Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A few questions from a pre-op if you don't mind

I don't have a date yet but I am trying to get used to some things already...a few questions though.

1. I'm trying to do the no Water 30mins prior, during and 30mins after a meal. It's definitely difficult because I love ice Water with meals BUT I am doing it. Is this a life-long change? Or just the first year?

2. I tried a shake this morning (1 scoop of whey chocolate powder (30g of protein) and 8oz of chocolate almond milk). It was so grainy and thick, blech! Is there a better one? How do I find a good one? Is it necessary to have shakes? Are there any that are pre-made so I don't have to make them?

3. Is there no snack between meals ever? I'm trying to think of all Proteins now but for example, sometimes I would have a cup of raspberries as a snack in the morning. Or have a half a grapefruit in addition to what I'm having. Are these now no-no's?

4. I'm switching to Decaf so I can get used to no caffeine. I know if I do have coffee I'll have to drink even more water to make up for it. What else can you drink besides water? I love water but HATE it in the morning.

5. Do you have to puree food the 2nd week? The thought of eating pureed chicken or tuna makes me kinda sick lol...

Thanks!

I forgot to add, if you go to the movies post-op, do you eat nothing?

Also are Gummy candy's a no-no for life?

Thanks again!

I drink 30 minutes before. I drink right until I take my first bite. But never during and sometimes 30 minutes after wasn't enough time. The first time your stomach reacts like a plunger and you upchuck, you won't be tempted again

Isopure makes a Protein drink that's more like Kool aid, not a shake. Comes in like 8 flavors. Admittedly it has an aftertaste unless ya doctor it up. I mix lemon in mine and pour over crushed ice and imagine it's a slurpee

I didn't do the purée stage. I stayed on liquid stage an extra week or. 2. No one says that in exactly one week you must do this or that. Do what ya need to get by. At that stage, getting fluids and Protein is most important Everything else is negotiable.

Forget about the popcorn for a LONGGGG while. Sick on a breath mint or something. Eat before you go and you'll be too full to snack

I don't drink coffee. Can't help ya there

The drinking rule is for life. You'll get used to it. It took me awhile but I'm fine with it now.

powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury.com - chocolate splendor is a good Protein as well as their strawberry sorbet.

Premier Protein makes a ready to drink in choc and vanilla. VERY GOOD. After surgery they seemed a little thick to me but can be watered down.

Syntrax Nectars are good Protein powders, too. They makes some that aren't "milky" but more like fruit juice. It's a nice change.

My doctor didn't require a pureed stage. He also doesn't like Snacks but your doctor may be ok with it.

I drink up until my first bite as well and typically wait at least 45 minutes before drinking anything more then a sip to rinse my mouth.

Immediately post op for the first month I used the Bariatric Advantage Protein powder, but have after I got on soft foods, I switched to a single ready to go Protein shake (Premier Protein from Costco) which I drink halfway between Breakfast and lunch.

I didn't puree anything either (puree actually wasn't on my plan) - for me it was 3 days of Clear liquids, then 2 weeks of full liquids, then 2 weeks of soft foods, then back to regular food as tolerable. As far as Snacks, at this stage I find I do need to snack a bit between meals in order to get in my recommended Protein. A snack for me is usually something like a cheese stick or a Danon Light and Fit yogurt (12g protein,80 cal!)

My surgery team didn't outlaw caffeine out right, just to cut back. Immediately after surgery I didn't have any caffeine until I was on regular foods. At this point I usually have one Americano every other day or so. I use Crystal light powder or other flavor liquids in my Water.. post op I find I can't drink Water as well when it is plain.

For movies, I only get a water, and maybe take in a Protein Bar and eat half of it. I'm staying away from popcorn until I get to my goal.

A lot of the answers will vary depending on your surgeon's rules . . . I'll tell you the rules I live by, but yours will likely be different in small or big ways!

1. I'm trying to do the no Water 30mins prior, during and 30mins after a meal. It's definitely difficult because I love ice Water with meals BUT I am doing it. Is this a life-long change? Or just the first year?

It's for life, but my rules say I can drink water prior to meals, just not during or after.

2. I tried a shake this morning (1 scoop of whey chocolate powder (30g of protein) and 8oz of chocolate almond milk). It was so grainy and thick, blech! Is there a better one? How do I find a good one? Is it necessary to have shakes? Are there any that are pre-made so I don't have to make them?

People have wildly different tastes in Protein. There are tons of different brands. Your surgeon may have specific rules about how many carbs, calories, etc. your Protein Shake can have. It's fine to sample different Protein Shakes before surgery, but you need to also sample them after surgery before you commit to purchasing anything larger than a sample. Most people find their tastes change after surgery.

Here are some places to get samples:

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/protein-powders/protein-powder-samples-1-serving.html

http://www.vitalady.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?search=action&keywords=protsamp&SortKey=sku&SortOrder=ascending

http://www.chikenutrition.com/chike-variety-pack.html

http://www.unjury.com/store/protein/unjury-starter-kit.html

http://www.mybariatricpantry.com/Bariatric_Protein_Samples_s/35.htm

If you found a chocolate shake with almond milk too thick and grainy, you might want to check out the Syntrax nectar line (fruit flavors, mix with water) or unjury chicken Soup. You might also need a different blender!

Pre-made? Yes, there are lots out there. The ones I see mentioned the most are Premier Protein, Pure Protein, EAS, Muscle Milk Light, Oh Yeah, and Isopure. I pretty much hated all the premade ones but lots of people love them.

3. Is there no snack between meals ever? I'm trying to think of all Proteins now but for example, sometimes I would have a cup of raspberries as a snack in the morning. Or have a half a grapefruit in addition to what I'm having. Are these now no-no's?

I wasn't allowed Snacks other than Protein drinks between meals for the first six months, but have gradually added in solid Snacks. The main danger, according to my dietician, is that lots of people tend to snack on things that aren't good for them, or tend to start grazing mindlessly. She blames snacking for most people who get off track with their weight loss or weight maintenance. Furthermore, you would probably want to be thinking about protein-focused snacks rather than fruit.< /p>

4. I'm switching to Decaf so I can get used to no caffeine. I know if I do have coffee I'll have to drink even more water to make up for it. What else can you drink besides water? I love water but HATE it in the morning.

First of all, caffeine will not dehydrate you. There are lots of scientific studies out there to prove it. My surgeon says no caffeine or coffee for the first six months because it can be a gastric irritant. Other things that I drank: G2, Powerade Zero, decaf tea. Plus I would add Crystal Light or Mio to water to make it more palatable.

5. Do you have to puree food the 2nd week? The thought of eating pureed chicken or tuna makes me kinda sick lol...

I didn't start on purees until four weeks out. But yes, under my surgeon's plan, pureed meant pureed. And after four weeks of liquids, pureed tuna and pureed chicken tasted delicious, believe me. Especially when I pureed them with a strong sauce and then heated them up in the microwave with some cheese to melt on top. Just like a casserole.

I forgot to add, if you go to the movies post-op, do you eat nothing?

Well, I might smuggle in some almonds or beef Jerky but I'm certainly not going to eat any of the crap they sell at the concession stand. Honestly food just isn't as important to me as it used to be. I go to the movies to enjoy the movie, I don't think about food much.

Also are Gummy candy's a no-no for life?

I'm not sure why gummy candies would be a no-no once you reach maintenance, as long as you can be responsible with the calories and carbs and not let an occasional treat turn into a bad habit? I've not heard about gummies of any sort being forbidden once you are released to all food textures and have reached your goal weight.

I also think it's important to note that it is incredibly difficult to stick to this type of plan pre op but once you have surgery it's a total game changer. As far as; Is this forever or temporary? The whole reason for having surgery is to make permanent changes so the rules are, for the most part, permanent. The way you think about food and the relationship you have with food changes dramatically after surgery. If you really take advantage of the "rules" in the first few months post op it sets you up to successfully follow them for life. Good luck!

1. I'm trying to do the no Water 30mins prior, during and 30mins after a meal.…

Yep, it's lifelong. It's something most of us have to work at to "learn". But from what I understand, it's critical to success.

2. I tried a shake this morning (1 scoop of whey chocolate powder (30g of protein) and 8oz of chocolate almond milk). …

I'm partial to Isopure Protein Water (the pineapple is my favorite). It does have an aftertaste, but it packs a Protein punch, which is much needed, especially when you're in the liquid diet stage(s). For powder, I like Eat the Bear brand. It’s a little on the sweet side, but it dissolves quickly and smoothly in water, and the taste is OK. I’ve also recent purchased Garden for Life Raw Protein in the Chai Tea flavor. Don’t really care for it, but I do half and half with the Eat the Bear powder. It is based on sprouted seeds and has some Fiber, which I could use right now.

3. Is there no snack between meals ever?

In a perfect world, Snacks should probably be protein based (sardines, Jerky, small amounts of Peanut Butter, greek yogurt, cheese sticks, etc…) I think you’ll find your hunger greatly diminished, and the need for a snack might subside a bit.

4. I'm switching to Decaf so I can get used to no caffeine.

I’ve been having caffeine since a few days post-op, though it’s 1 medium Dunkin in the morning (with cream). Herbal tea, water, Isopusre and water flavored with True Lemon/True Lime make up the rest of the day.

I had 3 days Clear Liquids pre-op, than 1 week clear liquids post-op, second week full liquids, and pureed foods starting week 3. I couldn’t wait until I was able to have scrambled eggs. I’ll be on purees until April 20. Pureed chicken breast isn’t that bad if you puree it with chicken stock and serve it up with a dollop of mushroom gravy. My doctor allows for white fish, flaked (doesn’t have to be pureed), so I enjoy that too. Liver pate has become a new staple for me.

Best of luck to you!

Hey you!! You're doing some awesome changes!

The no-liquids-with-meals thing is pretty much forever. :( HOWEVER I do sometimes take a tiny sip during a meal, just a little, to quench thirst or whatever. Not even a mouthful, just a "get my mouth wet" amount.

I like the Premier Protein shakes from costco (they have them at Sams too)... 30g Protein, low carb, low fat... The strawberry creme flavor is decent. My partner prefers the Muscle Milk shakes which have more carbs/fat unless you get the "light" ones. I totally prefer spending extra on pre-made shakes!!

Re: coffee - you can do some awesome Decaf flavors, and there's also chicken broth! (Or beef or veg or whatever flavor). I doctor my chicken broth up with some season salt (just a little) and some garlic - the extra calories are negligible - throw it in the microwave and warm it up... it's like Soup, without substance. Very very good for pre-op.

NO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO ACTUALLY PURÉE ANYTHING. Hooray! Nothing is less appetizing than a two-ounce cup of lumpy baby food!! "That's just gross," said my surgeon!! Yay!

Stewed meats - stuff that's been cooked a long time that you can basically cut with a spoon - that's a "soft food". I did really well with some not-spicy chili (Beans and stewed meat, no hard veggies), turkey lunchmeat (Boars Head no-preservative stuff), even rotisserie chicken from the store. I'd add a slice of cheese or a babybel / lolCow cheese or a string cheese.... So yum! Just chew it really thoroughly.

:)