Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questioning your medical team

Hello all who are getting ready for, at least for me, the first day of the rest of your life. I have been on these forums for over 3 years lurking for several months before joining. One of the most consistent things I see posted by folks in their pre-op diet or newly sleeved are questions relating to directions their doctor, surgeon, nutritionist, physician's assistant, insurance coordinator ... gave them.

"Why did the nurse tell me to remove my piercings prior to surgery?"

"Am I going to have a catheter for surgery?"

"Why is my doctor requiring me to quit smoking prior to surgery?"

"Why am I on Clear liquids right after surgery?"

"Why can't I have ice chips or popsicles after surgery?"

"Why does ... ?"

On and on the questions go, and I and others are happy to share our experience with everyone. But I would also like to suggest that when you are given these instructions, ask the person right then and there. You are not going to offend them (providing, of course, you ask in a respectful manner) and in fact, you will probably impress them as you are taking more active role in your health and understanding what you need to do to aid in your success.

This is especially true post op if they are ordering tests. Find out why they are ordering them and what the results mean. Make sure your medical team in the hospital is all on the same page at all times. You wouldn't think that you need to be the coordinator of this, but sometimes you do. My wife wouldn't have her appendix right now had I not stepped up to inform one doctor of another doctor's request to have some tests run. They were getting ready to cart her off to surgery when I jumped up explaining that Dr XXX wanted a more thorough urinalysis done as he was thinking stones. He was correct and why this Dr didn't know about the other tests being ordered ... well.

The bottom line is you, and/or your family/support network need to be your own advocate. Don't be afraid to speak up and ask questions. Knowledge is power.

I was hours away from having my gall bladder removed because I showed similar symptoms and had WLS. Dr's assistant tried to make me feel silly for questioning the need. Dr told me non surgical options for treating bad gall bladder. A HIDA test was recommended and it proved my GB was functioning at. 99%. Unnecessary surgery avoided.

Be your own advocate!! Ask questions. If the Dr makes you feel silly by asking then you gave the wrong doctor

Completely agree! It's funny, just this morning I was thinking about making a post and calling it Ask Your Doctor -- because I have been seeing so many questions here that are really more appropriately addressed to a health care professional who knows you than to a bunch of internet strangers. I love this forum and, as you can see by my post count, spend way too much time running my trap on it . . . but my goal is to never ask a question seeking medical, diet, or exercise advice here. I paid a program fee to my surgeon's practice and I will get my money's worth by emailing them every question I have! Plus they are the ones with all sorts of degrees and access to my charts, so they really are the ones who should be answering my questions.

This is a good thread.

There is a lot of variation on what program or protocol a particular surgeon uses. I like evidence based medicine ... meaning, they may not KNOW everything (and they surely don't!) but they have a particular reason for each of the things they ask us to do and not do. I decided to sign up for a program and then actually follow it even if it differs from what others on this forum were asked to do by their program. In the couple of years since my VSG, even my practice has changed a few things... they continually refine and improve.

I love getting PMs from newbies and I want to support everyone the same way that others support me. I struggle with ones that basically read "what is the secret to your success?" I am tempted to write down the 101 things that worked for ME, but the truth of the matter is it boils down to something much simpler. I picked a surgeon with a very good track record and a very good comprehensive follow up program - and I complied the very best I could and sought out support when I struggled. The details under that almost don't matter...

So, back to the original point... ask the WHYs and clarify the WHATs from your program/surgeon/NUT/coordinator or whatever. If you picked a practice that has an outstanding track record of success - that is your best ticket to your own success, not what some invisible online cowgirl or PDxdude told you. :)

I love getting PMs from newbies and I want to support everyone the same way that others support me. I struggle with ones that basically read "what is the secret to your success?" I am tempted to write down the 101 things that worked for ME, but the truth of the matter is it boils down to something much simpler. I picked a surgeon with a very good track record and a very good comprehensive follow up program - and I complied the very best I could and sought out support when I struggled. The details under that almost don't matter...

This. So good.