Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

surgery switch not welcome news

So for 3 months i have studied, researched and decided on getting a sleeve. After my egd results showed a small barrett...my surgeon is recommending bypass. The barrett is not of great concern but if it should become an issue, a sleeve would create difficulty in treating or following up on it.

I really dont want to get bypass. And im considering not even getting surgery if i cant get the sleeve. Has anyone run into this issue with barretts?

Did you have a biopsy?? Have you been treated for gastric reflux with ppi medication??

Did you have a biopsy?? Have you been treated for gastric reflux with ppi medication??

No biopsy (that im aware of)...he said the chances of it becoming cancerous is very low but im also young so if anything "should" go wrong...

He put me on reflux meds about a month ago.

How can he determine if you have Barretts Esophagus without a biopsy? I have had very bad reflux for years and was so afraid I would not be able to get the Sleeve but they determined it had not turned into Barretts Esophagus so I did get the sleeve. I would let your doctor know you want the sleeve and ask for a biopsy to see if it is just reflux or truly Barretts. What does the Gastro doctor say? Ask lots of questions....

Many vets here have Extreme GERD and other reflux symptoms. I have the sleeve and am fortunate to not experience any or rarely but I would be concerned if you already have some issues because research does show that the sleeve is not a good option for those people and can also increase it. I'm sure you don't want to hear this but I would be aware and weigh the choices very carefully.

Search the site for other threads. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

Without a biopsy, a Dx of Barrets is impossible. I have an irregular z line, but I don't have Barrets. This was determined by biopsies taken during my EGD. PPIs can manage GERD and prevent Barrets. Most VSG patients take PPIs the first 6 months while their stomach learns to make less acid and then wean off of them.

Edited by Bandarella

Without a biopsy, a Dx of Barrets is impossible. I have an irregular z line, but I don't have Barrets. This was determined by biopsies taken during my EGD. PPIs can manage GERD and prevent Barrets. Most VSG patients take PPIs the first 6 months while their stomach learns to make less acid and then wean off of them.

He's had to have done a biopsy then right? I was a little overwhelemed when he explained it so i may have missed a few details. I have a friend who had bypass who is fine now but for months after surgery she was in mad misery & im so afraid of having the same experience.

Many vets here have Extreme GERD and other reflux symptoms. I have the sleeve and am fortunate to not experience any or rarely but I would be concerned if you already have some issues because research does show that the sleeve is not a good option for those people and can also increase it. I'm sure you don't want to hear this but I would be aware and weigh the choices very carefully.

Search the site for other threads. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.

I didnt even realize i had reflux until after the egd. Thanks for being a straight shooter...your feedback is appreciated!

Ok...whats a PPI? (I dont have all my acronyms down) ;)

I had bad gerd prior to gastric bypass . When I talked to my surgeon he suggested the bypass because the sleeve tends to make acid reflux worse. I did go with my surgeons suggestion sense after my surgery I have not had reflux . I would consider the bypass . It will make you a heathy person .

Ppi = proton pump inhibitor, drugs like Crestor, prilosec, omeprazole to reduce acid production.

He's had to have done a biopsy then right? I was a little overwhelemed when he explained it so i may have missed a few details. I have a friend who had bypass who is fine now but for months after surgery she was in mad misery & im so afraid of having the same experience.

There are approximately 160,000 bariatric surgeries performed in the U.S. every year. If you personally knew 1,600 friends that had the same experience, that would be 1% of the U.S. surgery population for a single year. Consider re-visiting your logic. Do you really want to make a decision as important as this one based on one person's experience?

The majority of doctors do not recommend the sleeve for patients who have a history of GERD, even in the absence of Barrett's. You don't have to look any further than this forum to read stories from folks who have had the sleeve and are now having revisions to the bypass because of severe reflux issues. The sleeve is a highly successful, safe and effective option with a slightly lower complication rate than the bypass. But in your case, your doctor is making a medically based recommendation that the bypass would be a better choice. If you're not comfortable with that recommendation, then by all means seek a second opinion.

To walk away from this life-changing opportunity to live a happier, healthier and longer life, free of obesity, is a terribly high price to pay based on one friend's experience.

Go for it! You're gonna love the new you!!

There are approximately 160,000 bariatric surgeries performed in the U.S. every year. If you personally knew 1,600 friends that had the same experience, that would be 1% of the U.S. surgery population for a single year. Consider re-visiting your logic. Do you really want to make a decision as important as this one based on one person's experience?

The majority of doctors do not recommend the sleeve for patients who have a history of GERD, even in the absence of Barrett's. You don't have to look any further than this forum to read stories from folks who have had the sleeve and are now having revisions to the bypass because of severe reflux issues. The sleeve is a highly successful, safe and effective option with a slightly lower complication rate than the bypass. But in your case, your doctor is making a medically based recommendation that the bypass would be a better choice. If you're not comfortable with that recommendation, then by all means seek a second opinion.

To walk away from this life-changing opportunity to live a happier, healthier and longer life, free of obesity, is a terribly high price to pay based on one friend's experience.

Go for it! You're gonna love the new you!!

How right you are...i love this forum. The more i read here, the more sense your above statement makes. I am 4 months in...i cant turn back. Just scared of the unknown i think.

I also was prepared to have the sleeve, until the results from my egd came back I have Barrett's. My doctor also advised me gastric bypass was the way to go. I was very bummed cause my sis n law had the sleeve and she looks fantastic. After just 9 mos she's at her goal.

The doctor went on to tell me it's the shape of stomach that makes the sleeve a bad choice making Barrett's/Gerd/Acid reflux worse and with Barrett's lead to the next stage cancer. Before I left his office I was on board with the bypass. I know I need a tool and I certainly don't want the sleeve and risk getting cancer.

This site has helped me know I made the right decision hearing that they are fully recovered. My bypass surgery is set for May 7th, a week from today. :)

Let us know what you decide.

I also was prepared to have the sleeve, until the results from my egd came back I have Barrett's. My doctor also advised me gastric bypass was the way to go. I was very bummed cause my sis n law had the sleeve and she looks fantastic. After just 9 mos she's at her goal.

The doctor went on to tell me it's the shape of stomach that makes the sleeve a bad choice making Barrett's/Gerd/Acid reflux worse and with Barrett's lead to the next stage cancer. Before I left his office I was on board with the bypass. I know I need a tool and I certainly don't want the sleeve and risk getting cancer.

This site has helped me know I made the right decision hearing that they are fully recovered. My bypass surgery is set for May 7th, a week from today. :)

Let us know what you decide.

I'll get bypass... just need to prepare for it now...