Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Imus show suspended due to racial comments

Sunta, I totally agree with you. I am a doctoral student in clinical psychology, and I've taken plenty of diversity classes. What I don't know how to do is explain the concepts to people who are so closed to exploring their own position in society (people don't want to admit that they're part of the problem). Sunta, are you an educator?

So, true...I'm not sure if it is mandated for the all education majors in NC, but @ my university we had to take a class on diversity. I would have taken the class regardless, but needless to say I learned a lot. I am really thinking it should be mandatory.

Hi, Well you reap what you sow. I will not be shedding any tears over his firing. He really needs to take a look in the mirror, namely he is an ugly old creep. I am sorry but these kind of vicious, nasty comments are not to be tolerated. There is free speech and there is hate speech.

I applaud the women for actually having the grace and dignity to meet with this man.

Susannah

I cannot believe I forgot to tell the story of an incident that happened to me last night.

My crew works 12 hour rotating shifts. Once a month after our four day shifts we get 7 days off in a row. Well yesterday happened to be my fourth day shift and a large part of my crew goes to the bar on this day after work to Celebrate. There is a guy who just transferred to my crew 4 months ago who appears to be full Mexican. Accent and all. Well he informed me a few months ago that he was half mexican half german and grew up in Germany. Thinking we had a bit in common being mexi-mutts and also I was born in Germany and lived there until I was 5 I thought we had a little bond and stupidly I assumed he might have a sense of humor. Last night he pushed past me to get by as the bar was overcrowded with drunken gold miners and I said to him jokingly "watch where you are pushing half breed!". I thought he would think this was funny and boy he didnt'. He stopped and turned to me and said I'm a full breed C---!. I said, whoa Eddie I was kidding and I thought you would think it was funny. I apologize and did not mean to offend you." Talk about feeling awful I wish I would have never said it to him. then he called me another colorful name and walked away. I was not mad that he called me those names because A. I called him a name. B. if that is what he feels, who am I to say he can't feel that way. Later on he came up to me and started lambasting me again. I told him I aplogized already and he needed to stop being an overly sensitive crybaby. I said it, I can't take it back, I certainly won't say it again to him in the future, and I definately owed him an apology. Which I gave and gave and he continue to call me names. I must wash my hands of the situation because there is nothing more I can do. And honestly I don't think there is anything else I should do except not do it again. I said it in humor. Be it in his opinion bad humor (although everyone else seemed to think it was funny). I just thought this story was interesting because of what we were talking about.

You can't even admit now your comment was ignorant..You went past bad humor. Who wants to be called a half-breed? Are you sure he was a man or a dog? I didn't even people to call my beloved dog, Fluffy, a mutt (RIP). What's funny about calling someone a half-breed? That's insulting. I would have been embarrassed to tell this story. There wasn't nothing funny about that at all...

Hi, Well you reap what you sow. I will not be shedding any tears over his firing. He really needs to take a look in the mirror, namely he is an ugly old creep. I am sorry but these kind of vicious, nasty comments are not to be tolerated. There is free speech and there is hate speech.

I applaud the women for actually having the grace and dignity to meet with this man.

Susannah

Right on!! I totally agree!

Someone said in an earlier post "what if he would have done this in a doctor's office?" That is rediculous. HE DIDN'T DO IT IN A DOCTOR'S OFFICE. He did it on his radio/tv show where he has been expressing his opinions for 35 years. Like people said earlier, they listened to Howard Stern and decided they didn't like his stuff so they turned him off. That is their freedom. You have every right not to support him if he says something you don't like.

MSNBC and CBS would not have fired him if there wasn't the pressure from the groups. GUARANTEED. I am listening to clips on Directv right now of the Steve Harvey radio show. As I type this I am listening to his bit that is making fun of white, southern, rednecks. He is being very stereotypical. A. It's pretty damned funny if you ask me. I'm cracking up.

B. Where is the public outcry from Al Sharpton on Steve Harvey's politically incorrect comments? Oh that's right, he's black so he can say whatever he wants. Geez, wish I was black so I could say whatever I wanted to.

Susannah

Ok, so he can't call people names but we can call him "ugly old creep". Hmmm.....interesting.

What he said was definately mean and totally uncalled for. I must admit I had never even heard of this guy until all this happened.

I have a question though. People have been talking about is there or isn't there a double standard when it comes to use of words, etc. Remember that movie "White Chicks", where 2 black guys pretended to be white girls? I've only seen parts of the movie and it was good, but my question is.....what would happen if some white guys made a movie called "Black Chicks" and did the same type of thing? Would that be OK or would there be an outrage? I'm just really curious because I do believe there is a bit of a double standard and that's ok by me.

To me it's like - I can call my sister a bitch but I'll be damned if anybody else can! You know??

:noidea: :noidea:

You can't even admit now your comment was ignorant..You went past bad humor. Who wants to be called a half-breed? Are you sure he was a man or a dog? I didn't even people to call my beloved dog, Fluffy, a mutt (RIP). What's funny about calling someone a half-breed? That's insulting. I would have been embarrassed to tell this story. There wasn't nothing funny about that at all...

Really? Actually I did say I shouldn't have said it. My mom used to call me and my twin her little mexi-mutts when we were little. I'm not an oversensitive crybaby about it though. And I don't think my mom was being mean to us. I also think my mom had a wonderful sense of humor. I'm sure not everyone thought that. It is a matter of opinion. Why do you get to decide what is funny? And actually it was insulting to him. Why do you get to decide what is insulting. When I'm called a half-breed I am not insulted whether it is meant mean or as a joke. YOU would have been embarassed to tell this story, I'm not embarassed by my honesty. But I guess that makes you and I different. I learned a valuable lesson in that what I think is funny doesn't mean everyone else will think it is funny. And I actually think I did pretty much say the comment was ignorant....I may have not said it in YOUR words but I was admitting something I thought I had done wrong. Kind of a lesson learned relating to the topic of this thread. Like I said earlier though..Why do YOU get to decide what is funny? I'm just curious how you got that power. I would like it.

I don't know that I agree with "most" of the hip/hop or rap music being about one's own struggles. I believe there is just as much gangster/kill people/slap your ho/i'm a pimp/f---white people hip/hop/rap as their is personal struggles music. There is really no way to know for sure but I do think people are deciding to focus on one or the other without recognizing the other. I happened to have heard some neo-nazi music as well. There is actually a market for that (in my opinion) crap. Obviously not as big a market as hip/hop (which I personally love).

Since you love hip hop you should know it's not all about "gangster/kill people/slap your ho/i'm a pimp, etc."

What about Common, Mos Def, Will Smith, Talib Kweli, Dead Prez? Just to name a few. What do you think of them?

Even Ludicris and LL Cool J have cleaned up their music.

Someone said in an earlier post "what if he would have done this in a doctor's office?" That is rediculous. HE DIDN'T DO IT IN A DOCTOR'S OFFICE. He did it on his radio/tv show where he has been expressing his opinions for 35 years. Like people said earlier, they listened to Howard Stern and decided they didn't like his stuff so they turned him off. That is their freedom. You have every right not to support him if he says something you don't like.

MSNBC and CBS would not have fired him if there wasn't the pressure from the groups. GUARANTEED. I am listening to clips on Directv right now of the Steve Harvey radio show. As I type this I am listening to his bit that is making fun of white, southern, rednecks. He is being very stereotypical. A. It's pretty damned funny if you ask me. I'm cracking up.

B. Where is the public outcry from Al Sharpton on Steve Harvey's politically incorrect comments? Oh that's right, he's black so he can say whatever he wants. Geez, wish I was black so I could say whatever I wanted to.

Well, it's about time someone gave him the BOOT! As a matter of fact it took too long! For you to say black people can say what they want is ridiculous! Howard Stern isn't black and he say and DO everythng on his show! He's another one that should get the BOOT! I am so tired of people trying to take up for ignorance and that includes in the hip/hop, rap, country, alternative, movies, sports and all others that I didn't name! Ignorance is ignorance!!! I am glad he is GONE and that should be a warning for others!! Thanks CBS and MSNBC! As for you wishing you was black...oh you couldn't handle it!

namely he is an ugly old creep. I am sorry but these kind of vicious, nasty comments are not to be tolerated. There is free speech and there is hate speech.

Susannah

Wow, does this seem like hate speech to anyone? It does me. Oh I know, if you are insulting a white person based on their looks it is ok. My bad. I keep forgetting that. silly me:rolleyes:

Geez, wish I was black so I could say whatever I wanted to.
I think that if your wish somehow came true, you'd find a very unpleasant reality check.

Since you love hip hop you should know it's not all about "gangster/kill people/slap your ho/i'm a pimp, etc."

quote]

Can you point out where I said "It's all about"?

Wow, does this seem like hate speech to anyone? It does me. Oh I know, if you are insulting a white person based on their looks it is ok. My bad. I keep forgetting that. silly me:)

Now that is IGNORANT!

Well, it's about time someone gave him the BOOT! As a matter of fact it took too long! For you to say black people can say what they want is ridiculous! Howard Stern isn't black and he say and DO everythng on his show! He's another one that should get the BOOT! I am so tired of people trying to take up for ignorance and that includes in the hip/hop, rap, country, alternative, movies, sports and all others that I didn't name! Ignorance is ignorance!!! I am glad he is GONE and that should be a warning for others!! Thanks CBS and MSNBC! As for you wishing you was black...oh you couldn't handle it!

Should Steve Harvey get the boot for his ignorance that I'm listening to right now? I don't think he should.

I am absolutely not upset that you called me simple. I think my not giving way to the possibility that he would be offended is simple. Like I said in the story, I felt awful. I do not think that the fact he remained to be upset is wrong. I think the fact that he kept coming over and getting in my face is wrong. If he hates me for the rest of his life and has me cursed on his gravestone I don't think he is wrong. I just said there is nothing else I could do about it and he shouldn't keep the argument going for hours on end. Is there something else I could have possibly done. Once I said it I couldn't take it back. All I could do is apologize. I guess I could have gone to rehab or resigned from my position or killed myself. Obviously those are rediculous suggestions. But what can I do short of not saying it again and apologizing? Trust me, I am called midget, half-breed, told I should stay home and pump out some kids like a good wife, etc........just because I laugh at bieng poked fun at doesn't mean everyone should. I absolutely never said because I was joking and apologized that it was ok. What more do YOU suggest I do? Also, have you ever said anything in your life to someone as a joke and it didn't go over well and you wished you could take it back? I don't know you, but I'm guessing the answer is yes.

Maybe you could have tried to educate yourself a little better. By you telling this story it is clear that you still haven't learned anything. Why should he except your apology when it's clear you still to today don't even realize how ignorant your comment was. Perhaps that's why he didn't accept your apology.

Have you ever been to the tolerance museum in LA? The Holocaust museum in D.C? The internet is a great source of knowledge (some good and bad). Libraries are great. Talk to people, be willing to listen.