Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I should Introduce Myself

Hi My Name is Vicki, I live in Indpls. Indiana.

I am 49 years old. Feel like I am eight nine.

I have a BMI of 38. I am four feet ten inches, weight 188.

I have seveal comorbidtys: Diabetes, type 2, trying to be controlled by insulin and oral meds, not doing such a hot job. Also, when I am on insulin I swell and am in a lot of pain in many areas of my body. I am sensitive to it or allergic or something.

sleep apnea, I use a Bipap at night with a settin of 17/12.

I have high blood pressure. Take meds for this.

Have asthma and COPD, take inhalers and oral meds for this.

I am short of breath most of the time. Partly because of the asthma but a bigger part because my stomach is large and hard and presses on my lungs making it very hard to breath.

I have stress incontinence.

I suffer from depression, (wonder why?)

My Diabetes (INDO) Doc brought up WLS to me first. I thought you had to be more overweight then I am to have this. But his feeling is that it is the only way to control my diabetes. He says I need to be skinny, and I need to eat a low calorie diet but not be starving all the time.

I am sure he is thinking GASTRIC BYPASS, but I feel the LAP BAND is the perfect tool to help me accomplish just what he is saying will help me.

So I am at the beginning stages.

I have done a lot of research on the band. I have read this site front and back and others too.

I feel LAP BAND is exactly what I need.

I saw my PCP this past week. He didn't seem to sure about this. He for sure knew nothing about the LAP BAND. So as his last ditch effort he prescribed me TOPAMAX, a med for seizures, with a side effect of weight loss. I took it for two days and felt really strange. Not sure if I will take it anymore or not.

The PCP will send in a referral to the Insurance Company. But I don't think he holds out much hope that they will cover it.

So my fight begins.

I see the Diabetic DOc this thursday as well as my Pulmonologist. Next week I see my Sleep Doc. SO I plan on getting statements and records from each to give to the PCP to go along with his referral.

ANy advice on how to proceed would be so appreciated.

I learn something from you guys everyday.

Thanks for being here.

Vicki in INdy

Hi Vicky,

I see that you have a lot of health concerns... I am sorry about that. I will tell you a little about my journey so that you can see that you are not alone. My health was better than yours but my journey was simular. I started out by injuring my knee. I fell really hard and I weighed around 280 at the time. I rehabed it and felt pretty good until I fell again. This time my doc said the only way to truly get it back into shape was to loose at least a hundred lbs. I ran into a woman and knew a couple of friends who had the other surgery and I now started to contemplate it. Then I found out about the band...I knew this was the way for me. I made an apt with my Dr. (HMO) and he said I qualified for the gastric bypass that would have cost me my co pay of $5.00. But now I had already reasearched the difference and I knew that I wanted the band because I did not want the complicatons that go with the bypass. They told me the results were not proven and I had to either have the bypass or self pay. So I did a little more research and discovered a Dr who I would go to. Dr. Rodriguez in Monterey , MX. It cost me around 10,000 but I will never regret it.

I hope you are able to have it done here, because while I am glad for my choice my folow ups are not on a regular basis. If you don't need a lot of support or you can find a l;ocal follow up Doc. I would do it.... I hope this helps!:mad:

Vicki, if you haven't already checked out the "insurance" section of this board, please do so; it's a subheading under "general discussion." You'll find some helpful comments there. Good luck to you!

Hello Vicki!

The more you read and talk to people that have been through simular situations as you, the more comfortable you'll feel.

This is a great site for support and information. Feel free to ask away!

T

Welcome to the site Vicki... you will find lots of support and information here! It sounds like you have really done your homework and I think you are making a very wise choice in opting for the band. Good Luck and keep us updated!

Darcy

Thanks Darla.

Yesterday I spent the entire day trying to get into the site. Felt like I had lost a friend.

Then all of sudden I thought well I will try once again and LapBandTalk came up. I was so happy.

It is amazing how much the support and information from others in a persons same situation mean. It is like a life line.

I am sure this place has been a life line to many.

Vicki in Indy

Welcome Vicki! I use to live in Indiana, so I am kinda familiar with Indy! I have been to a few of the races there. You will like this board, there is lots of support and great people here.

Betty

Vicki, best of luck to you! You will feel so much better if you can get a realistic weight loss aid! My blood pressure, asthma, and reflux have been reduced drastically (and the meds. too). This is saving me and the insurance company $$ immediately and long-term. Hopefully more and more insurance companies will see the Lapband as a win-win situation.:D

That is exactly what I am hoping for. I am confident the band will improve my health and save me and the insurance company a lot of money and I plan on letting them know that too.

My health at this rate has no where to go but down without a huge change. And I think the Band is the tool I need to make the change. And make it permanently.

No more yo yo dieting.

No more fads,

just eating healthy and less,

with the help of the band, and then being able to be off insulin and able to exercise. Quality of life should improve drastically.

thanks for all your responses.

vicki in indy