Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery in 3 days any advice?

I have my surgery on wednesday. I am just looking for some last minute pointers. I have done all of my research and I feel ready but I want to make sure I am fully prepared. I have to go on Clear liquids all day tuesday and then after surgery I will be on Clear Liquids until mon 4/14.

What exactly can you drink on clear liquids? Is there anything I should bring to the hospital? Am I going to be totally exhausted afterward? What should I have on hand in the house after surgery? I am starting to get anxious so I would appreciate any advice from post op people.

Thanks!

Hey! I'd definitely get some Isopure for the first week. I got the fruit punch and added a fruit punch Crystal Light pouch to make it a little sweeter and take away that "protein" taste. Yes, you'll be tired. I was really tired for about 4 days, then just felt worn down for about 2 weeks. My advice is to not baby yourself too much. I know not all agree, but I pushed myself and walked every day. It helped tremendously. Remember it will get better. When people ask me about the surgery I say, the first 2 weeks sucked (just felt weird and not like myself) and as a whole the first 2 months were just a huge learning experience, not easy. But I will tell you it's ALL WORTH IT! I'm a year out and it's the best thing I ever did for myself. After about 4 or 5 months you're life will slowly stop revolving around your sleeve and you'll start to feel normal again. I went from a size 18/20 to a size 8 and couldn't be happier. 4 more days til you start getting your skinny on!!!

Take a small travel pillow to hold against your stomach when you either cough or have to get up. They will get you up walking rather quickly. You may want to take a robe, the hospital gowns may not cover your backside. I forgot mine, and once I had to take a sheet and make myself a toga before I could take my evening walk in the hospital... lol, it was fine. I took slippers, but didn't need them. The socks they put on me were enough. I didn't need the reading material I brought, slept a LOT.