Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Welcome, Mellie!

ca7cfc981336b388cbef9d495c05ff7c.gif

I understand about how hard it is to find time for excercise. Been there, done that. But I can't stress enough how it will transform your life and your entire family's life for the better! I have never been athletic, or weight conscious, or really anything that would ever make me sweat. (Well, maybe just ONE activity! LOL :)) I started working out diligently sometime around the end of July or so (can't recall) and absolutely DESPISED it, but now I love it and feel so much better as a result.

I wish you the BEST of luck in your journey and look forward to getting to know you here!

Nice to meet you Mellie! I'm glad you found our group. I'm sure your kids *are exercise! LOL I know it's hard to find time for you, but the band *is about you. You've made a step in the right direction just getting it. Don't beat yourself up, it's a process, and you'll get there.

SNOWBALLS

You know...those pink coconutty marshmallow things from Hostess that 99% of the population thinks is disgusting? I LOVE THEM! Saturdays are my "cheat days" to keep my metabolism guessing so I don't plateau again, and I bought some SNOWBALLS! I cannot wait till tomorrow!

How sad it that? LOL :help:

Thanks for all the encouragement. I got some therabands from the doctor on Wednesday and I am starting to use those some. I have to be consistent. I talked with my husband about how important it is to find the time for me to exercise and even tried to get him to do it with me. He told me to go ahead and order that elliptical machine I've been wanting but I've been thinking about how that money needs to go to bills. One thing is for sure, I really like the support in here and I'm going to start on my exercise tonight.

Ms, thanks for the Breakfast food ideas. I love steel cut oatmeal, but haven't thought about having it. I tend to stay away from the carbs because of high blood sugars, but I could have 1/2 cup of it.....without 1/2 & 1/2 and butter and brown sugar! Oh my!!

Mellie, one of the first things I did after surgery was to go get an eliptical machine. I absolutely love it. No more trips to the gym and I can use it any time I want. I get a Water bottle, put on my head phones and go kick it! I am up to the aerobic 2 level now and finally feeling like I'm getting in shape. The more muscle you have, the more fat you burn. I'm not quite at the point where I'm ready to weight train, but maybe soon. Your husband sounds like a good guy if he gave you the go-ahead!

Rhonda - LOL I know, I much prefer my oatmeal made with milk, but I even skip the skim milk and go for Water to save a few carbs. The Peanut Butter definitely helps the flavor, but does add some fat. Oh well - everything is a trade off! I can barely get 1/2 cup in so I figure I am doing okay.

Man do I hate this time of the month! I can't seem to get enough in to not be hungry. I am not even going to get on the scale for another week. I really wanted to hit the 70lbs lost by the end of the month, but I am afraid I am going to be stuck a few lbs away. (I was back up a couple of lbs this morning from my ticker, but I refuse to change it!)

Suzzzie - how goes the eating and drinking today??

Happy Friday everyone! Hope you have a great weekend!

Suzzzie - how goes the eating and drinking today??

Happy Friday everyone! Hope you have a great weekend!

I'm good today. For some reason thicker liquids go down easily, as long as I sip. I think maybe the Water just tries to flush down to quickly or something. I've eaten a yogurt, about 1/4 cup of pulled pork (from Tuesday! Lol!), 1/2 of a chicken breast (in reduced fat alfredo sauce to moisten it up!) 17 m&ms, a carnation instant Breakfast drink, 60+ oz water, 8oz of the V8 fusion (light)... I guess thats it.

I swear I will feel like I ate a LOT... like I pigged out, and really I've had very little. Its weird. I used to actually pig out and convince myself I didn't eat much. Lol!!

Does anyone else get the hiccups when they eat - when they are full? Cause, omgoodness! It's driving me crazy! - Also, I've never had heartburn before, now I get it all the time! Thank goodness I work in a hospital, I just go to the med room and get me some mylanta! Haha!!!

I hope everyone has a great weekend!

Hello to everyone i haven't been on here much but i'm glad to see everyone doing well.

i really need to vent though.

i started exercising 3 weeks ago 5 days a week for about 1hr 1/2 each day. i got a fill 2 weeks ago and lost 2 pounds due to 2 day liquid diet.

So with good restriction and exercising that much i thought heck yeah it will start dropping off but ooooo no it didn't i haven't lost anything in 2weeks.

yesterday i took off from the gym first time mind u in 3 weeks so i thought ok i'm going to be up those 2 pounds since i didn't exercise but no i lost another pound 1 pound i'm very happy to be down another pound but mad because the scale isn't moving the way i hoped it would exercising like that.

does anyone have and idea why the scale won't move. could it be lack of calories??? i don't count them but i can still eat just know where near as much.

Thanks for the ear.

Hello to everyone i haven't been on here much but i'm glad to see everyone doing well.

i really need to vent though.

i started exercising 3 weeks ago 5 days a week for about 1hr 1/2 each day. i got a fill 2 weeks ago and lost 2 pounds due to 2 day liquid diet.

So with good restriction and exercising that much i thought heck yeah it will start dropping off but ooooo no it didn't i haven't lost anything in 2weeks.

yesterday i took off from the gym first time mind u in 3 weeks so i thought ok i'm going to be up those 2 pounds since i didn't exercise but no i lost another pound 1 pound i'm very happy to be down another pound but mad because the scale isn't moving the way i hoped it would exercising like that.

does anyone have and idea why the scale won't move. could it be lack of calories??? i don't count them but i can still eat just know where near as much.

Thanks for the ear.

A RESOUNDING "YES"!

I believe I can tell you why. Now, mind you, I don't know what your workouts consist of, but I faced the same thing. Then I started measuring my body fat percentage. If I were to guess, I would say you are probably losing a lot of weight. It just won't start showing on the scale for several weeks. When you excercise like you are, you are losing fantastic amounts of body fat and replacing it with muscle. Muscle weighs more than fat. As you add more muscle, it starts to speed up your metabolism. THEN you will start seeing the scale move. If you aren't lifting weights already, I would make that suggestion. (As long as you are physically able, that is. Don't hurt yourself!) I have researched this a LOT, and it's paying off. I realized I was doing way more cardio than I needed and I needed to start lifting weights. About two weeks after I started lifting, muscle tone has gone through the roof and my body fat percentage is dropping like crazy. Now I am losing about three pounds a week and getting very toned.

Please do your own research and let me know what you discover. What I have learned is that 30 minutes of cardio (with an additional 5 minute cool down of the same excercise) is all you need. If it gets easy, increase resistance without increasing time. And alternate your cardio about every three weeks so your body doesn't settle into it and cause a plateau. As an example, do cycling for three weeks, then switch to elliptical for three weeks, then go back to cycling if you want or try something else new. There are so many options.

I also learned that lifting weights is the best way to speed up your metabolism, since it takes more energy to maintain muscle than it does fat. And never work the same muscle group two days in a row because muscle doesn't grow on the day you work out, it grows on the following rest day. What I do is lower body one day and upper body the next, with back and abs every day. Your back and abs can "take it" and need it for core strength. (Be very careful with your back, though.) I work out six days a week, so upper and lower body get worked three times every week.

It sounds like you are really serious about fitness...that is wonderful! I know I droned on here, but that really is just the tip of the iceberg! If you want more info, PM me and I'll give you my email address. I can send you tons of info. For that matter, you can get tons of great info on www.about.com in the "Healthy Living" section. I get lots of great ideas there to change up my workouts.

As far as calories go, I'm an extremist, and most people freak out when I tell them about my diet. So I may not be a good one to ask on that. (But it does work!) The thing is to not over do it, of course, and to mainly know what balance of calorie types you are putting in your body, and that it is the proper balance.

Stick with it! It will start paying off very soon! Congrats!

Whew! Go Stef! You're our very own exercise guru!! Haha. I wish you lived closer to me, I'd pay you to be my trainer!!!

So, this morning my scale says 333.8 (15 days ago at my fill I was 349!) I'm so excited about this, but worry that some of it might be muscle loss, cause I can't eat as much Protein as I should. :confused: I've been out of Protein Powder for a week, so I need to stop on my way home today and pick some more up!!

Did ya'll know that the V8 fusion (light!) goes down VERY WELL?!?! Not only is 8oz a full serving of fruit and veggies, but I can drink it almost like I used to!! That means big ... alomst gulps!! Seriously. I drank 2 glasses of it last night just for that reason! It felt good to drink fast again. Lol!!

I signed up for the weightloss challenge in my city that I was telling ya'll about the other day. Its hosted by the nutrition center - which is actually just a little Herbalife store. Lol. Of course you don't have to buy their stuff, but they do push it. I was in there and the guy was telling me about a guywho lost over 300 pounds just doing Herbalife... and gave me a pamphlet of people who all lost 100 lbs or more, while he handed it to me he said, "Here, this will be good for you." LIke I don't KNOW that I need to lose over 100 pounds? Haha. Oh well. I won't be buying the Herbalife stuff, cause it's very expensive, and I have a secret weapon already!! (LAP BAND!!)

OK, GOtta go to work!! I'm gonna be late!

Mellie, I too struggle with finding time to exercise. I work a full time job with an hour commute, 2 kids, and a husband. I have found that I can get up before my kids wake up and walk around our neighborhood. I try to do 30 minutes per day at least 5 days per week. It is usually dark out, but we live in a great neighborhood and it is pretty quiet, so I am not too worried. When it starts getting too cold I may have to move inside, but for now it works.

Stephanie, you are such an inspiration to all of us. I am so jealous. I have been thinking of stepping up my workouts. I think eventually just walking is not going to cut it and I will need to add in weight training and additional cardio. For now though, the walking/jogging will have to do due to time and money restrictions.

Juleeann - I agree with Stephanie about the body fat vs muscle information she provided. In the end the workouts will definitely pay off big time. The other thing is that when you work out you have a little swelling from exercising/tearing the muscles.

Suzzzie - hate to say this, but increased heartburn is a sign of being too tight.... If you aren't seeing your doctor soon, it wouldn't hurt a call to him.

Wow all that talk about exercise made me tired! ;-) Maybe some day I will get my butt in gear just to keep up with you guys.

I went back and looked at my post...I didn't realize just how long it was! Sorry...I really don't want to be annoying, but sometimes I succeed at being annoying anyhow if I'm really enthusiastic about something! (And I say "really" too much!) If it helps one person, though, it is worth it to me! I've always been an avid reader and learner, and tend to go gangbusters with whatever I set my mind to...but my heart is in the right place, trust me! I do understand, however, that everyone has their own path to walk and will not be in the same "place" in that walk as anyone else. I just wish to encourage. Love y'all, and I'll try to "calm down"! :)

Stefanie thank you so much for explaning that to me because i was starting to get really frustrated but it all make since now i will continue to work out i usually do 30elliptical 30treadmill 30weight lifting. but i'm going to research on that website you told me about and get a better routine. it's funny i would never in a million years would of considered me as somone that would go to a gym and work heck no i don't like to break a sweat could be the reason i ended up with wls but i really enjoy it now. its so wierd but fun (well except for the days i'm sore not so fun).

anyhow thank you so much for the encouragement and great tips.

conrgats to Suzzie you go girl that scale is on a downward spiral :clap2: