Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I experiencing dumping syndrome?

Hi all, I am 15 weeks post sleeve, I have read all the possible symptoms of dumping syndrome, and I'm note sure if I have had it or there is something else wrong with me.

This is a typical example of my symptoms-----

5-10 minutes after eating (even things that are low fat/sugar etc) I hear my tummy grumble, this then turns to nausea, I then get a terrible pain and just have to go. I then end up sitting on the toilet with a bowl on my lap as I am being sick at the same time as having terrible diarrhoea. I would be so grateful for some advice. :-)

A lot of people think that you can't dump with the sleeve. But you can! Your body is changing so much and you should make a list of the things you are eating and then delete them from your diet when you have this issue.

Would be a good idea to check it out though....15 weeks is a good time out for you to have this non-stop..... :)

I am only 3 weeks post op and have thought perhaps I have been experiencing some dumping syndrome. Firstly, I have had diarrhea since surgery - but some foods react worse, making me have to make a dash for it. But it's still all new. The other thing I have been experiencing is bad break outs...I am almost 40 years old and breaking out like a hormonal teenager?!?!? I hope this too shall pass and my body will just need to calm down a bit so i will stick it out, before changing my skincare of the last 10 yrs, or some other change to figure things out.

Yes it sure sounds like dumping, I still get it myself at nearly 4 years out. Not nearly as much but I still do. In the beginning I'd get sick on pretty much anything that was high fat or sugar, even eating too many carbs at one sitting.

I found it to be a good thing personally. I'm also glad it still happens to me too. :)

The break outs are because your body is starting to detox itself from all the stored toxins in your body over a long period of time. It releases them as they were stored in your body..Slowly....It is almost like reliving all the bad things we ate before this @Midijola It will get better but it will take time.

Edited by RJ'S/beginning

Thanks for all of your advice everyone xx

I thought I was having an episode of Dumping Syndrome about 2 weeks post op. I got so sick, I ended up going to the emergency room. I emailed my surgeon to tell him. He said there's no Dumping Syndrome with the sleeve. Could he be wrong?

I just spoke with my dietician yesterday and mentioned dumping syndrome to her too. She said it is more common with gastric bypass, but that doesn't say it cant happen to sleeve patients. We know our bodies best and my feelings are that it couldnt be impossible?

Hi @@menjaz - yes you absolutely can have dumping with the sleeve. I still get it, and honestly its a nice tool to have. It can help you learn to eat better. Good luck!