Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleeved 3-26, complications

I am so torn about how to feel right now. I am 2.5 weeks out and have dropped 30lbs, personally i feel like that's a lot. However my complications may explain it. I can't eat or drink anything besides Water without throwing it up. It's awful, sometimes it's right away sometimes it's hours later. I've also noticed I'm going .. Going to the bathroom.. At all, does it seem like there's an issue with my digestion? I'm getting worried because it's not getting better. Any advice?

You need to contact your medical team.

There are a million things people can suggest - like don't drink too quickly, don't eat too much, take your time, chew well, eat clean, low fat, low sugar - are you doing all those things?

Can you get anything in other than Water?

Either way, at 2.5 weeks, you should be at least able to get milk in... or even thin broth with no lumps.

Go speak to your medical team. Seriously.

I'm considering going to the hospital right now for dehydration. I can eat some of those things down but the problem is that even if it's a couple hours later I always end up throwing everything up. I have talked to my dr and they just tell me to be patient and go slow and it'll get better. But it's not.

Did they give you an acid reducer like Omeprazole. I think you lot call it Prilosec?

If you're producing too much acid, this can make you feel nauseated.

You say you can eat some things? What things are you eating?

If you're eating things which are too advanced for you at this stage, then being sick is going to happen.

If you're not and if I were you, I wouldn't take no for an answer. Rock up to your medical team and demand to be seen.

Go to the emergency room!!! It is better to be safe than sorry!

I was sleeved on 3/31andthere is no way I would tolerate not being able to keep anything besides Water down for more than a week past surgery. I would go to the ER *and* get a more realistic solution to this. 30lbs in 2.5 weeks is too much. What about nutrients and Vitamins?

I am at the hospital now on an Iv and going to be getting a cat-scan. Hopefully I can get done answers!

Hey there, I had very similar complications around 2 weeks after surgery. I basically vomited anything that I tried to take in for nearly a week. Finally, after a visit to the ER and an appt with the surgeon, I was hospitalized for 6 days where they focused on rehydration and did a bunch of tests. (Ct scan, scope, blood work, upper GI). Ultimately it was kind of a catch 22, where because of the vomiting, everything was swollen and that's why I couldn't keep anything down. There were other issues, but that was the reason I was throwing up so much. So by being on an IV for more than a few hours, it allowed the swelling to go down and for me to be able to drink again.

It was a tough process, and I still get sick everyday (I'm 6 weeks out), but I am eating and drinking now and mostly feeling ok.

Hang in there! PM me if you have questions or need anything.

I am so glad you went to the ER. I hope you feel better soon and get the answers you need. Please keep us informed about your situation. Take care.

Thanks for all the advice! I was extremely dehydrated so they had me on Iv which really helped and then testing showed I have pancreatitis which is causing all the vomiting. My body isn't digesting food properly because everything is swollen. I was told I need to be on bed rest and drink As much fluids as I can until it heals. So far I haven't gotten sick in over 24hours! I'm feeling more normal now and hopefully it only gets better from here :)

Thanks for all the advice! I was extremely dehydrated so they had me on Iv which really helped and then testing showed I have pancreatitis which is causing all the vomiting. My body isn't digesting food properly because everything is swollen. I was told I need to be on bed rest and drink As much fluids as I can until it heals. So far I haven't gotten sick in over 24hours! I'm feeling more normal now and hopefully it only gets better from here :)

Very glad to hear you're on the mend and feeling much better :)

May I ask if you've had your gallbladder out? Pancreatitis is normally a secondary issue presented after original gallbladder issues are identified?

If you haven't had your gallbladder out, you may need to talk to your surgeon to ask about the possibility of having it removed.