Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are the protein shakes causing anyone else head axhes?

I am currently on day three of my preop liquid diet It seems like every time I drink a Protein Shake (3 times a day) no matter from which distributor I still get a really nasty headache afterwards. Is this is happening to anybody else?

What kind are they? Do they have aspartame in them? That stuff gives me a headache every time.

What are the specifics of your liquid diet? Protein shakes only or what?

I starting week 3 on the Optifast 900. I was told to stop all caffeine and no sugar free pop. All pop has a certain amount of caffeine. I had headaches for the first 3 days of opti but they have gone now. Maybe the withdrawl from the caffeine is the culptit. I could not tell if it was that or food wiyhdrawl. Hang in it does get better. Val :-)

I can't do artificial sweeteners either. Look out for Sucralose (aspartame) -- and that's a good point about caffeine. Also you may just be detoxing -- those first three days are so hard but then it really does get easier for most people. Good luck and know you're not alone. Congratulations on making this decision for your healthy future!

I'm 2 weeks post op and I've had a headache almost daily since a week before surgery. I figured it was just hunger... now I'm rethinking that...

I have been told your headache is from the sugar/caffeine/carb withdrawls. My headaches lightened up by about day 4 of the pre-op, but I've had one all day today. I'm on day 8 of my 14 day liquid.< /p>

I have been told your headache is from the sugar/caffeine/carb withdrawls. My headaches lightened up by about day 4 of the pre-op, but I've had one all day today. I'm on day 8 of my 14 day liquid.< /p>

i could have wrote this.....i had a horrible headache til about day 4 on my pre op and then it got better....tylenol helped....def feel it was me detoxing from junk...and withdrawals perhaps..

Thanks for all the replies. what I've been drinking are nectar by Syntrax as well an Unjury and I see that the Syntrax Nectar has sucralose. As far as withdrawals go, I'm not a coffee, caffeine, or soda drinker. And I have been on the low-carb high-protein diet at least 10 times in the past but I've never experienced a headache along with it. I'm just wondering is there some kind of a reaction I'm having. Oh well, we are all in this together. I'm on day 4 preop and I'll get through it. nothing a little Tylenol won't help:) thanks everybody

Constipation yes, headaches no