Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How can I get info on when this group meets? I would like to attend a meeting one day!

Hi @Slimsoon1988. We'll provide information once we have a date and location for the next meeting. It will likely be in the spring but not exactly sure when. You can always PM me or Lisa as well if you want to know the status of our next get together.

Liz

Hi all, I've been lurking for a few weeks and finally made an account. I had my appt at NYU Langone with Dr. Schwack yesterday and hopefully I'll be approved for gastric sleeve in late June or July (my insurance requires 6 months of weigh-ins unfortunately.) Hope to get to know everyone either online or offline in the coming months and year. :-)

I just had my surgery at nyu last week Tuesday by dr. Fielding... it want ok

Congrats! Just ok? How are you feeling?

Edited by chubbsey1

Hello everyone! New to this... Just start my preop stuff early this month. I would love support from folks in NYC..

I'm from the Bronx and having surgery at NYP/Columbia.

Hi all, there's a chance I might not be living in NY in a few months so instead of chancing it I'm just having the VSG done in mexico on April 16th. I'm sort of relieved because I was just on the border at 40bmi and now I can start my healthy lifestyle right now instead of waiting and worrying about staying at that weight until this summer. I'm still going to do my sleep study and my nutritionist/psychologist meetings because I think it'll be good mental preparation and my insurance covers it anyway, but I don't want to risk having to move and start the process over again with another insurance company in another state with another doctor. Not to mention, I'd rather do the recovery in early spring and actually enjoy my summer. lol!

Hi there - the first few months are the most intense (and also exciting) time of this journey. There's so much to figure out and plan for. There's lots of great info in the pre-op section of these boards. Please feel free to PM me with any specific questions. I'm 8 1/2 months out, so my memory about all the pre-op questions/concerns is starting to fade, but I can tell you it is all SO worth it!!

Hello everyone! New to this... Just start my preop stuff early this month. I would love support from folks in NYC..

Thank you so much suse2000!!! I am definitely overwhelmed with info and super excited. I am looking fwd to this journey but don't know what it will be like especially at first

My revision from band to sleeve surgery was attempted this past Monday, March 16th. It was a colossal failure due to stomach inflammation from the lap band and the band being embedded into the both the stomach and the liver.

The band was successfully removed, but the sleeve operation could not be performed at the same time (as planned.)

I now need to wait 4-6 months for the inflammation to go down and for my insides to fully heal. I'm left with no surgical tool to assist me with weight loss. Still, I will try on my own and hope that the 4-6 months passes quickly so I can be safely sleeved.

I don't know how often a situation such as mine occurs. I'd be interested to hear from others who may have faced similar obstacles to getting revision surgery, or to hear from others who may be familiar with this scenario.

Thank you in advance for any feedback on my experience. And, I wish safe and successful surgical outcomes for all.

Edited by sleeveee

My revision from band to sleeve surgery was attempted this past Monday, March 16th. It was a colossal failure due to stomach inflammation from the lap band and the band being embedded into the both the stomach and the liver.

The band was successfully removed, but the sleeve operation could not be performed at the same time (as planned.)

I now need to wait 4-6 months for the inflammation to go down and for my insides to fully heal. I'm left with no surgical tool to assist me with weight loss. Still, I will try on my own and hope that the 4-6 months passes quickly so I can be safely sleeved.

I don't know how often a situation such as mine occurs. I'd be interested to hear from others who may have faced similar obstacles to getting revision surgery, or to hear from others who may be familiar with this scenario.

Thank you in advance for any feedback on my experience. And, I wish safe and successful surgical outcomes for all.

So sorry to hear that you weren't able to be sleeved. Hoping you heal quickly and get the surgery soon.

Who is up for a Spring Renewal??? I know I am!!!!

The weather on the East Coast this Winter has been pretty brutal, and even though Elsa is my all-time favorite Disney Princess….I’m ready for some Sunflowers, and Daffodils!

The next NYC/LI chapter is meeting is going to be on April 11th from 2PM till 4 PM

We will be meeting at The Atrium at 805 Third Avenue.

The building is on Third Ave between 49th and 50th Streets.

The Atrium is at the back of the space on the lower level past the shops.

We are looking forward to seeing many of our forum friends there for a fun filled afternoon. We hope to share a bit of information, education, and ultimately support with our friends!!!

So mark your calendars today forum friends and make plans to spend a beautiful Spring afternoon in NYC.

If any Jersey friends want to attend, please feel free to cross the Hudson and join us.

10 Tips for Spring Cleansing and Renewal

1. Feel the power of Nature all around you and within you. Know that this awesome force is available to you, and allow it to influence the course of your life and health. Identify the areas of your life that need some work and plan specific improvements that incorporate the changing seasons. Allow yourself to visualize your Perfect Life, and nourish that vision through your cleansing and renewal process.
  2. Spring is the time for renewing your life - letting go of what you don't need (physical, mental, and emotional habits that undermine your health) and bringing in what you need anew (accepting positive health habits that will satisfy your soul). Take a break from the TV to be more creative, or read by candlelight without the electrical vibrations at night, or just sit quiet to meditate and listen.
  3. Get more outside exercise and spend more time in Nature. Take hikes, plant a garden, or work in a community garden. Create a balanced fitness program or modify the one you are already following that will support your healthy, body/mind happiness. Working up a sweat helps you dump toxins; this will improve your health and lead to fewer doctor's visits. Also add some reflective practices such as stretching, yoga, or chi gong; these help support renewal by giving your body time to gently de-stress and deepen the changes you are making in your life.
  4. Consider a special and specific detoxification program. This could include substance avoidance (off sugar and caffeine, for example),
  5. Renew all aspects of your Life. Go through your piles of papers, your clothes, and the corners of rooms in areas that haven't seen light for years. Don't be afraid to let go and let things flow. Give things away, have a garage sale, and recycle or re-circulate what you can. "Being simple, simply being."
  6. Begin to gently, yet seriously, re-evaluate the key areas of your life - work (career), relationships, and health. Again, look at what undermines your potential in these worlds and allow clear guidance, suggestions, and actions to arise in your being. Try to be more aware of the subtle areas of life and the effects of foods. How does the food you eat make you feel. Increased vitality and improved health will change how you view your life and how much energy you have to create positive change for yourself.
  7. It is your healthy body that lets your Spirit fly more freely. Nutritional supplements (as the raw materials--vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and fatty acids) nourish and support your body and mind. The cleansing process de-stresses your body and lets your energy rise and awaken your psyche. Freshly squeezed juices and herbal teas are vitalizing, high-vibration nourishment. Sprouts from seeds and grains are live, vital food. Aromatherapy and smelling the beautiful sweetness of the spring flowers will soother your soul as well.
  8. Be Earth-aware and Earth-friendly. Be conscious of where things come from and where they go - and the real cost of products you use - such as plastics and chemical products. Re-use and Re-cycle. Support more earth-conscious businesses and products. How do you vote with your dollar?
  9. Cleansing habits to incorporate include deep and relaxed breathing, yoga-type stretching, dry skin brushing, and wonderful walks in Nature. When was the last time you de-stressed, downloaded and digested your life experiences to catch up to the present?
  10. Do something that uplifts your Spirit, such as caring for a loved one or an elderly neighbor. Trust your heart and feed it joyful experiences. Put your Spirit on the line for what you believe. Doing for another is key to completing the circle of life, called Love. Building community is a positive change for Earth as well as for our Spirit.

Hi there - the first few months are the most intense (and also exciting) time of this journey. There's so much to figure out and plan for. There's lots of great info in the pre-op section of these boards. Please feel free to PM me with any specific questions. I'm 8 1/2 months out, so my memory about all the pre-op questions/concerns is starting to fade, but I can tell you it is all SO worth it!!

Hi @@Nyelaah! I too am planning to have surgery done at Columbia. I'm meeting the surgeon Wednesday! Did you get a date yet?

Hi @elladyne I have not meet with my surgeon (Dr. Bagloo). I ana till finishing up my req. I'll be done by May with weight management and NUT meeting and putting through the info with insurance then

@@sleeveee Hi, I'm sorry you had some trouble with the procedure. I know when Ken and I changed Dr.'s the new Dr. really advised Ken and I that he felt we would have been better sleeve patients then band because of Ken's diabetes and my hormonal issues the malabsorbtive bit with the band would have worked faster for us. We are not in a big race to get the to the finish line so we just work it as it is and when we get there we get there. It's been slow and steady but we have not had any regain and that's a BIG plus in my book all other medical issues aside.

He did tell us though that if we needed to revise for some reason in the future it would mean removing the band and healing internally few a few months before sleeve surgery could be performed so your experience especially if the liver and stomach have that kind of trauma is not out of the ordinary.

Hang in there...your gonna get where you want to be!! How are you doing today?

There is no malabsorption with the band or the sleeve. They are both restrictive procedures, but the sleeve has gained favor over the band of late. Still, if the band is working for you, stick with it. I had no problems for three years and my weight loss went well. And, BTW, I followed the band guidelines to a T and had no negative symptoms.

Yes, I will get the sleeve in time because now the band is out. I'm left on my own where I typically lose and regain the weight I lost, plus more. I hope these four to six months will be different.

Today I'm doing somewhat better. I took a walk outside as I have been doing daily. I'm improving with the walking. My pace is slowly coming back to where I had been. Some days are a bit of a setback, but then I make a comeback. Recovery is not linear.

I go back to the surgeon tomorrow. I just hope that the issues I had with my stomach and liver can't re-occur. I'm going to ask him about that, and more.

Best to you and your husband.

~~ Barbara

hello all! my name is Lisa, and i was sleeved in Mexico 2 weeks ago (march 27th, 2015) by Dr Maytorena. i had a great experience, and am feeling great! i live in Central Suffolk