Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In Case of the Unthinkable...

donali

I think most of us were going through withdrawals from LBT yesterday. It went down while I was online about 3:30am PST.

I just set up a Yahoo! mail account that I thought we could all use in case something did happen to this board - we could go and check the mail at

lbtboard@yahoo.com

password: weightloss

to meet up again.

Just a thought, don't know if it will work or not. Otherwise I would imagine we would regroup through www.spotlighthealth.com or one of the Yahoo! bandster groups.

I missed you guys!!

:D

Alright Donali! Yup, yesterday was an awful day for me! I came here about every five minutes looking to see if it was up. Thank you so much for setting this up! You are a sweetie!

Betty

I thought it was my computer! I called the cable company guy and everything! He told me my computer had a virus! No joke! I almost took my computer to Best Buy to get cleaned out.

I even went as far as to go to the public library and tried to log on there and no luck. I knew then that my computer was'nt the problem. How often does that happen?

It's never happened to this site that I'm aware of. I have no idea how Alex has set up the hosting, and since he seems to be unavailable, I'm not sure how we can ensure that this site keeps going, year after year.

The Yahoo boards are free, and I don't think those groups require much maintenance if they're unmoderated, but this type of forum is SO much better. But it does usually cost money to buy an address ($35 a year with an initial 2 year commitment) and then you have to have hosting. There are some free hosting sites out there, but I don't know if they give enough memory to host a site like this.

So I can only imagine that this endeavor is costing Alex some money, and I don't know what happens if he ever decides he doesn't want to do it anymore, or God forbid something happens to him.

Alex? Are you out there? :D

Thanks Donali, that is a great idea. I jotted down the address and password. I emailed Lisa to see if it was just me or if she could not get on either yesterday . We are all a bunch of LBT addicts :D all having withdrawls yesterday !

I do recall it happening one other time in the last 5 months but it was only down for about 4 hours not the entire day.

Ok, so I'm not completely nuts. I tried a bajillion times to get here yesterday. Even if I don't post all that much, it's nice to read what's going on with other people, and offer help if I can.

As for hosting, I actually work for a hosting company. I would venture to guess that yesterday's outage maybe had something to do with all the flooding back East. The hosting company that is hosting this site is in NY. It's just a guess, I don't have anything that tells me this, but lots of things are having issues because of all that Water.

As for a 'backup'... if something were to happen, I could probably get a site set up in little time. It would take time to make it pretty like this one, but I could make a functional forum. Domains at my company are $15 a year, and hosting is $6.95 per month. I'm sure that plan would have enough space to host the forum, but it's the bandwidth that might be an issue. Anyhow, it's just an idea if something were to happen to our currently lovely site. :D

ANYHOW, it was nice to come back and find everything up and running this morning :D.

Hi Sarah -

That's good info to know.

Of course, it would be a crying shame to lose the wealth of knowledge contained in all the posts here... :D Funny how one never thinks of these things until there is some sort of outage...

I'm sure my paranoia will fade in a few days... Right???? :D

I thought work was kicking me off...I run 3 computers and while taking data on antennas, I read and surf.

This sight has been my support for over a year. I couldn't imagine life without it.:D

Donali, THANK YOU!! I'm sure you were all cursing me out yesterday, but let me assure you I was having the same problem as everyone else. My online time has been severely limited lately, and when I discovered last night that I still couldn't get here I started to comb through my old e-mails looking for contact information for Alex. (I'll get it now, you can be sure.) But I was interrupted yet again by a little girl needing attention, and I had to run.

What a joy to find you all here again this morning! :D And Donali, your idea is terrific. If LBT wasn't back up today I was going to post LOOKING FOR LBTers notices at Spotlight and on a couple of Yahoo lists.

I've asked Alex before about how he's supporting LBT and whether the day will come that he just wants to bow out. He said it's just a tiny part of what he carries on his servers at all times anyway and he couldn't see any reason why he'd change anything. But if nothing else, we absolutely need an e-mail list or something to let us keep in touch.

Whew!!

I've asked Alex before about how he's supporting LBT and whether the day will come that he just wants to bow out. He said it's just a tiny part of what he carries on his servers at all times anyway and he couldn't see any reason why he'd change anything.

Wow, Alex, you are a saint for hosting this site! I didn't realize it was a part of your own servers.

Alexandra, so glad you have a way of contacting him. Please let him know that if at any time in the future he wants to bow out to please let us know - I'm sure we would want to somehow move this site if possible and keep it going with all the current history.

:D

I was shocked yesterday too when I tried to get on and wasn't getting it. I had the same problem of no personal email addresses of others too. Glad I eventually caught up and discovered it was across the board. We do need to talk to Alex and find out what/ if he needs anything from all of us to keep this going. I would happily pitch in. Teresa

I was so scared it would not come back online that I went and bought the domain name www.lapbandchat.com just in case I needed to start another board. So if something happens again and it doesn't come back online look for this board. I will certainly start one.

Yes if Alex ever decides he is not interested in continuing the site then I hope he contacts some of us and gives us the option of buying it from him.

My email address is Penni60@aol.com or Penni@pennimerrick.com

Not having access to all of you is like being cut off from your family. Heck, I was cut off from my band family. I don't get on the other boards much, but i love this one. You guys are the best and I would do whatever it took to keep this board running. I NEED YOU ALL.........