Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Juleeann - You are most welcome! Another thing about the balance of calories you consume...with the amount of excercise you are getting, you need TONS of Protein. Otherwise, your body will start looking to muscle to burn instead of fat. The USDA website cites 91 grams of protein a day as the minimum. (Which is why I can't understand all these docs saying "don't worry about protein", or recommend 40-60 grams. It's not enough! When you lose weight, you will be losing lean tissue instead of adipose tissue (fat)!) For someone who is working out five or more days a week, they recommend increasing that by 50%. That is TOUGH! Thank goodness I can tolerate Protein Drinks. (Those recommendations are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, of course, which I don't get anywhere near.) If you are restricting calories, then it is recommended that you consume 50% protein at a minimum, 30% fat at a maximum, and 20% carbs at a maximum. If you don't consume enough protein and work out that hard, you are going to lose lean tissue and be wasting your efforts, or at least minimizing them.

P.S. So much for "calming down", huh?

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum as Stef but I might as well tell you what I think. I'll put a disclaimer to obey your doctor at all times. I am definitely not a doctor. I just read about this issue all the time. It's a hobby of mine. Warning: rant ahead.

I think the recent trend the need to consume massive amounts of Protein is a myth funded by industry. Before I follow statistics and recommendations (even from doctors), I try to find out who funded the research that led to the recommendations. It is usually tied to the meat and dairy industries which are among the most powerful industries in the world and influence everything from government policy, doctors and even the food pyramid. PCRM >> Your Health >> Stop Childhood Obesity Now Rather than put my trust in the US Department of Agriculture (whose members receive massive donations from these industries), I look to organisations such as the World Health Organisation (WHO) or the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) for protein recommendations. They don't have a financial interest in pushing protein. The planet couldn't sustain itself if every human being ate 90g of animal and/or soy protein a day (think land use and climate change). Excess protein will contribute to heart and kidney problems as well as putting the body in an acidic state which it compensates for by leaching Calcium from the bones.

Good grief, I sound like Michael Moore. Anyway, you probably know that I'm a vegan so I will declare my bias right now. I'm not bagging the US either. Exactly the same thing happens in my country (Australia) and it's outrageous that my government releases diets under the auspices of a scientific organisation when it was actually mostly funded by the agribusiness. No wonder they recommended red meat 4 times a week for weight loss.

England seems a lot more responsible in comparison.

I am at the opposite end of the spectrum as Stef. I'll put a disclaimer to obey your doctor at all times.

I think the trend of massive Protein consumption is a myth funded by industries. Before I read statistics and recommendations (even from doctors), I look at who funded the research. It is usually tied to the meat and dairy industries which are among the most powerful industries in the world and influence everything from government policy, doctors and even the food pyramid. Rather than put my trust in the US Department of Agriculture , I look to organisations such as the World Health Organisation (WHO) or the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) for protein recommendations. They don't have a financial interest in pushing protein. The planet couldn't sustain itself if every human being at 90g of animal and/or soy protein a day.

Good grief, I sound like Michael Moore. Anyway, you probably know that I'm a vegan so I will declare my bias right now.

I do NOT count protein grams....and don't keep a food journal, etc... I'm sure I get much less protein than everyone on board. Oh well!

~Toni

Frankly, I have so much going on in my life that subtle changes to diet and exercise are what I'm looking for. I refuse to get OCD about it. Eating less and exercising more is good enough for me. LOL

I do not get the amount of protien that I probably should either. My nutritionist told me that I should try to get about 40 grams of protien. She said that with the amount of food I am able to eat, that it will not be feasable to get much more than the 40 grams.

I doubt I even get that much.

I have always said I could be a vegetarian. I do not really care for meat and never have.

I think for me, the important thing is to learn how to eat sensibly. If I could get my on 600 calories a day and stick with it, than I would not have had the surgery. I admire those of you who can do it, but I know it is not for me. I want to learn how to eat right, and not restrict myself from a normal diet.

I don't know if I am making sense or not, but hope you guys understand how I feel.

I just want to do this right. I don't want to fail on yet another diet.

Protein:

WhenI went to see the nutritionist she told me that based on my height and weight (which is more than all of you!) I should consume about 90gm of Protein a day. ANd my NP just says that I should eat protein, then fruits and veggies - but didn't really give me a number that I recall.

Basically, I can eat so little right now that I don't count ANYTHING. I'm happy if I get in my Water, and at least 2 cups of total food a day. I have been drinking my veggies and fruit in the form of light fruit juices, which I'm not supposed to do, but I can't eat them...

And my hair is falling out... I now take 3 chewable childrens Vitamins a day... one at each meal. I don't think they are absorbing well.

And today (I know, I whine alot, I'm sorry!) I saw a pizza commercial and I wanted it so bad! Not just the 3 bites I might have been able to manage, but like, the WHOLE thing. Lol. I totally miss binge eating. Please tell me I"m not the only one that wishes I could get a total unfill for just a few days so I could EAT again? haha.

INSUB - Your post got me thinking, and I went to researching again. I certainly don't want to make poor decisions with my body, nor perpetuate them to others. I really struggle to get my Protein in, and would prefer not to if my current info is incorrect.

I found this on the World Health Organization website, but I don't know the conversion ratios from kilograms to pounds. Do you know what 1 gram per kilogram of weight would convert to in pounds? I looked for a good converter on the net, but didn't see one.

It is evident that the recommended allowance for protein (NPU 0.8) for adult men and women is 1 g per kg body weight per person per day, which is in line with the first internationally recommended allowance for protein needs of human adults proposed by the League of Nations in 1936

Stefanie, I tried to figure it out also, but am more confused now than when I started. I ended up with a coversion chart that showed we needed over 1000 grams of protien a day. I hope to god that isn't right.

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeygirl viewpost.gif

Stefanie, I tried to figure it out also, but am more confused now than when I started. I ended up with a coversion chart that showed we needed over 1000 grams of protien a day. I hope to god that isn't right.

ME, TOO! eek.gifLOL

That would surely cause kidney failure at those levels!

I'm no expert. Just one of those distrustful-of-the-government conspiracy-theorists. Probably the majority of people would disagree with me.

I think some of you have a good point. To calculate needed Protein intake by body weight seems out of balance when you are only eating small volumes of food. You'd have to be eating almost all Protein to make the recommended amounts. Maybe a % of total food is the way to go. It is really challenging to get our recommended fruit and vegetable needs too with a band. If fact, it's impossible.

Following your doc's orders is likely best. Besides Stef, if you are losing weight, then keep doing what you're doing. I totally admire your dedication to exercise and reading your posts is one of the things that finally got me off my butt. I think exercise is the key to succeeding in this thing. We need to build lean muscle tissue and to do that, we need to fuel our bodies well. When we've lost all our weight biggrin1.gif we can perhaps re-look at everything to maintain. Until then, I guess we should make all our choices healthy ones since eating junk food wastes valuable stomach space we need for nutrition. As for protein, carbs, fruit, vegies and calories, I guess that's totally up to the individual.

WOW WE ARE OVER 200 POSTS!!!!:clap2:

Welcome Mellie!!! You have been given great advice regarding exercise. I agree about getting up early prior to the kids to exercise. Even if you only start with a 15 min walk and build up to an hour,you will feel so much better through out your day!

suzzzie Glad to hear you are doing great. I hear ya with the pizza. I hope I can always eat at least 1 slice. But the craving for more is there sometimes! GREAT weight loss:whoo:

stef and insub First, Stef you are the QUEEN of exercise and information!! your insight and ideas are great for everyone. I also agree with insub about her position too. I think that it is all up to the INDIVIDUAL AND ALL IN MODERATION!! What ever works for one may not work for the other, does not mean it is right or wrong! I don't count calories or keep a journal. I probably should journal, because it does help reflect what you eat. My NP said, Protein, vegies then fruit. However, I love salads and feel that it is so important to have the nutrition of green vegies.

Regarding lifting weights, I agree. Juleeann your frustrations have been mine at times. You have to get through those dry spots and know you are doing everything right, and when your body is ready to let it go, the weight will come off. I agree with Stef's suggestions on mixing it up and wieght lifting. My gym has this class that is a national program, Body Pump. You lift weights, with combinations of squates and lunges to music in a group class. I love it!

I am celebrating this weekend, I am down 3 lbs,,, to One..derland!! I only hope I can keep it there!! :clap2:

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend and the nice weather!!

Oh my goodness, JA9VA! You are hitting ONE-derland for the first time?!?!?

I'm so jealous of you! happy.gif

We are celebrating WITH you! It's Party Time!

b_a_s_01_3429_01_001.gifbirthday_cat_celebrate_lg_nwm.gifb_a_s_01_3429_01_001.gif

51.gif

(This is the ZOO known as June 07 Bandsters! LOL)

quote=insubordination: I'm no expert. Just one of those distrustful-of-the-government conspiracy-theorists. Probably the majority of people would disagree with me.

Naw, INSUB...I don't think you are conspiracy theorist at all!

First of all, discussion and differences make life interesting...how boring would life be if we all droned through life with the same thoughts and opinions?

And second of all...and most importantly...you research and think for yourself, forming your own opinions, which is AWESOME! More people should be that way. Unfortunately, that is why we have the government that we have in the US...few people inform themselves and get involved to make their voices heard. So we end up with a government supporting big business and private interests with deep pockets.

Keep rockin' INSUB!