Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 4/2 lapband surgery story

had surgery on 4/2 My surgery journey: Sunday: I had to do Clear Liquids. I sure missed my coffee. I slept fine, and thought that my nerves had vanished. Monday: got up at 4:30 to wash again with the antibacterial that they gave me at my pre-op. I missed my coffee. Left the house at 5. Checked in, asked for my valium. The girl at the desk said to ask the nurse and she brought me to my bed/curtained room. I was given a Johnny…looked at my husband and said that I wasn’t sure I could do it. He told me I didn’t have to if I didn’t want to. I told him I wanted to, but I was afraid. My valium came right as they were bringing me to surgery. Allot of help that was. LOL Before I was brought into the operating room, my surgeon came over, told me not to worry everything would be fine. I met the anesthesiologist, and the anesthesia nurse. He was wonderful. I asked him to make sure everything went well, and not to leave me until I went back down to my cubby. He put the IV in and then said he was going to inject some good medicine. Then it was off to the operating room. They put the booties on me. I really liked them. LOL Then they moved me to the operating table. Then Paul woke me in recovery and gave me oxygen. My surgeon told me everything went well, and he was going to go talk to my husband. I had no problems waking or breathing. Went to my room/cubby place. My husband was there. When I got there, I asked to use the bathroom. The nurse asked me if I wanted to go home, and I said yes. Put on my clothes, my husband got the car. They wheeled me down and put me in the car. I was home by 1 PM. I’m sore and it’s hard to get up and to get comfortable, but on a scale from 1-10, my pain is a 1. Soreness a 4. Tuesday: I experienced THE gas, but even that was only about a 2. I am sipping, and to tell you the truth, I could take large gulps, but I do know better. I don’t feel my band at all. I have 6 incisions and they are sore. I’m doing well. I don’t know how people can go right back to work. Just getting up to the bathroom wears me out. I’ve taken small walks in my house. I’ve only had Water and half of a popsicle. My doc said I could go right on to full liquids when I was feeling up to it. Wednesday: Feeling stronger, pain pills take care of incesions. I can hear the gas, but so far no gas pains. Thursday: Feeling better. Maybe tomorrow I’ll try some nectar.

I was very nervous for nothing. It wasn’t bad, and it was quick. I hope that I’ve calmed any fears anyone on deck has. Thanks to everyone who said a prayer, sent a hug, well wishes, and support.

Hey Amwlady

Hopefully, you will start feeling more human in the next few days. I took a week off - and that was just about right.

We are all thinking good thoughts for speedy healing!

Hugs!

Thanks for this posting, Amwlady...I am up for the surgery on May 16 and your day by day diary this week was great. I appreciate your sharing.

KYsunshine

You're welcome. Best wishes for a safe and uneventful surgery. I was sooooooooooo nervous........I really shouldn't have been. I had to be at the hospital at 5:45 AM and was home by 1 PM.

Hi Amwlady,

I will soon be banded May 16 cant wait !! My huistband was banded in January and he's lost 38 pnds . So you know Im jelous lol !!

Im glad I read your posting thanks for the heads up ..

soon2bbanded

Hi Amwlady,

I will soon be banded May 16 cant wait !! My huistband was banded in January and he's lost 38 pnds . So you know Im jelous lol !!

Im glad I read your posting thanks for the heads up ..

soon2bbanded

Hi there Soon2bbanded.....

I too will be banded on May 16.....where will you have this done? I am in Louisville at St. Mary's with Dr. Lusco.

KYsunshine

hi kysunshine ,

Sorry im still new at this so I dont even know if I get a reply ... lol !!

awsome we will be banded the same day !!

I am in New jersey .

Are you nervous?

This forum is so very helpful....learning a lot from reading others' postings.

Yes, bit nervous, but so very ready. It is many life changes....no drinking while eating or right after eating, chewing to mush, less quantity, exercise a priority; however, I am determined to HAVE a life (am 54), so this is essential for me. While reading everyone's postings, it is quite encouraging and takes much of the nervousness away.

KYsunshine

Thanks for sharing your story this is very encouraging. I am scheduled to be banded 5/3.

Best wishes in your recovery.

thanks for sharing I'm getting banded on the 11 and still a little nervous.But your story make it sound a little better.

glad things went so smoothley- good luck for the rest of you too. I am sure you will all find things go fine too. even when challenges do arise the outcome is usually really postive and I like to see that. we need to see both sdes of the coin. I have had some challenges but I am glad I have my band, would not trade it in for the world

Amwlady- thanks for the post. I am being banded on Monday and am getting nervous. It was good to see you rate your pain. Also, that the surgery went quickly. I am so busy right now trying to make it through my pre-op diet and get my house clean and laundry done that I am not thinking too much about it. My mom is coming to stay with me for a few days. How long do you think it will be before I can drive my kids around and do things around the house?

Cheryl s.