Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finding out you don't qualify

Hi everyone :)

I, like a few of you, am one of those "healthy" obese people. No co-morbidities and my BMI is 39.1.

I had a sleep study to possibly show apnea, but so far nothing. I go for my two month weigh in next week and I'm sure I will be told I so not qualify per my ins requirements. I've been trying to gain. My go to is Peanut Butter but I gave it up for lent and nothing is working.

I'm super bummed.

Is there any one who has gone through this? And, what did you do? I've thought of taping rolls of quarters toy body, but my luck they would bust open and go all over the floor lol

Thanks everyone .

This is defiantly a great group of people:)

Milkshakes! ;-)

I was in the same boat. I had no co-morbidities, and I needed to gain 8 lbs to get to the required BMI of 40.

I ended up gaining 20 lbs :(

However! For me, in the long run, it was worth it. I would have eventually gained those 20 lbs anyways, the path that I was on. Hell I'm sure I would have gained more than that eventually. And my thinking was, let's get this done while I'm still fairly healthy and will probably tolerate the surgery better. I'm not advocating anyone deliberately gain weight. For me though, it was the answer. I had thoroughly researched the surgery and examined my history and I really thought the sleeve was the best answer for me. I believe with all my being that I was right.

I have heard of people sewing weights into their clothing, and slouching when they measure your height. Losing an inch in height can increase your BMI. I also made sure I ate something really salty the day before weigh in.

Good luck!

How silly that they deny you based on eight pounds! Id say put weights in your pockets, wear heavy shoes, heavy jeans, and lots of layers. And try to weight during PMS.

Rolls of quarters in your bra, only take your shoes off if they tell you too. Leather belt with a heavy buckle on your pants. Eat before your weigh in.

You are so damn close.....wishing you good luck!

The National medical Assoc, has now recognized obesity has a disease so that more insurances will start to cover wls, so you may be alright. Just remember though all that added weight is harder to take off, and most insurances want to see a weight loss pre-op. I had to lose 20lbs during the time I was having all my tests done. My doctor told me that the insurance wouldn't cover the surgery, if they didn't see the weight loss during that time. So I wish you luck, and I think you will be fine.

I love all the feed back :) thank you all very much.

I'll have to try the milk shakes, and take up sewing Wink! Wink!!

Do you have any issues at all such heavy or irregular periods, pain in back, knees, feet, depression, pain on your heels, SOB, etcetera? Think of anything at all!

I had a BMI of 38 when I started and minimal comorbidities, the dr actually had to search but not too hard cuz I had sleep apnea. Also you can use your family history if they have anything heart disease, diabetes, etc...

They are finding that it is actually cheaper to treat obesity with surgery than to wait for the co orbiters such as heart disease, diabetes, etc.. So I would talk to your insurance company before deliberately putting weight on.

Or as suggested try layering your clothes or a little weight in your bra.. I understand your extreme desire to have the surgery and would do anything to have it done as you are willing but hopefully you can find away without actually putting weight on!

At the very least guzzle as much Water as possible before you weigh in to! You would be surprised how much Water you can hold and how much the scale can increase!!

Do you have any issues at all such heavy or irregular periods, pain in back, knees, feet, depression, pain on your heels, SOB, etcetera? Think of anything at all!

I had a BMI of 38 when I started and minimal comorbidities, the dr actually had to search but not too hard cuz I had sleep apnea. Also you can use your family history if they have anything heart disease, diabetes, etc...

They are finding that it is actually cheaper to treat obesity with surgery than to wait for the co orbiters such as heart disease, diabetes, etc.. So I would talk to your insurance company before deliberately putting weight on.

Or as suggested try layering your clothes or a little weight in your bra.. I understand your extreme desire to have the surgery and would do anything to have it done as you are willing but hopefully you can find away without actually putting weight on!

At the very least guzzle as much Water as possible before you weigh in to! You would be surprised how much Water you can hold and how much the scale can increase!!

I would definitely go the route of not actually gaining weight! I know some obese people are without symptoms health wise but I'd hardly call it healthy. What about a milkshake the night before a fasting glucose? ? Prediabetes? One of the stipulations of this pre auth phase for me is that I can't be heavier than when I started.

I wish you luck! I had my cell phone my old phone my I pod and my wallet in my pockets for weigh in gave me an extra 6 pounds so try that don't gain weight

I don't have pressure incontinence. I never thought of adding weight or slouching. I just thought I would go in and actually be the right weight lol

My ins says 40 bmi or above or 35-39bmi with co-morbidities. I meet with the neurologist the 23 to discuss my sleep study results.

Then the next day I go see the PA and see if I qualify or just stop going there.

I called to ask about a week ago of my initial weight from my first visit was going to be the weight submitted for qualifying purposes. She said no, the one at the end with the surgeon is .

So? Why did the PA tell me if I don't have sleep apneA then I don't qualify??

I saw he nutritionist and she said " your so close!!" What, about a half a pizza should get you where you need to be" lol

I do have very painful hip, knee and ankle joints. Asthma, depression. But, none of those qualify as co-morbidities because he surgery won't fix my asthma and who knows about the others.

They are hinting to you that you are close and that you can get there by adding a few pounds, but they can't come out and tell you that you should gain weight in order to qualify.

I figured as much lol

Thank you all for helping me understand