Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Ally <br> I am sorry you two had to experience such a scary situation! What makes yours even scarier is that you were bringing a life into the world when you nearly lost yours. <br><br> If I didn't have the money I assume they wouldn't have let me leave, or they would have arrested me or something. <br><br> Thank you for your sincere thoughts. Best luck to you!

GreenEye how has your post-op recovery been?

It's a valid question. I never said I was against it just help me to understand. Mexico does not have a good healthcare system I have family there.

It's a valid question. I never said I was against it just help me to understand. Mexico does not have a good healthcare system I have family there.

DaddyMarie,

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it wasn't a valid question. It's just usually the question is a result of misconceptions about healthcare in the States.

There is a difference between the care people receive in state run (or public) facilities vs. private for-profit institutions wherever you go. So when we talk about Mexico, the Carribean or wherever, we aren't necessarily referring to the same institutions that are utilized by the residents of the area. The facilities that people are going to cater to tourists. This is how they make their money. These wouldn't necessarily be the same facilities that make the indigenous women give birth on the front lawn.

There are definitely some horror stories about Mexico. But there are some facilities here that you couldn't pay me to visit. The difference is that while I wouldn't be able to afford a private facility here, I could afford one in MX.

The typical MX patient is someone that either does not have coverage for their medical procedure or their insurance costs make it unattainable. The MX option allows for affordable, quality, customized healthcare. Most people wouldn't be able to afford that option here and wouldn't get the perks offered in MX.

Does that make sense?

Ally

The US does not have a great healthcare system either. I went to Mexico and without hesitation I can say I received better care there than I do here. I find it ironic that I have the best health insurance I've ever had, yet my care has not been on par with my expectations. My surgeon in Mexico identified a few issues that my doctor here ignored and refused to look into after I asked both verbally and in writing months before my surgery. I'm currently looking for a new doctor. I don't know if the doctor is necessarily the problem - I think insurance regulations and the "get em in get em out and make the most money doing it" mentality is the problem.

I'm so sorry for your experience; how are you doing now?

To: DaddyMarie-To answer your question-I am going to Mexico because my insurance company denied me wls based on BMI and lack of obesity-related diseases. I find it ridiculous that Kaiser (known for preventative medicine) offered me a diet/exercise plan. I laughed and said "thank you" and started looking for a surgeon in Mexico. They did not want to hear the long list of diets I have been on since I was 12. They don't care how many years you have battled your weight or how many pounds you have gained and lost over and over. Left in the hands of the US healthcare system, I would have to wait until my health deteriorated to get the surgery I need. I chose to do this now before I fell into diabetes or other issues.

I would have rather stayed in the US and had the surgery covered, but I am grateful for this opportunity in Mexico.

I also find there is this weird moralistic tone in US healthcare toward the whole weight loss thing. I went to Mexico and they were just kind of matter of fact about it, like they were fixing a bone or an appendix or something. It wasn't preachy or judgemental, like "naughty naughty you must not be trying hard enough."

I couldn't justify the 20k to have surgery in my city, vs a 2-hr plane ride and 4500 bucks.

I also find there is this weird moralistic tone in US healthcare toward the whole weight loss thing. I went to Mexico and they were just kind of matter of fact about it, like they were fixing a bone or an appendix or something. It wasn't preachy or judgemental, like "naughty naughty you must not be trying hard enough."

I couldn't justify the 20k to have surgery in my city, vs a 2-hr plane ride and 4500 bucks.

well-said! I was watching a youtube video about 2 nurses (best friends) who were sleeved together and their superiors at the hospital were making comments about their surgeries, saying it was a choice and they just needed to diet. The attitude in this country toward obesity is ridiculous.

Yes, hindsight is great.

And I don't know all your interactions with your surgeon prior to your surgery.

But if I knew I had a history of blood clotting problems, i.e., my blood didn't clot well, I'd certainly have had a specific conversation about my pre-existing conditions with the surgeon in person before having undergone elective surgery.

And if I'd had that kind of blood-clotting problem (did you mean you'd twice tested POSITIVE for Von Willibrand Disease surgery?) I'd have had the surgery at a facility where any clotting complications could be addressed adequately.

Finally, if my mother were a physician specializing in diseases of the blood, why hadn't she explained the severity of your blood-clotting disability? Heck, it's a wonder you didn't bleed to death on a playground when you were a kid. Von Willibrand Disease is more common than hemophilia.

There's much about this story I find confusing.

We went to Mexico and received much better care than we ever could have gotten here in the states. They are a true free market system, meaning their price has to be right and their service has to be right or they go out of business. Here in America, as long as,a doctor is in network with an insurance company, they've already made their money regardless of their level of service.

The facilities were spotless.

The staff bent over backwards for us.

Not to mention it cost us about 1/3 to have it done there. (Thanks obama)

Dr Hidalgo in Puerto Vallarta is amazing. I'd recommend it to anyone considering surgery.