and nothing else except fluids (no calories). If you can't do that, you are overfilled. The weight you have lost may be from dehydration. I hate to tell you that, but it happened to me. I thought I lost weight and then had my unfill, and oops....back to square one. I still feel pretty tight and have to chew a lot and eat slowly, and open up my band with liquids before I eat. Sometimes my band won't let me eat at all. Breakfast is the hardest. I have no idea what to eat for breakfast and I'm so tired of Protein Drinks, yogurt and cottage cheese.< /p>

What a gorgeous family Stef. Loved the picture of the dogs on the bed.

MJ, I'm glad you found out what's wrong. Your poor hub! The seatbelt thing is so awesome.

Sheila - that's a significant non-scale victory. How good you

must feel!

I got a 4th fill today. 0.5ml put in. Hello restriction! Where have you been? It was great not to be able to finish lunch and I wasn't obsessed with snacking/planning to snack all day. I just know it'll wear off a bit after a week or so *sigh*.

I agree with others Suzzie, if drinking Water hurts (though you're only sipping, not gulping I hope), then you're over-filled.

suzzzie I am not where you are, but I agree with the given advice, if you can't drink, you should call your doc. Maybe just a .5cc unfill will do the trick. I can't always eat meat either, I have to put sauce of some kind on it to make it moist. Try cottage cheese, cheese, and other soft Proteins, quiches.

faith and suzzzie I don't think you are cheating at all if you enter a contest. The band helps you stop eating some things, but like any other diet you have to make good choices or you gain. I don't see it being any different GO FOR IT!!

Sheila and missy thanks about my doc. I did go to a new doc yesterday, she was great. when she was asking me my med history, I told her I was banded in June. She was excited and asked how much I lost. that was it. my old doc is a goner for good!! She gave me a script for an enhaler which I will use when I go to the gym. sheila great about the high blood pressure meds!! I am hoping the enhaler is short term as well. Even though I lost wiehgt, I am not there yet, but will.

insub great fill!!

toni great to hear from you!!!

Water: I can drink it, it's just that the first few sips kinda lump up in my throat and I have to wait a minute for them to go down. Lol. All liquids ar ethis way, though thicker liquids like a Protein Shake go down easier for some reason. I am still drinking about a gallon a day, so I doubt I'm dehydrated. I'm a BIG Water drinker!! I just suffer through the pain. And I like the restriction that I have right now cause I can only tolerate a few bites of even the BAD stuff!! I had Cold Stone ice cream on Tuesday night, only ate about 5 or 6 bites and I was giving the rest away to a friend I was with! Lol. NEVER have I given away ice cream!!

I know, I know... I need to call for an unfill. But it would be Wednesday before I could get it done anyway... I'll keep you posted.

Really, I'm hoping that if I take it easy and quit trying to force things through my band that maybe it'll be OK. Like, it just needs a break or something? Lol.

Suzzzie - what you describe is were I am right now except for the Water. I consider this my sweet spot. I can NOT overeat anything which is just what I wanted. I don't have the pause with liquids though, I can gulp(mostly), but I try not to. Nothing hurts, unless I take a big bite or forget to stop between bites, which I do often! Like you unless it is something I really really want to eat, I just give up and quit eating. I am loving it, but frustrated when I push myself too far. I have said to myself more than once the past couple of weeks - you just had to take another bite, you couldn't just leave it. I hope eventually the want to eat will turn to strictly a need and I will just stop.

Rhonda - what about really thin oatmeal, grits, or cream of wheat? That might give you some change in taste - I know they add some carbs, but you don't have to eat a whole serving. My favorite is oatmeal with Peanut Butter melted in it. There is no way I could live on Protein Drinks, I haven't had one since I went off liquids post-op. My surgeon says lean solid Proteins, no need to supplement if you are eating 3 meals a day, so I try to do that. We hope to make the nutritionist meeting some time in the near future, for further advice.

Happy Thursday everyone!

Just wanted to introduce myself. I've been hanging out here for awhile but just now saw the June Bandsters. I started working towards getting my band in August 2005 but insurance wasn't paying for it then. I hung on and insurance finally covered for me and my surgery was June 11th. I've lost 28 pounds since then most of that was from the first 6 weeks of liquids diet. I had my second fill Wednesday and I'm hoping to have better restriction and hopefully the weight will start coming off better. I haven't started regular exercise and need to find the time to do so. It's hard with 3 children, ages 11 and under. My husband works odd hours and that makes it tougher but I've got to stop the excuses and make time for myself. Anyway, I love my band and I think it is going to be the best tool for me. I hope to make some good friends here and be supportive for you all as well.

Welcome Mellie - glad you finally found us! We are a supportive bunch and always glad to have new friends.

Very quiet at the moment though! Where is everyone?

Hello Mellie and welcome. I understand what you mean by finding the time. I have been off for the last two weeks. I'm implementing a new program on Monday which just so happens to be the first day of the month. My problem it's time to weight lift and I don't quite knowhow to do that. I have weights at home since I don't have time to attend a gym. I also have that large ball to workout with as well. But Mellie how I got where I am is pushing through. If I had to get up earlier I do. I had a family forum and explained to everyone about mine and their lifestyle change and how it would affect the entore family. So feel that it is not childrens business but I strongly disagree. Some day they will have families of their own and can see now the sacrifice they had to make in order to help mother get to a healthy weight so that they will prevent it from happening to them, before it starts. Didn't mean to run with this thread, however, I do feel that it is important in this journey to include our spouse and children to be successful.