Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Surprised at some people's weight and still get surgery

I have the same issue. I'm five foot nothing and my top weight was 189. But I also have apnea and I have been struggling with losing and regaining the same weight (plus extra) forever. The extra weight is a huge burden. I can't exercise like I used to, clothes shopping is a nightmare, I just look and feel like shit. I don't think I should have to pack on more weight and possibly develop another comorbidity to meet other people's criteria that I'm "fat enough" to get the surgery.

I just got sleeved the day before yesterday and today as I was leaving the hospital, another lady who I think was accompanying her husband for his surgery asked me who I was with. I said I was here by myself and I just had the sleeve done. She responded with something like, "But you're so small!" So apparently I get judged for being too fat AND I get judged for being not fat enough. Shrug.

I feel your pain. It happened to me more than once. I just got home from the hospital today.

yes, i hear you. I am 267 lbs but I'm 5'10" so I carry it well. I'm in a size 18 jeans. My BMI is, I believe 35 but I have diabetes, HBP, High Cholesterol and Atrial Fibrillation. I need to get this weight off for good so I can be a healthier me.

Im 250 but hold my weight pretty well, i went into my clinic today for a pre op appointment and a patient in the waiting room asked how much ive lost with my surgery. When i told them i hadnt had it yet i got the "look" it really bothered me. She doesn't know my story....so now im judged by thin people AND overweight people. But ill try to take it as a complement even though it has kinda messed with my head now

Nobody knows our story but us. Try to brush it off knowing that you are doing what you need to do to be healthy and happy. Everyone else who wants to judge can go kick rocks!

I see people who weigh less than 200 lbs. and get the sleeve or they start with the band and revise over to sleeve well below 200 lbs. I'm surprised a surgeon would do this or insurance would approve it.

I am 4'9.5" on a good day :) BMI 37 with high cholesterol, bad knees, hypothyroid and a family history of DM, strokes and heart attacks. Insurance approved me 3 business days.

I am 5 ' 4 and weigh 205. I have HBP, high cholesterol, osteoarthritis in both hips, GERD, sleep apnea. My father had his first heart attack at 39. Having a grandchild now makes me realize I want to be around longer. It is so difficult moving around with my granddaughter.

I've stopped going to the bariatric support group. I feel like an outsider at the meetings. The very first meeting I went to I felt really comfortable until everyone introduced themselves. I presumed that everyone there was pre-op because they were so big, but they were all post-op, and looking at me like I didn't belong. Fat judging fat.

I'm surprised that the choices and needs of some would surprise others. I never hit 40bmi at my top weight, but had other issues. Going through the process I lost quite a bit of weight, and when I had the band done my preop weight was 189. The band have me all kinds of issues, and after fighting with it for a year I decided to revise to sleeve with a preop weight of 190. Mind you I was down to 165 with the band before it slipped, but it was shown that without restriction I did not maintain weight loss so insurance approved it, plus I needed to have the band removed due to the slip anyway. We are all supposed to be here for support, not to be judged. I'm sure that was your intention in this thread, but sometimes I see topics that are very judgemental and thoughtless of others, and I do not think that this is the place for that.

I was intrigued to see this topic, as I have been encountering this lately. I just received my surgery date of nov 6th. Several times I have had people say they are surprised that I am having WLS as they don't think I am "fat" enough. I am 5'4" and started at 230 or a BMI of 40. That is fat enough.

I have been on so many diets over the last 40 years I can't even remember them all. I have lost >50# several times. I do not have lots of co-morbidities at this point and want to get healthier before I start down that road. My feet hurt, I am short of breath, have high BP, and can't participate in exercise at my former level. I agreed with another post that first you are too fat and then you aren't fat enough! Go figure.

Thank you all for being so understanding of us "lightweights" I myself am 5' tall and I weigh 170 lbs. Now with that being said, I should weigh 110 at my ideal weight. I am considerd obese! I have high blood pressure due to my weight, I have adult onset asthma, I have sleep apnea, and I am absolutely miserable! So yes I want to stop all of my bad health problems before they get any worse. I will be sleeved on March 11 2015. I can't wait!

I see people who weigh less than 200 lbs. and get the sleeve or they start with the band and revise over to sleeve well below 200 lbs. I'm surprised a surgeon would do this or insurance would approve it.

Coming off a little judgey aren't we?

It's not always a about pounds it's also health concerns.