Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello All I am new to this Forum... I had the gastric sleeve ATTEMPT in 2012. It was aborted due to an "enlarge liver". I was beyond upset when this happen...not to mention the 2 weeks it took to recuperate with NO PAIN MEDS!!!! It's something that is a constant reminder ...especially looking at my scars...

2014 and I want to retry to get the Gastric Sleeve... I currently weigh 220 / I'm 5'3 and my liver functions are :

ALT- 68 (range 2-40) * slightly high

AST-54 (range 2-35) * slightly high

ALK- 108 (range 20-125)

The same hospital that I had the surgery is looking over my info to see if it's possible. Did anyone have an enlarge liver and slightly elevated liver function and have the same issue?

I truly feel that this shouldn't stop me from having the surgery. My size isn't morbid, but since I have type 2 diabetes I want to have this surgery to have a better life!

I really want this surgery but the " enlarge liver" is preventing me....they said losing weight will help...but in order for me to do so the program needs to accept me first...if I lose weight before I wont qualify....

Does Anyone have a similar story that would like to share!!!

Yours truly!!!!

<p>Hello All I am new to this Forum... I had the gastric sleeve ATTEMPT in 2012. It was aborted due to an "enlarge liver". I was beyond upset when this happen...not to mention the 2 weeks it took to recuperate with NO PAIN MEDS!!!! It's something that is a constant reminder ...especially looking at my scars...</p> <p> </p> <p>2014 and I want to retry to get the Gastric Sleeve... I currently weigh 220 / I'm 5'3 and my liver functions are :</p> <p> </p> <p>ALT- 68 (range 2-40) * slightly high</p> <p>AST-54 (range 2-35) * slightly high</p> <p>ALK- 108 (range 20-125)</p> <p> </p> <p>The same hospital that I had the surgery is looking over my info to see if it's possible. Did anyone have an enlarge liver and slightly elevated liver function and have the same issue?</p> <p> </p> <p>I truly feel that this shouldn't stop me from having the surgery. My size isn't morbid, but since I have type 2 diabetes I want to have this surgery to have a better life!</p> <p> </p> <p>I really want this surgery but the " enlarge liver" is preventing me....they said losing weight will help...but in order for me to do so the program needs to accept me first...if I lose weight before I wont qualify....</p> <p> </p> <p>Does Anyone have a similar story that would like to share!!!</p> <p> </p> <p>Yours truly!!!!</p> <p> </p> <p> </p>

I had the exact same problem. I was in Virginia when I had my first surgery. They took me to the operating room and unfortunately they couldn't do it since my liver was enlarged. When I went to sacramento to see dr. Eslami in sacramento Slimlifesolutions.com he operated on me three months later and I got my sleeve. I think it all depends in surgeons experience. The only thing is I had to pay cash since my insurance didn't cover here in ca. I'm so happy with the surgery and so thankful to dr. Eslami. I was informed that having enlarge liver is common and happens in over weight patients. I would recommend dr. Eslami he's a great bariatric surgeon. I don't know where you live but you should check out their website.

Mary,

Love my new life

Find a more skilled surgeon.

I had Dr eslami too! He is great. I am on his web site I love him so much. We usually have enlarged livers from fatty liver. I had the 2 week liquid diet before surgery to help bring down the size before. It is my one year anniversary today! I have lost 135 lbs as of Jan. So hang in there the liver thing should not stop you. I had the type III thing too! Off all meds since Jan. My a1c as of this month 5.5 that is normal !

Thanks so much for replying!!!! I know you are right!! It all depends on the experience Surgeon....I'm trying 2 location and which ever agrees..than I will go to that center but next time I wont let a younger surgeon operate....lesson learned!!!

<p>Hello All I am new to this Forum... I had the gastric sleeve ATTEMPT in 2012. It was aborted due to an "enlarge liver". I was beyond upset when this happen...not to mention the 2 weeks it took to recuperate with NO PAIN MEDS!!!! It's something that is a constant reminder ...especially looking at my scars...</p> <p> </p> <p>2014 and I want to retry to get the Gastric Sleeve... I currently weigh 220 / I'm 5'3 and my liver functions are :</p> <p> </p> <p>ALT- 68 (range 2-40) * slightly high</p> <p>AST-54 (range 2-35) * slightly high</p> <p>ALK- 108 (range 20-125)</p> <p> </p> <p>The same hospital that I had the surgery is looking over my info to see if it's possible. Did anyone have an enlarge liver and slightly elevated liver function and have the same issue?</p> <p> </p> <p>I truly feel that this shouldn't stop me from having the surgery. My size isn't morbid, but since I have type 2 diabetes I want to have this surgery to have a better life!</p> <p> </p> <p>I really want this surgery but the " enlarge liver" is preventing me....they said losing weight will help...but in order for me to do so the program needs to accept me first...if I lose weight before I wont qualify....</p> <p> </p> <p>Does Anyone have a similar story that would like to share!!!</p> <p> </p> <p>Yours truly!!!!</p> <p> </p> <p> </p>

I had the exact same problem. I was in Virginia when I had my first surgery. They took me to the operating room and unfortunately they couldn't do it since my liver was enlarged. When I went to sacramento to see dr. Eslami in sacramento Slimlifesolutions.com he operated on me three months later and I got my sleeve. I think it all depends in surgeons experience. The only thing is I had to pay cash since my insurance didn't cover here in ca. I'm so happy with the surgery and so thankful to dr. Eslami. I was informed that having enlarge liver is common and happens in over weight patients. I would recommend dr. Eslami he's a great bariatric surgeon. I don't know where you live but you should check out their website.

Mary,
Love my new life

I had Dr eslami too! He is great. I am on his web site I love him so much. We usually have enlarged livers from fatty liver. I had the 2 week liquid diet before surgery to help bring down the size before. It is my one year anniversary today! I have lost 135 lbs as of Jan. So hang in there the liver thing should not stop you. I had the type III thing too! Off all meds since Jan. My a1c as of this month 5.5 that is normal !

Thanks @ Cejijou... I live in Boston... But I'm praying all goes right this time!!!

how much do you drink?

@ moonlitestarbrite...I drink probably 2 drinks once evrery 4 months... I'm not a drinker...Its more social drinker.. but my max is 2 drinks.< /p>

Why won't you qualify for the program if you lose weight? You are 100 lbs overweight...are you just right at their border for acceptance? I would think with the comorbidity of diabetes that you would still be able to lose weight and qualify. Clean eating and dropping sugar are probably your best chances of improving your liver numbers since you aren't a drinker. Hope it all works out for you.

Why won't you qualify for the program if you lose weight? You are 100 lbs overweight...are you just right at their border for acceptance? I would think with the comorbidity of diabetes that you would still be able to lose weight and qualify. Clean eating and dropping sugar are probably your best chances of improving your liver numbers since you aren't a drinker. Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks @ Sleeveless in seattle...I thought I had to meet with them first to start the process...but you are right..I will start! I will start then Adkins Diet...and I'm praying this works!!!

@ moonlitestarbrite...I drink probably 2 drinks once evrery 4 months... I'm not a drinker...Its more social drinker.. but my max is 2 drinks.

okay, i thought maybe your liver was enlarged because of drinking. do you eat a diet really high in fat? the liver has to work harder to digest fat than other foods. i was similar to you, 236#, 5'2". but my liver was not enlarged. people who eat lots of fast food frquently have enlarged livers and elevated enzymes.

generally just about ALL overweight people have enlarged or fatty liver.

when you find a new surgeon you may want to discuss doing the pre-op diet a little longer than normally prescribed-if it's one week, go two, if it's two go 2.5, etc...the main effect of the pre-op diet is melting fat stores out of your liver and 'shrinking' it.

that will help some, but like i said, if you are overweight, you have an enlarged liver. surgeons are generally prepared for that, and there is a surgical tool (looks sort of like captain hook's hand) that they can insert through one of the keyholes (the scope holes made during surgery) to hold your liver out of the way.

i too would look around

I believe it all depends on your doctor. My liver was enlarged and my doctor explained to me if I lose weight before the surgery I would have no problem. So before my surgery I lost about 14-15 pounds.

Thank you for the info!!

generally just about ALL overweight people have enlarged or fatty liver.

when you find a new surgeon you may want to discuss doing the pre-op diet a little longer than normally prescribed-if it's one week, go two, if it's two go 2.5, etc...the main effect of the pre-op diet is melting fat stores out of your liver and 'shrinking' it.

that will help some, but like i said, if you are overweight, you have an enlarged liver. surgeons are generally prepared for that, and there is a surgical tool (looks sort of like captain hook's hand) that they can insert through one of the keyholes (the scope holes made during surgery) to hold your liver out of the way.

i too would look around

Thanks for sharing!!!! Im praying this goes well for me and able to share my successful story!!!

I believe it all depends on your doctor. My liver was enlarged and my doctor explained to me if I lose weight before the surgery I would have no problem. So before my surgery I lost about 14-15 pounds.

Before pregnancy I started carb cycling and lost 35lbs without even exercising. Then went on vacation to Hawaii and surprise came back pregnant. At my 6 week check up my ob told me my liver was enlarged. Even being overweight before pregnancy I still did not have an enlarged Iiver. Everything that had worked pre pregnancy wouldn't take the weight off. Fatty livers go away with weight loss but they make it harder to lose weight. I started getting B12 shots and they had a special shot called lipo-b and that was supposed to help with fat around the liver. With the shots and watching my cals I dropped 80lbs on my own but still have 85 to go to goal weight. I'm 4 weeks post op sleeve and down 25.1 lbs. I had heard horror stories of being opened up and closed and was super nervous about that possibility. Good luck and I hope you find the right surgeon!