Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost to 3 weeks post op!

Hello everyone!! I was banded April 11, 2014! I'm almost to my 3rd week! (Into solids!!) I have lost 25pounds and feeling great!! I was weighing myself everyday and when I went in to get my stapels removed my doctor scolded me for it ????.. So my hubby took away the scale! So I can only weigh myself every two weeks now. Haha! I joined because I new I would need support from other banders.. We no longer have a support group here.. Bummer!! I'm also wondering how much I should be eating? I've seen a lot of people say 2eggs with a banana and meat and cheese on the eggs for breakfast!! I don't come near eating that much! I eat one poached egg or a 1/4-1/3 of a banana with 2oz of fat free cottage cheese. But I've noticed I'm not always full. But I read somewhere to only eat 4oz of food! I go to see my nutrionist may 5th..

You should have received a manual or protocol during your orientation or nutrition class? Each doctor is different. Mine said 8 ozs or less per meal. Protein first.

My doc said to eat till I'm full.. I need to look at my paper work again!

Did he use the word full or till you're no longer hungry(satiety)? We try to not eat till we're full. That's how the band works. We eat till we're no longer hungry. If you eat till you get that old "Full" feeling, you've eaten too much.

I remember eating till I was full prior to the band and it was a lot of food. The band won't stop you from eating too much food. The band creates a small pouch near the esophagus but the stomach is still below the band and can still hold 32 ozs or more of food. If you eat till you get that full feeling, you may be filling your lower stomach with too much food. It's reverting to our programmed eating habits.

We try to look for soft satiety signals such as hiccups, burps, runny nose. These are signals we've eaten enough. Of course, losing the hunger feeling is also a satiety signal that it's time to put the fork down and stop eating.

You're probably too early in your journey to be feeling these signals but in time they will come. Just be aware that you should seek to eat till you're no longer hungry. If that's 4 ozs or 8 ozs, you're doing great. If it's more than that, the band isn't adjusted properly just yet.

tmf

I was banded 10 days ago. I see the weight coming off but if I do too much out and about,I feel weak. Also, starting yesterday, I've had the worst hunger pangs I have experienced. Anyone else?

Edited by JustWatchMe

Darn quote feature is way too touchy on my phone. Sorry.

"We try to look for soft satiety signals such as hiccups, burps, runny nose. These are signals we've eaten enough. Of course, losing the hunger feeling is also a satiety signal that it's time to put the fork down and stop eating."

Meant to say that I concur with @@2muchfun, and add that I don't feel these signals in time unless I eat much more slowly than before. If I don't slow down, I still feel these signals, but after I've eaten too much.

Edited by JustWatchMe

I was banded 10 days ago. I see the weight coming off but if I do too much out and about,I feel weak. Also, starting yesterday, I've had the worst hunger pangs I have experienced. Anyone else?

Almost all of us experience extreme hunger post surgery and it continues till you get enough fills to find restriction/satiety.

Justwatch, me too quite often. I guess it depends on how yummy the food is huh? The yummier it is, the longer we keep eating :huh:

I eat only one egg in morning. I had to buy really small plates to make my portion look bigger. If I eat more than 4oz at a time, I feel super full. But, everyone is different!

@@2muchfun, or in my case yesterday, eating while angry/stressed. I made a lovely piece of chicken, and sat down to eat. I was 3oz in when I felt like I shouldn't take another bite. Only then did I realize I'd been inhaling my dinner. Literally two minutes had elapsed. Moral of the story: don't eat while arguing. Fortunately, I stopped, felt all right but a little "full", gave some to the dog (he really likes my band) and left the room to chill out. No harm done, but I was surprised how easy it is to forget to slow it down.