Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Traveling & vacationing with your sleeve

I would like to hear tips and suggestions from others for when traveling for business or on vacation. I just finished two weeks of work related travel where someone else was controlling much of the food offered, which included dessert placed in front of me twice a day. I am pleased that I was still able to lose four pounds in two weeks. I made every effort to get extra exercise, such as always taking the stairs. According to my Fitbit my best day was 39 flights of stairs! (note, I nearly died on the staircase the first two days :wacko: ) I traveled by car so I took a small cooler along with ready to drink shakes. I also had a few Protein Bars with me. I also packed as much willpower as I could fit in my suitcase. :P Talking to my husband each evening helped as I could share the temptation in front of me.

I am going to an all-inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic in a few weeks. Since I will be traveling by air I can't take my cooler filled with Protein Shakes. Please share your suggestions for how I can enjoy the trip, including the many restaurants and constantly available food, yet not gain back any of the hard lost weight.

I am 5 weeks out have been doing great down 34lbs. I am on my yearly girls weekend right now. I am disappointed in myself I hv had a few cocktails... I've been eating good foods but I'm testing my pouch. I tried some veggies off the veggie tray which agreed with me, had some dip also :(. Even though I am having a great time can't wait to get home. I'm not ready for these challenges. I did bring my own food and have used some of it.

Anyway it's sounds like your doing great and keep up the good work!

Personally, I would aim for not gaining while on vacation at an all-inclusive rather than looking for a loss. I feel like that would be a good compromise for me on vacation. That would allow for some indulgence. Try to stick with the Protein first rule so you don't have room for too much junk.

And have fun!

Hey Mooncat!

I also will be traveling soon with my little sleeve. By the time we go 'wheels up' for out scuba vacation I will be about nine weeks out from surgery. Since my first month is an all-liquid diet, I will be well into smooshies and soft foods by the time I leave. My sister did ask if I would consider hold off the surgery until after our vacation. My reply was - NEVER. I may not be able to eat everything my dive buddies eat, but I can participate in everything and enjoy a glass of Water while they have their cheeseburgers in paradise.

I plan to take dry Protein power to mix with purchased bottled Water for use on the plane and in my room. The Protein powder will be my fall-back when good meal choices are slim. We will have menu options such as Soups and and lots of fresh-caught ocean fish that I am really looking forward to eating. I will miss eating the cibatta bread, but that isn't on my list of edibles any more.

Staying very hydrated will be my primary goal, so I will be bringing several of my favorite water bottles. Where we are going has the best-tasting pure water right out of the tap, so filling a bottle and keeping it handy will be easy. Then my next goal is to to maintain the right amount of Protein. My dive buddies and I usually end up dropping a few pounds over the vacation, even with eating as much as we normally do - its an active vacation with lots of lifting, moving and swimming.

I suppose I will miss the alcohol part of our vacation, but I don't often drink at home, so it shouldn't be too tough to bypass. I really don't feel 'deprived' any more like I did pre-surgery when I choose to not eat/drink something that isn't going to work for me. I guess I've turned a page on that, and it makes me happy.

I anybody has some special tips that helped them during travel, please chime in!

bodyweight.png?ts=1395506096

Katierichie, don't be disappointed with yourself over a few cocktails since you only have your girls weekend once a year. We have a sleeve, but we are still human and we give in to temptation on occasion. Tell your friends you NEED to go shopping and walk as much as you can to offset the alcohol and a little extra food. Alcohol is not an issue for me as I have never really been one to drink. I think when traveling I do tend to eat more than what I need because I have no way to refrigerate the remainder.

I am 5 weeks out have been doing great down 34lbs. I am on my yearly girls weekend right now. I am disappointed in myself I hv had a few cocktails... I've been eating good foods but I'm testing my pouch. I tried some veggies off the veggie tray which agreed with me, had some dip also :(. Even though I am having a great time can't wait to get home. I'm not ready for these challenges. I did bring my own food and have used some of it.

Anyway it's sounds like your doing great and keep up the good work!

Thanks Fishsticks. You have some really good ideas and a great attitude! I have not found a Protein powder that I am willing to drink just by mixing it with Water and shaking it. I would gag. What Protein do you use? The only way I can drink the powder is to mix it in a blender with milk, ice cubes and either banana, cocoa or powdered Peanut Butter.

The sweets are not a big issue for me, although before the surgery I would have thought they would be. I am just concerned about eating too much food at one time. I might take my tiny plate with me that I use at home. They will think I am crazy!

Hey Mooncat!

I also will be traveling soon with my little sleeve. By the time we go 'wheels up' for out scuba vacation I will be about nine weeks out from surgery. Since my first month is an all-liquid diet, I will be well into smooshies and soft foods by the time I leave. My sister did ask if I would consider hold off the surgery until after our vacation. My reply was - NEVER. I may not be able to eat everything my dive buddies eat, but I can participate in everything and enjoy a glass of Water while they have their cheeseburgers in paradise.

I plan to take dry protein power to mix with purchased bottled water for use on the plane and in my room. The Protein Powder will be my fall-back when good meal choices are slim. We will have menu options such as Soups and and lots of fresh-caught ocean fish that I am really looking forward to eating. I will miss eating the cibatta bread, but that isn't on my list of edibles any more.

Staying very hydrated will be my primary goal, so I will be bringing several of my favorite water bottles. Where we are going has the best-tasting pure water right out of the tap, so filling a bottle and keeping it handy will be easy. Then my next goal is to to maintain the right amount of protein. My dive buddies and I usually end up dropping a few pounds over the vacation, even with eating as much as we normally do - its an active vacation with lots of lifting, moving and swimming.

I suppose I will miss the alcohol part of our vacation, but I don't often drink at home, so it shouldn't be too tough to bypass. I really don't feel 'deprived' any more like I did pre-surgery when I choose to not eat/drink something that isn't going to work for me. I guess I've turned a page on that, and it makes me happy.

I anybody has some special tips that helped them during travel, please chime in!

bodyweight.png?ts=1395506096

Hmmm, I might be a little concerned about traveling on airlines with little baggies of dry powder. :o

I know when I go skiing, I hate dragging the skiis and boots with me so I ship them on ahead of time. Maybe a care package sent ahead would be an option. Just FYI.

Great point about the baggies of powder! I would hate to get stuck in customs trying to get into the country! Love your idea about shipping something ahead. I am going to check with the resort to see if they are okay with that.

Hmmm, I might be a little concerned about traveling on airlines with little baggies of dry powder. :o

I know when I go skiing, I hate dragging the skiis and boots with me so I ship them on ahead of time. Maybe a care package sent ahead would be an option. Just FYI.

I ship things to hotels all the time for work, just check their receiving address and address the package Attn: Hotel Guest John Smith, I do talk to the concierge or the front desk and ask they put a note on the reservation as well. I have shipped cases of Meal Replacement bars to Taiwan, 12 packs of Mtn Dew to Hong Kong, you name it I have shipped it to keep my field service team happy.

That said, commercially or home packaged single serve powder packets shouldn't be a problem in either your carry-on or checked luggage. They are concerned about gels and liquids, not solids or powders. Otherwise think of all of the bare minerals makeup that would be confiscated; -D

::::: pasting what I wrote on a similar topic::::

With those drink squirt things. ( Mio, etc ) it's easy to have low sugar or sugar free drink fluids all day.... There's free filtered Water on the ship. I mixed a Mio-type drink with seltzer over crushed ice and stayed happy

I purchased trial sizes of Protein powder and grabbed milk cartons from the Breakfast station and purchased a $1 from dollar store to use to mix any of that in...

If you let them know, Carnival will take out the overpriced Water, soda etc from the room fridge and allow you to use to store your medically necessary items. I explained that I needed it to store medicines and food related to my medical condition. No further questions were asked except if I would need receptacle to dispose of needles (like for diabetic injections)

I had a few alcoholic drinks. Maybe 3 the entire cruise. You will feel the alcohol faster but it seems to wear off just as fast. ( it really doesn't but our post op bodies trick us into thinking it does ) ... Being mindful of that I didn't drink everyday

With most cruises, there are so many opportunities to walk and even more. Water aerobics. Zumba on LIdo deck , the gym. Or just taking the stairs instead of the elevator.

I did a LOT of room service. And I had that chocolate cake every night.

I came home with less than 2 extra pounds that were well earned with no regrets. That's what vacations are for

Vogue,

I love Mio and it sounds great to put it on crushed ice! You did great to only gain 2 pounds. We won't be on a cruise, but the all-inclusive resort is a very large property. They have golf cart shuttles to get around, but I intend to walk. It is approximately 1/2 mile from the beach to the restaurants. I believe there are 7 pools, so I can exercise in the Water also. The rooms do have small refrigerators that they provide free beer, Water and soft drinks in, but I could take some shakes and put them in there. There is a lot of free alcohol provided in the room also, but not an issue for me as I have never been much of a drinker and have given it up totally now. I would rather eat my calories!

Interesting you would mention the chocolate cake. All the best Desserts are chocolate! However, I have found since my sleeve that even one bite of a true chocolate dessert upsets my sleeve terribly. Or perhaps it is more correct to say my intestines are upset. It makes me bloated and miserable. I am not sure why.

Thanks to all who replied - update post vacation:

Lost 3 pounds last week on the all-inclusive vacation! That is more than I usually lose per week at this stage. I ate what I wanted, but no rice, Pasta or fried foods - I did have a few bites of bread 2 or 3 times. I completely skipped all the free alcohol, but I had 1-2 bites of desert with dinner each day and my husband ate the rest. I took Protein powder packets with me and the staff was willing to blend them for me with a little juice or milk. I had them add a little fruit and ice. I also took some ready to drink chocolate shakes and kept them in the refrigerator in the room. I was also very careful to stay hydrated since it was about 85 degrees each day. I forgot to try Mio with crushed ice, which I was looking forward to.

I took all my Vitamins and Calcium chews for the week in a zip lock bag in my checked luggage, but they disappeared. I forgot to take them the first day, and when I looked for the bag on the second day, it was gone. I can only assume that either someone working at the airport in Punta Cana or the maid took them, perhaps thinking they might be drugs? I hope going one week without them won't do me any lasting harm.

One big change was the amount of exercise. My work is sedentary and it is a good day if my Fitbit records 3,500-4,000 steps. However, the resort we went to (Hard Rock hotel Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic) is so large that they run a golf cart shuttle to help you get around. I walked everywhere instead, so I was over 10,000 steps every day and went as high as 13,000! I have not exercised hardly at all since my surgery and now I see why others weight loss is much faster than mine. I know what I need to do...